Callahan re-signs, six years, 34.8 million

AJgoal

When you consider that they ended up with the Rangers' 1st this year and next, I think the 2nd is easy to swallow. I agree, though, the contract is a bit more than I would like.

Wow. Color me a bit surprised.

I guess I kinda had it in my head that Callahan will simply end up elsewhere and that the main parts the Bolts would have left from MSL's departure would be the two 1st round picks this year.

Obviously, I've heard the talk that TB may try keeping Callahan...I also heard stuff in regards to Callahan's price may be too steep AND that he may then get in the way of the Bolts' ability to retain certain RFA players and re-sign others when their contracts come due... i.e. Ben Bishop, 1 yr left...Steve Stamkos, 2 yrs left, and Victor Hedman as well, who has 3 yrs left on his deal.

To me, those three players represent the largest cornerstone players the Bolts have that are NOT RFA's that the team absolutely needs to keep.

Do I like the signing? Yes....but with cautious optimism.

Callahan NO DOUBT is a top grade player....can do it all just about...score, check, battle along the boards, crash the net, defend, play both sides on special teams, lead in the locker room and on the ice, heck, on occasion, the guy will even fight.

Thing is, none of those things he will be able to do well if he can't stay healthy...and he HAS been bitten with the injury bug a bit the last few seasons, missing some stretches of games.

Also, this contract takes him to the age of 35 with the team. Not terrible, but, given his style of play and the wear on his body to this point, it may be a concern about  halfway through the contract.

Will have to keep my fingers crossed on this. The annual price for Callahan is kinda steep, but it is palatable if the Bolts get great mileage out of the guy. Fortunately, Callahan won't have to be THE GUY in Tampa....that falls to Steve Stamkos. 

And to help Stamkos out, will be other guys who can take starring roles as well, such as Ben Bishop, Victor Hedman, Tyler Johnson, and hopefully, Jonathan Drouin.

If Ryan can take a mostly pseudo-starring role and be a great support member any other time, I am good with that.

Some other positives are that the Bolts bought out what remained of Malone's contract, Anders Lindback is out...meaning those are two guys the Bolts don't have to worry about paying or giving large contracts to any longer.

If the Bolts can somehow move the enigmatic Teddy Purcell and his 4.5 mil cap hit (2 yrs left) that could also go towards alleviating Callahan's financial burden on the team.

I suppose, finances aside, I really should be happy to see Callahan remain on the team.

After all, one of my biggest gripes last season was that outside Radko Gudas, sometimes Eric Brewer, Nate Thompson, BJ Crombeen, and when he was any good, Ryan Malone, NO ONE on the Bolts played with any consistent grit, and the team, at times seemed a bit too passive for my tastes....particularly on the PK.

Ryan Callahan and his aggressive play can change that dynamic and he also has the leadership qualities to possibly have that style of play rub off, even if just a bit, on some of his other teammates.

Guys like Hedman, Killorn, Palat, Panik, and Sustr have shown that they are capable of that kind of play when needed...perhaps it may take seeing first hand a vet like Callahan do it night in, night out, for those guys to make that part of their permanent gameplans, which in turn could make the Tampa Bay Lightning as a team THAT much harder to play against.

Yes, the price is a bit high, yes, the Bolts may have to get creative when it comes time to pay some other players (and be smart about NOT re-signing others), and yes TB gives up a 2015 2nd rounder.....but I am hoping the positives outweigh the negatives on this signing, and if the Bolts become consistent playoff contenders, make deep runs, and *gasp*, even win a Cup before Callahan is old n broken down, then it will have been worth it.  :)

Wow. Color me a bit surprised.

Things that make you go  :huh:  :huh: : 

Callahan at 6 years for 34.8 v. Gaborik at 7 years for 34.3. 

I know they are different players and all that and their is a slight age factor, but still Gaboriks signing makes Callahan look really overpaid (which I felt all along.). I get the intangibles that he brings and the leadership, but that money is still ridiculous in my mind. 

Kudos to Gaborik for signing what he did because that actually helps correct the market a bit. (the nhlpa is probably rolling their eyes, but so what). 

I have been reading that Buffalo planned on targeting this guy.

I could never see Callahan going to Buffalo (unless it was just about money). I think Tampa has a really good team that is only going to get better. Why go to the basement bunny team of the league for more money. Oh thats right, Callahan was traded for that exact reason!!!  :ph34r:

I think inking Callahan is a good signing by the Lightning, I believe he said no to 36M over 6 years with the Rangers before they traded him, as he was asking for 39M.   Callahan’s agreement with the Lightning includes a partial no-trade clause, NMC (2014-15 through 2017-18); Limited NTC (2018-19 and 2019-20) which is something he wouldn't agree to with the Rangers. There is also no state income tax in Florida - so more money in Callahan's pocket.

Callahan is a leader on and off the ice.  Add a healthy Stamkos and this team is going to be at the top of the pack next year in the Atlantic Division.

I think inking Callahan is a good signing by the Lightning, I believe he said no to 36M over 6 years with the Rangers before they traded him, as he was asking for 39M.   Callahan’s agreement with the Lightning includes a partial no-trade clause, NMC (2014-15 through 2017-18); Limited NTC (2018-19 and 2019-20) which is something he wouldn't agree to with the Rangers. There is also no state income tax in Florida - so more money in Callahan's pocket.

Callahan is a leader on and off the ice.  Add a healthy Stamkos and this team is going to be at the top of the pack next year in the Atlantic Division.

In the summer, he asked for 7.5m over 8 years (http://snyrangersblog.com/ryan-callahan-contract/). During the season, he asked for 7m over 6 years. 

Even foolish spender Sather balked at that. bye bye Calahan. 

Here are the comparables: 

1) Alexander Steen (30 y/o)- 5.8M cap hit (3 years): 33g, 29a, 62pts,  +17

2) Travis Zajac (29 y/o)- 5.75m cap hit (8 years): 18g, 30a, 48pts, +3 

3) Mike Richards (29 y/o)- 5.75m cap hit (12 years): 11g, 30a, 41pts,  -6

4) Tyler Sequin (22 y/o)- 5.75m cap hit (6 years): 37g, 47a, 84pts, +16

5) Jeff Skinner (22 y/o)- 5.725m cap hit (6 years): 33g, 21a, 54pts, -14

6) Dustin Brown (29 y/o)- 5.875m cap hit (8 years): 15g. 12a. 28pts, +7

7) Patrick Sharp (32 y/o)- 5.9m cap hit (5 years): 34g, 44a, 78pts, +13

8) Martin St Louis (39 y/o)- 5.625m cap hit (4 years): 30g, 39a. 69pts, +13

Ryan Calahan (29 y/o)- 5.8M cap hit (6 years): 17g, 19a, 39pts, +1

Out of that list, I only see one similar player: Dustin Brown (brown in fact won the Messier award (for leadership both on the ice and off the ice in communities / charities). Brown has broken the 60 point mark once, 50 point mark 4 times and the 40 point mark once. Calahan has broken the 50 point mark once and the 40 point mark twice. 

I know there are other intangibles, but really, when I look at that list for my bang for the dollar, Callahan is far down my list. 

@Vanflyer re: Callahan vs Gaborik signings

You know, I was thinking about those, and let's say for argument's sake that Gaborik's deal, dollar for dollar, for the production he brings IS the better deal.......still, we would have to go back to the old "fitting in" type thing.

At this point in time, while I aleady stated I agree that Callahan was perhaps overpaid by the Bolts, he brings EXACTLY what this team lacked so many times last year: Grit and toughness at key times.

And its not like the Lightning doesn't have players that can play that way, it's that, for whatever reason, they hadn't done it consistentlly outside of the few players I mentioned in my earlier post.

Callahan has the ability to not only play a tougher style game, but perhaps help bring that out more often in his teammates.

Flip flop the Gaborik and Callahan contracts, and I think Gaborik doesn't really improve the Lightning had he signed with them.

Sure, Gabby would have brought even more of scoring dynamic to the team, but it probably would have been short lived when the very good NHL defenses shut down the Bolts scoring.

Meanwhile, Callahan would have brought much less to the LA Kings, who already had plenty of grit, leadership, and tough grinding play and are always in need of pure scoring......something Ryan would NOT have brought them.

At the end of the day, when you are a small market team like the Lightning, you make the smart decisions regarding your young and/or homegrown talent, and yes, you may have to overpay to keep a much needed veteran type brought in from elsewhere. Such was also the case when the Bolts signed Matt Carle.

Carle was overpaid, but at the time, the Bolts needed a legit NHL caliber defenseman and he was the best fit available at the time....same with Callahan now:  best fit available for what the Bolts needed.

And again, as long as the Lightning are smart about who they retain going forward and if Callahan stays healthy enough for most of that contract for the Bolts to get what they paid for, then it is all good.

As a Lightning fan, THAT is where my single biggest concern with Callahan is: health.

Carle was overpaid, but at the time, the Bolts needed a legit NHL caliber defenseman and he was the best fit available at the time....same with Callahan now:  best fit available for what the Bolts needed.

All your points are valid and by no means did I mean to infer that Gaborik would have been the better fit in Tampa. At the end of the day, if he is overpaid for 800K-1m, yet the bolts can tolerate that overpayment and get the desired result, then I guess its okay. 

The hard part is that it exacerbates the cost / value ration (which the Flyers do routinely). Now, the next guy that is coming up to sign a new contract that has similar numbers can go and use Calahans as a comparable.  The flip side is that Gaborik lowered the scale by the significant home team discount he gave. 

At the end of the day every team has to fit within a salary cap and how each team decides to slice that up is their business. 

• Like 1