Major Changes Ahead for Sens

radoran

What about Cherry Hill's Bobby RyanTM?

One more year on his deal. He isn't likely going anywhere, at least at the start of the year, the Senators need his salary to reach the floor. Really sad, a couple of years ago this team looked like they were up and comers but now......

This team's been in trouble since the day they kept Redden and let Chara walk ;-)

But honestly... the ownership has kept this team afloat with canadian tire money and coupons.

Isn't their internal budget barely over the cap floor?

You can't make ANY mistakes with that kind of limitation. 

But honestly... the ownership has kept this team afloat with canadian tire money and coupons.

Oh, the irony that it's called the Canadian Tire Centre now, eh?

:)

They had to pay to build the highway interchange (all the on/off ramps). 

They also paid something like $22M in taxes one year, which was double all the American teams combined.

Plus all salaries are in US dollars, which means Canadian teams can see their payroll situation fluctuate wildly in any given year.

Hard to remain competitive in that kind of market.

@brelic  The Sens are gonna have to really overpay Bobby Ryan to have him stay in this mess, and even then he might leave. The key is Spezza, they need NHL goals for him, not pie in the sky maybe's. If they get a favourable return on Spezza, they might not be bottom feeders. If I was a Sens fan, I'd be thrilled to see the vastly overrated Michalak leave town, they can do better on the UFA market than that bum. Very soft player. A key will be the goaltending, it just has to be better. If they want a respectable 1-2 punch....they will need to find a center behind Turris, whether that comes from the Spezza deal or Zinjinablad stepping up....but he did not look ready to take on a top 6 role, but he just might need to anyways.

One more year on his deal. He isn't likely going anywhere, at least at the start of the year, the Senators need his salary to reach the floor. Really sad, a couple of years ago this team looked like they were up and comers but now......

This...

This team had been a real head scratcher for a couple seasons now.

You look at the players on the roster, what they had been able to do while missing key players at times, and the versatility the team showed in styles of play and you think "No way this team stays down for long".

Unbelievable job by Paul McClean with this team through its challenging phases by the way....and it seems they will have lots more challenge going forward.

Last season, there were two teams in the East who jumped out at me early on, that got me thinking they were underperforming given their rosters: the Ottawa Senators and the Philadelphia Flyers.

Well, obviously, Philly, while being far from a 'solved case' did what they needed to do to get into the playoffs, Ottawa never quite got out of the gate.

For every one thing you can level at Ottawa that they did 'wrong', you can also find a player or two on that roster that does exactly what you would want them to.

They don't score enough?

Hmm..well, they did have a number of players over 20 goals on the season...and a couple more close to that mark.

They don't defend enough?

Well, that may be a downright fair point...goaltending has always bailed this team out as their defense has been suspect for a few years now, and last season, the goaltending did not perform as many miracles

They aren't tough enough?

No need to look much further than Chris Neil, Zack Smith, and Matt Kassian for that, not to mention the gritty play they can get from some others such as Clarke MacArthur and Marc Methot.

I guess it is also a matter of team chemistry and putting things all together as a cohesive working unit.

Spurts and flashes of what could have been simply aren't going to cut it for this team.

Yea, they do have a mess going forward.

I've learned not to count out the Senators because seems that when people do that, they surprise, but honestly, even I have a hard time fathoming how they can come out next season and keep up with the likes of division rivals Boston, Montreal, Detroit, Tampa Bay, the always hard working Florida Panthers....and even no-defense Toronto!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

@brelic  The Sens are gonna have to really overpay Bobby Ryan to have him stay in this mess, and even then he might leave. The key is Spezza, they need NHL goals for him, not pie in the sky maybe's. If they get a favourable return on Spezza, they might not be bottom feeders. If I was a Sens fan, I'd be thrilled to see the vastly overrated Michalak leave town, they can do better on the UFA market than that bum. Very soft player. A key will be the goaltending, it just has to be better. If they want a respectable 1-2 punch....they will need to find a center behind Turris, whether that comes from the Spezza deal or Zinjinablad stepping up....but he did not look ready to take on a top 6 role, but he just might need to anyways.

Or they can trade away all of their top assets, and go for McDavid. 

He can't be worse than Alex Daigle, can he? ;)

#2 overall pick that year? Mr. Chris Pronger.