2014 Calgary Flames Draft Chatter

Brewin Flames

Last year the flames (imo) hit a homer with the selection of Monahan at #6...

Monahan is mentioned in Calder trophy talk, but i doubt he'll take the title home, and even getting Klimchuk, Porier, and Kanzig in the latter round could prove to be steals.

Picking at #4 in 2014, will they have the same luck ?

At this spot, they would be hard pressed NOT to pick a guy who could step in next season and make an impact.

IMO, any of the Sam's would do, bennett or reinhart, and it could only be a miracle if for some twisted reason Ekblad is still there at #4.

Either way, i'm bound to be happy with whoever they choose in the first round esp selecting in the top 5 at best. I'm more interested to see what they can pull of the round #2, as they have two picks , #34 and #54 respectively.

I'm still not sold on Calgary's netminding, and even though Ortio and Gillies are in the system, I'd LOVE IT if they took Thatcher Demko. He's a Boston College guy, so get watch him often, and he's the top rated netminder in the draft.

Perhaps Noah Rod at #54 ? He's a RW with a left handed shot, but scouts are weary of him, and the longer he slides in this draft the more apt he's gonna be to prove them all wrong, late in Round #2, i'd be willing to take a chance on him.

@Brewin Flames

Welcome to the forum. Love the logo!

I agree with Monahan. Several sources compared him to Sakic, I made a pointo f watching him whenever I watched a Flame game last year, he looks like a vet out there. Huge upside.

I don't see a goalie in the entire Flame organization that I would want. I could see them signing Jonas Hiller (or Chad Johnson) to get them through and drafting a goalie in round 2. Demko might not be a bad selection.

@Brewin Flames Welcome to the forum. Love the logo!

I agree with Monahan. Several sources compared him to Sakic, I made a pointo f watching him whenever I watched a Flame game last year, he looks like a vet out there. Huge upside.

I don't see a goalie in the entire Flame organization that I would want. I could see them signing Jonas Hiller (or Chad Johnson) to get them through and drafting a goalie in round 2. Demko might not be a bad selection.

Thanks, my computer skills beyond suck, and some stranger made it for me waaaaay back in the day, and i love it. As far asnetminding goes, i can appriciate kipper more and more now that he's gone. Can only Hope Gillies is the "next" one, but his time is at least another season or two away, which makes me drool over the thought of Demko.

Last year the flames (imo) hit a homer with the selection of Monahan at #6...

Monahan is mentioned in Calder trophy talk, but i doubt he'll take the title home, and even getting Klimchuk, Porier, and Kanzig in the latter round could prove to be steals.

Picking at #4 in 2014, will they have the same luck ?

At this spot, they would be hard pressed NOT to pick a guy who could step in next season and make an impact.

IMO, any of the Sam's would do, bennett or reinhart, and it could only be a miracle if for some twisted reason Ekblad is still there at #4.

Either way, i'm bound to be happy with whoever they choose in the first round esp selecting in the top 5 at best. I'm more interested to see what they can pull of the round #2, as they have two picks , #34 and #54 respectively.

I'm still not sold on Calgary's netminding, and even though Ortio and Gillies are in the system, I'd LOVE IT if they took Thatcher Demko. He's a Boston College guy, so get watch him often, and he's the top rated netminder in the draft.

Perhaps Noah Rod at #54 ? He's a RW with a left handed shot, but scouts are weary of him, and the longer he slides in this draft the more apt he's gonna be to prove them all wrong, late in Round #2, i'd be willing to take a chance on him.

Yeah, Demko is the consensus #1 goalie in this draft I think. He will likely be a 2nd round selection, but someone may gamble in the first.