Evander Kane wants to go to Philly?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scandal-alert--evander-kane-favourites-tweet-advocating-trade-to-flyers-212650517.html

Scandal alert: Evander Kane favorites Tweet advocating trade to Flyers

Back in the olden days, asking for a trade was a simple, straightforward affair. All you did then was storm past your coach, get right up to the team president who's sitting by the glass, tell him your time in his city was over, and that's it. Traded.

But times have changed. Nowadays, we prefer our NHLers demure, calculating, and maybe even a tad passive-aggressive. So instead of a big, showy "get me outta here", you get something a little more understated, like, say, favoriting a Tweet asking for you to be traded to another team. We'll call this the Evander Kane method:

Does this count as tampering? Asking for a friend.

Granted, Kane could just claim this was an accident. It's possible he favorited the tweet inadvertently, like maybe he was simply trying to click on "additional options", but his finger slipped and he hit the star instead, which in this case isn't just the favorite button, but also THE SCANDAL BUTTON.

If it was an accident, it's an amazing accident. The Flyers, after all, are hosting the NHL Draft this weekend, and no doubt general manager Ron Hextall, already no stranger to big, bold trades, might really enjoying doing what New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello did last year, by making the biggest, boldest trade of the day in front of his home fans.

And say, come to think of it, a left wing spot just opened up...

Now, lest you think we're making too much out of the favorite that shook the world, know that we're not the only outlet that took notice. Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun has also penned a piece on Kane's apparent endorsement of the Tweet.

The Kane Tweet only increased the chatter surrounding him, leading an annoyed Kevin Cheveldayoff to shut down the questions as best he could:

“These kind of questions are really unfair,” Cheveldayoff told reporters in Philadelphia. “There’s lots of conversations that go on and I’m sure that there were different levels of frustration at different points and times for different players. From our standpoint, Evander is a Winnipeg Jet. I know there are obviously lots of different rumours and that out there.

“At this point and time, that’s how we’re going to proceed. As far as any (trade) demands, we’re working as normal.”

Same for Kane. He's just sitting around, kicking it on Twitter, minding his own business, waiting by the money phone in case he gets traded, which he'd probably be okay with.

He's since un-favorited the tweet. WHICH ONLY MAKES HIM LOOK GUILTIER.

Can't see that going down that is over 10.4 mill in salary coming in....they only have 1.8 mill of cap space before LTIR money.

• Like 2

if something does happen I think both kane and big buff will be a flyer by draft day

Really? 10.5M in salary when we are at the wall on salary cap????  I just can't see it (and truthfully, not sure I am really interested in either player). 

I also thought speed was one of our priorities. Byf is not going to bring that. 

Can't see that going down that is over 10.4 mill in salary coming in....they only have 1.8 mill of cap space before LTIR money.

there are several combinations of players whose cap hits would equal that.  and not all of them would we be terribly angry to see leave.

i dunno about buff, but kane, they HAVE to deal kane.  people talk about dealing from a position of weakness; what's going on up there right now is as weak as it gets.  make up whatever trade scenario you want, but when it comes right down to it, the jets may just be happy to have the thing done with whatever they can get.  

luongo was dealt, with a bit of nothing, for a pair of nothings.  just to have it done.  i'll be a little surprised if kane isn't a flyer 24 hours from now.  july 1, at the latest.

• Like 1

I would love to have Kane. I'm just not sure we'd like the price. Yes, they're dealing from a position of weakness. But don't you think it would at least take a guy like Brayden Schenn? 

Why?? I honestly have not watched much of him. But what has he done in his career thus far. One great year in Juniors and one great year in the NHL from what it looks like on paper. What makes you "love to have kane" (in all seriousness)? 

Two things that stand out at me: He hits allot (usually leads the forwards in hits on his team); he shots a ton AND misses / doesn't score. His shooting % is 8.5% the last three seasons and he is third in the league in shots taken over that span. His assist totals suggest that his shots are either covered and play stops, or of the jeff carter variety of high and wide and play killers. 

You tell me. What the things that are appealing about him for you? 

Why?? I honestly have not watched much of him. But what has he done in his career thus far. One great year in Juniors and one great year in the NHL from what it looks like on paper. What makes you "love to have kane" (in all seriousness)? 

Two things that stand out at me: He hits allot (usually leads the forwards in hits on his team); he shots a ton AND misses / doesn't score. His shooting % is 8.5% the last three seasons and he is third in the league in shots taken over that span. His assist totals suggest that his shots are either covered and play stops, or of the jeff carter variety of high and wide and play killers. 

You tell me. What the things that are appealing about him for you? 

A few things. He's 22. He's scored 100 goals in the NHL already (ok, technically 99). He's already scored 30 in a season at this level. We need a power forward / sniping winger. He's better than anything we have. 

I would take him over any of Moulson, Vanek, Raymond, Iginla. Those guys would be typical Flyers signings. Getting Kane has the potential to solidify and stabilize the top line for a decade. WIth Giroux and Voracek, I think he scores 35 next season.

We had that potential in JVR, and we gave it away for a mediocre, slow as molasses defenseman.

If you swap Schenn for Kane, do you think it's a good deal? The #4 pick for the #5 pick.

I don't know, they're still both so young. At least Kane is a winger who's proven he can play wing at the top line level. Schenn has yet to show that he can play top line at any position.

• Like 2

Well, Kane...

- is only 22

- actually wants to play in Philly (*cough*JVR was a NYR fan*cough*)

- hits, meaning he's actually playing the game and not floating (JVR, again)

- shoots, even if he's missing the net a lot; I'd gladly take a Carter that plays LW, as it's exactly what this team needs for G and Voracek

- is a good skater

- is still developing

And, moving JVR for L Schenn may still prove to work out.  TBD.

We had that potential in JVR, and we gave it away for a mediocre, slow as molasses defenseman.

Interesting you should mention him. Aside from hits and shots taken, Kanes and JVRs totals are nearly identical with JVR edging out the +/- and Kane edging out points slightly over the same number of seasons and exact same number of games. 2 years separate the players. Just an interesting note. 

I guess for me, the number one question would be what is the back story with the issues in Winnipeg? I don't want a primadonna. 

Also, though it would not be immediate (just because looking way from the outside with the Winnipeg situation and it looks like there is some smoke there), I really wouldn't mind getting Ritchie. Problem is doubtful he would be an impact player immediately (but you never know because physically he is ready). 

Interesting you should mention him. Aside from hits and shots taken, Kanes and JVRs totals are nearly identical with JVR edging out the +/- and Kane edging out points slightly over the same number of seasons and exact same number of games. 2 years separate the players. Just an interesting note. 

Yeah, and I think that JVR would be a fixture on the top line with G and Jake. JVR might be more passive that many would like, but he has top line skills no doubt. 

Kane is a chance to fill that top line wing spot. 

It all depends on the price. 

Would you give up B Schenn? It's hard to say. If Brayden realizes his potential, he's probably our future top line center/winger. Kane was drafted the same year, but he's closer to realizing that potential than Schenn, so he's less of a gamble in that sense. 

Other than Brayden, who would Winnipeg want? I mean, they need to replace that top line wing somehow. Maybe we don't have the right pieces for them. I see that Washington and Montreal are after him too.

Maybe we don't have the right pieces for them. I see that Washington and Montreal are after him too.

If thats the case, fine. I turn my focus to Ritchie (see my post to FC on that I think we could get a deal done with Toronto if Ritchie fell to #8, unlikely, but possible). 

• Like 1

Exactly. It seems to me the plan is to shed salary to clear cap space for the future, get younger and cheaper, not trade bad contract other heavy contracts