Gaborik re-signs with Kings, 7 years, 34.3 Million

AJgoal

That is insane.  This guy has a history of injuries.

I know he had a really good playoffs, but sheesh!

Would any other team out there have offered him more than 3 or 4 years???

This contract is utterly baffling to me.

@AJgoal

Thanks. I thought that Richards was a goner for sure, hard to argue with Lombardi after his success but I would have dropped Richards like a bad habit. That contract along with Gaborik's is going to get painful in four or five years.

I've been a fan of Gaborik since his Minnesota Wild days, to his travels to the Rangers, to Columbus and now Los Angeles.... wow...for some reason, Keep on Rockin Me by the Steve Miller Band pops in my head...haha.

Anyways.....outstanding game changer....but LA better hope to hell he can stay healthy.....its THE reason Minnesota didn't hang on to him in the first place at a time when the Wild were absolutely hurting for offense.

Good luck in LA Gabby....you got your Cup, but now, they are giving you the kind of money and tenure that says "Go help get us another one!"

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

@TropicalFruitGirl26

He is coming off a 7 million a year deal and his new deal is for a little less than 5 million. I think he might have gotten a million or so a year more in a shorter deal, but he now knows where he can finish his career. After wintering in Minnesota and Columbus, the thought of spending the remainder of his career in Los Angeles has to have a certain appeal.

The term is puzzling but a great resigning. I wonder if that means Richards is going to be bought out

I don't buy all the talk about LA possibly buying out Mike Richards' contract.  I think he fits what they do down the middle to a T (i.e. play solid 2-way hockey/strong defensive centers).

Kings have a solid core of four forwards, three defensemen and a goalie signed for at least the next four seasons. Kopitar has two more years on his deal. No one is making more than $7M.

They already have two Cups.

I think any "regret" they have at the end of these contracts will be salved by the championships upon which they were signed, especially if there is another one to come - and why wouldn't there be at least a legitimate chance of that in the next two seasons?

I can sort of see them signing Kopitar long term and then Lombardi essentially retiring with this group.

Really a heckuva job by Lombardi out there.

Not according to Lombardi. He said he heard exactly what he wanted from Richards, and he would not be looking to move him.

What was that? "I promise my party and philandering days are over. I will now focus on being a professional and committing to training as hard as possible instead of clubbing and banging beach bunnies all summer"?