Kessler to ducks

Jmdodgesrt4

At 5 Mil per year to get a complete power forward like Ryan Kesler,  I'd say Anaheim just got a HELL of a lot stronger. 

Getzlaf, Perry...now Kesler too on the front lines? Pretty formidable.

Crazy thing is, the Canucks were actually willing to trade Kesler WITHIN the division.

May speak more to how the Canucks' hands were tied as far as what kind of return they could have expected for him.

Luca Sbiza and the 1st round pick I think were the key returns, yet somehow, it feels underwhelming. Sbiza is only 24 and may turn out to be a very good, steady NHL defenseman yet, and who knows what the 1st round will yield for Vancouver.....and not to discount Nick Bonino...maybe he has found his game, but to this point, with the exception of last season, he has been pretty average in the league.

The mess in Vancouver continues methinks..........

But now teams in the West and the Pacific particularly, are going to have their hands full more than they ever have trying to decide whether covering Getz, Perry, or Kesler is the priority for their top D-men. 

That all said, the one area where I always felt Anaheim was a bit weak was their overall defensive coverage. Their own d-men definitely are going to have to step up their game.

As good as Anaheim was last season, teams could always count on some blown coverage to generate scoring chances against the Ducks...which leads me to their goaltending.

If those breakdowns are gonna happen...do the Ducks have the goalie to stand on his head on a consistent basis to keep the team from giving up more goals than they can score themselves? Plus, how will that work in the playoffs when NHL defenses are supposed to be ultra tight?

Plenty of time for Anaheim to address those areas....they certainly still have cap room.

But for the here and now, I will call this a preliminary win for the Ducks on the trade.

Lots of other teams right now grumbling over the fact that THEY could have gotten Kesler for, what looks  to be on the surface, not that high a price.....

We will see how this works for Anaheim...also, will be interesting to see what sorts of counter moves their division rivals may make.

And just think - if the Ducks could have pulled the trigger on this deal at the deadline last season, that 7-game series against the Kings might have turned out differently. (They were trying  hard to make a deal for Kesler happen last season, but could not get it done.)

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Won't Kesler center the 2nd line?

And I realize Kesler plays a better 2way game, but take out his ONE good year and doesn't keslers numbers look very Brayden Schenn-like. And most people aren't all that impressed with what Schenns done so far.

He may center the 2nd line.

I wasn't suggesting he was going to play on the same line as Getzlaf and Perry, but just that opposing defenses are now going to have to account for him, and use their top d-men accordingly, whenever he is on the ice, just as much as when Anaheim's original 1-2 punch are.

As for flat out numbers, sure, they may not be as impressive as some other players, but as you realized, the DOES play a more than solid two way game, the Anaheim Ducks play a much more aggressive offensive style than the Canucks, which I believe will help him, and now that he is 'across the ice' from the Canucks when the teams meet, I can see a guy like him being extra motivated to put up some nice production against not only the division and league, but specifically against his former teams....as ex-players of a franchise are often apt to do.

Even if Kesler never hits the 40 G plateau again (which likely he won't), if he can give the Ducks 20-25 to go along with about 60-70 points for the two years he is in Anaheim on top of the other stuff defensively he brings, I think the Ducks will be extremely happy with him.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Sbisa, Bonino and their first?

Yes Ducks get fleeced on this one Bonino signed for 3 more years at 1.9mill is a steal and Bonino had 6 more points than Kesler in the same amount of games.

Now the 6th and 24th picks to go with Horvat and Shinkaruk from last year Nucks are stacking some talent. Nucks first pick will be the best RW in the draft @ #6 and maybe even RW at #24 they are real thin at RW.

Yes Ducks get fleeced on this one Bonino signed for 3 more years at 1.9mill is a steal and Bonino had 6 more points than Kesler in the same amount of games.

Now the 6th and 24th picks to go with Horvat and Shinkaruk from last year Nucks are stacking some talent. Nucks first pick will be the best RW in the draft @ #6 and maybe even RW at #24 they are real thin at RW.

Funny, the Hockey News is saying that Vancouver got fleeced in this deal.

Funny, the Hockey News is saying that Vancouver got fleeced in this deal.

Probably because its WAY too early to tell.

Ducks are in WIN NOW mode...Kesler helps that.

Vancouver....rebuilding. The players they got back plus the pick helps that.

Safe to say both teams starting today got what they wanted.

Now, how it all works out will remain to be seen of course.

I honestly don't think Anaheim cares about what they gave up as long as Kesler puts them that much closer to a Cup....if not Cup owners.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Bonnion is 26, but went the US college route, and is a classic late bloomer. He put up 22 goals last year, and I expect that to increase. I would not be shocked if he outscored Kesler on his own. Sbisa is no star, but he is a solid hard hitting mobile d-man, you could do a *lot* worse. The first round pick assures they are overpaying. Bonns and Sbisa should have been enough....the 1st makes it rape. The odds of Kesler being hurt next year are *really* good...he's been hurt 3 years in a row, a 4th is almost assured.