Salary Cap Limit for the 2014-5 Season

hf101

“@DarrenDreger: Salary cap for 2014-2015. Cap is at $69. Lower Limit is $51 million.

@aaronward_nhl
Growth factor was at $68M,new TV money brought in a year early would raise it to $70M so both parties split the difference.

It's a buyer's market.

Good.

I never was a salary cap fan, but if we must have one, make it enough for teams to be able to keep most of their high end talent, while still making GM's make good decisions regarding contracts.

Personally, with the new CBA rules in place regarding player salaries, I think a cap of about 80 million would be perfect.

High enough where the richer teams can spend if they want to, but not so far that the lower end teams can't compete.

Oh, and I do like the salary floor.  This way we won't see owners pocket the bulk of the money they make and put out a crappy 20 million payroll product on the ice.

“@DarrenDreger: Salary cap for 2014-2015. Cap is at $69. Lower Limit is $51 million.

@aaronward_nhl

Growth factor was at $68M,new TV money brought in a year early would raise it to $70M so both parties split the difference.

It's a buyer's market.

It was projected at 71 million lol.

Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh GM's just started crying.

Cap geek is fast.  wow

Flyers stand at -$236,429  with a roster of 19 and the need to sign a backup goalie.  This value includes Pronger. 

WAAAAAHHHHHHHH.....we are over the cap....AND that is factoring in the Pronger cash?!?!   WTF....poor Hexy is gonna have his hands full here, cause they need to dump salary, but this leaves Hexy in a *terrible* bargaining position....with opposing GMs *knowing* that they have to dump some cash......nobody will do us any favours, that much is for sure.

This will be a wonderful way to guage how Hexy can think outside the box. Homer would have given up picks to have a team take salary off his hands, but I suspect Hexy will be shrewd and get some positives coming back our way.

One thing for sure, we need to take the S.S. (the Scintillating Six.....my brand new name for our ever evolving stable of young d-men) and hoard every last damn one of them. They should all be untouchables in any deal going forward.

1)Morin

2)Sanheim

3)Hagg

4)Ghost

5)Laurisden

6)Alt

Man, oh man....is that list for real??......is that *my* teams defensive prospect list.....WOW.....just FRIGGIN WOW!!!   How much fun is it going to be watching these kids make this team in waves. I figure Grossmannnnn gets traded and Oliver steps right in. Then every year after 2 should break in. The need to integrate the kids in slowly is essential on a few fronts. First the obvious, you can't have to much youth, the value of experience can't be overlooked. Secondly, if to many break in at the same time, they will all become RFA's at the same time, making it harder to avoid a RFA poaching. If  more than 2 young d-men end their ELC contracts at the same time, they would certainly be susceptible to losing one, you can hold off one signing by matching, but 2....you could be in trouble trying to match that.

1)Morin
2)Sanheim
3)Hagg
4)Ghost
5)Laurisden
6)Alt

Man, oh man....is that list for real??......is that *my* teams defensive prospect list.....WOW.....just FRIGGIN WOW!!!   How much fun is it going to be watching these kids make this team in waves. I figure Grossmannnnn gets traded and Oliver steps right in. Then every year after 2 should break in. The need to integrate the kids in slowly is essential on a few fronts. First the obvious, you can't have to much youth, the value of experience can't be overlooked. Secondly, if to many break in at the same time, they will all become RFA's at the same time, making it harder to avoid a RFA poaching. If  more than 2 young d-men end their ELC contracts at the same time, they would certainly be susceptible to losing one, you can hold off one signing by matching, but 2....you could be in trouble trying to match that.

Yep.  Laurisden and Alt need to get some regular time in the NHL this season.  I really doubt they will trade any of the Flyers 6 d-men without acquiring another with some experience.  Mainly because the management attitude will think that an injury or two will weaken the team. However these two really need to get some NHL experience and regular playing time.  

The Pens have $14 million to sign 6 guys with... I don't think we're crying about that. Lol.

Actually 7 guys (currently have 14 signed). You have 3 RFA's and the rest are open roster spots. If I was you, I would not get too giddy, because you have to either resign / replace both Orpik and Niskanen. Niskanen is your #1 power play unit qb (not sure you can count on Letang- especially with his injuries last year. Orpik is your #1 pk d man (not sure you can count on martin because of injuries). 

So, for all sense in purposes, whether you want to call the 1/2 dmen or 1a / 2a dmen (with Letang and Martin) at the end of the day you have to resign or fill those holes. Those two holes are not going to come cheap. I think you are looking in the neighborhood of 10+ million. That leaves you 4+million to sign your remaining 5 guys (three being rfa's). I guess the question is the 2 open spots (UFA spots) are you going to fill from the farm / draft, or resign or sign a different UFA. 

By august, you may start to shed a few tears. Not as many as Boston and Philly, but tears none-the-less. 

Edited by Vanflyer

Not so sure that Chicago is crying either. Looks like they have 21 players signed and are 770K under the cap. 

Dude, Kane and Toews just asked for 12 million dollar max length extensions. They may not be crying now, but they are looking at next year in a panic

The Pens have $14 million to sign 6 guys with... I don't think we're crying about that. Lol.

Only 7 forwards and 5 defenseman currently signed, when you need usually 13 forwards and 7 defensemen(even if one is a healthy scratch or sent to the minors) 2 of your entry level defensemen are under the knife and will not be ready by training camp.

14 million. Is not a lot unless you plan on calling up the farm for months.

Dude, Kane and Toews just asked for 12 million dollar max length extensions. They may not be crying now, but they are looking at next year in a panic

I totally get that. Next year is next year. A 1-2 millions diff in cap is negligible compared to what they are asking (essentially 35% of the teams cap). Regardless of what the cap, chicago will be crying. 

WAAAAAHHHHHHHH.....we are over the cap....AND that is factoring in the Pronger cash?!?!

That is including the Pronger cap hit.......which they get back to the tune of 4.9mill but not until the season starts. But they have about 8 RFAs need to resign and a backup to Mason....something else will be going down soon...it has to.

And i think Hexy hinted Heeter will not be resigned he didn't even mention him with Akeson and McGinn.

So the Phantoms goalies will more than likely be Stolarz and Chubak whom i think out played Heeter in his limited time at the end of the season.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Only 7 forwards and 5 defenseman currently signed, when you need usually 13 forwards and 7 defensemen(even if one is a healthy scratch or sent to the minors) 2 of your entry level defensemen are under the knife and will not be ready by training camp.

14 million. Is not a lot unless you plan on calling up the farm for months.

And @Vanflyer

Orpik was no longer the #1 P&K guy. I love Brooks but his days here are over unless he takes less than $2 mill to play. He's just not the same player anymore.

Niskanen ran the PP because of Letang's injury. Letang and Martin are plenty able to.

I think the goal IS to bring Bortuzzo and Depres in full time this season. There is a lot of talk about Pouliot as well but that remains to be seen.

Spaling is a $1.5 mill contract. I don't see many of the bottom six hitting the $2 mill mark if any aside from Sutter.

I really see no reason to worry. The numbers would be right if you're out there looking for star players, but we have those locked up. It's the interchangeable a we're looking at now. And Rutherford (as much as I don't trust him) seems interested in letting others have a say so Botterill (the numbers guy), Guerin and Fitzgerald are involved. I think we'll be just fine.

I think the goal IS to bring Bortuzzo and Depres in full time this season. There is a lot of talk about Pouliot as well but that remains to be seen.

I can see that happening. If Pouliot does not make it this year, he will push real hard to make it in 2015...he's simply to talented to sit in the AHL for to long. You might see a trade happen to accommodate him if a spot is not available.

I can see that happening. If Pouliot does not make it this year, he will push real hard to make it in 2015...he's simply to talented to sit in the AHL for to long. You might see a trade happen to accommodate him if a spot is not available.

That's good news thank you. I know Johnston was his coach in Portland and thinks very highly of him.

Edited by Polaris922

And @Vanflyer

Orpik was no longer the #1 P&K guy. I love Brooks but his days here are over unless he takes less than $2 mill to play. He's just not the same player anymore.

Niskanen ran the PP because of Letang's injury. Letang and Martin are plenty able to.

Spaling is a $1.5 mill contract. I don't see many of the bottom six hitting the $2 mill mark if any aside from Sutter.

I really see no reason to worry. The numbers would be right if you're out there looking for star players, but we have those locked up. It's the interchangeable a we're looking at now. And Rutherford (as much as I don't trust him) seems interested in letting others have a say so Botterill (the numbers guy), Guerin and Fitzgerald are involved. I think we'll be just fine.

I am more worried about Olli Maatta missing 4-6 months(Starting end of may). And Pouliot is in the same boat. Those are two entry level contract guys who would be there for the minimum. Despres I can see a full season of. but Bortuzzo? Without Niskanen to eat up minutes, you will need to ice those two more often on less sheltered icetime. Which could be disastrous given what i have seen of Bort. Despres I had a feeling was not liked by coaching for some reason, but I think he has great potential.

Hell, Letang broke his foot and hand vs the Rags and can't even work out till July. A month off physical training really hurts professional athletes. But I assume he will be game ready.

Pascal Dupuis's injury shelved him from Feb till(Assumed 6-8 months) . So realistically, yes he could make it by the start of the season, but he will obviously be behind on his workouts. Beau Bennett at least will be back in time and his wrist injury should not affect his cardio workouts.

But overall, 14 million is NOT a lot to work with. Let's assume for a minute that Sutter is going to want a small raise to 2.5-3 million being your teams PKing center. So 12 million left. Assume for a minute that some of these guys are not ready for Camp due to recovery. Orpik is gone anyways, and so is Niskanen. Are you going to play 3 kids on defense? or go out and get a defenseman? Letang is not exactly Iron man, so you would have to pray he does not go down all season since he will  likely be playing 25 minutes a game. You almost certainly need to go out and get a reliable 2nd pairing defenseman, whose going rate these days unfortunately is kicking around 3-4 million(Or higher). Its almost ridiculous that Niskanen and Stralman are likely to get 5.5+ million on the open market, but it is because the pool is thin.

If someone offer sheets Despres, what then? Not saying it is likely, but if a division rival who is not cash strapped and want youth movement decides to throw him a sheet of 2.5 million for a few years because it has the added bonus of Hampering you, while stealing a prospective 2nd pairing Dman(if he develops)?

No, 14 million is not a lot of wiggle room when dealing with 5 players coming back from injuries and still needing to sign that many just to have a team.

I totally get that. Next year is next year. A 1-2 millions diff in cap is negligible compared to what they are asking (essentially 35% of the teams cap). Regardless of what the cap, chicago will be crying. 

No doubt. I suspect they will wither their demands to Malkin type money. But either way, they are sitting RIGHT on the cap and have big problems approaching the next season.

I am more worried about Olli Maatta missing 4-6 months(Starting end of may). And Pouliot is in the same boat. Those are two entry level contract guys who would be there for the minimum. Despres I can see a full season of. but Bortuzzo? Without Niskanen to eat up minutes, you will need to ice those two more often on less sheltered icetime. Which could be disastrous given what i have seen of Bort. Despres I had a feeling was not liked by coaching for some reason, but I think he has great potential.

Hell, Letang broke his foot and hand vs the Rags and can't even work out till July. A month off physical training really hurts professional athletes. But I assume he will be game ready.

Pascal Dupuis's injury shelved him from Feb till(Assumed 6-8 months) . So realistically, yes he could make it by the start of the season, but he will obviously be behind on his workouts. Beau Bennett at least will be back in time and his wrist injury should not affect his cardio workouts.

But overall, 14 million is NOT a lot to work with. Let's assume for a minute that Sutter is going to want a small raise to 2.5-3 million being your teams PKing center. So 12 million left. Assume for a minute that some of these guys are not ready for Camp due to recovery. Orpik is gone anyways, and so is Niskanen. Are you going to play 3 kids on defense? or go out and get a defenseman? Letang is not exactly Iron man, so you would have to pray he does not go down all season since he will likely be playing 25 minutes a game. You almost certainly need to go out and get a reliable 2nd pairing defenseman, whose going rate these days unfortunately is kicking around 3-4 million(Or higher). Its almost ridiculous that Niskanen and Stralman are likely to get 5.5+ million on the open market, but it is because the pool is thin.

If someone offer sheets Despres, what then? Not saying it is likely, but if a division rival who is not cash strapped and want youth movement decides to throw him a sheet of 2.5 million for a few years because it has the added bonus of Hampering you, while stealing a prospective 2nd pairing Dman(if he develops)?

No, 14 million is not a lot of wiggle room when dealing with 5 players coming back from injuries and still needing to sign that many just to have a team.

Actually... Last season we played half a roster of AHL players and still held first most of the year. At one point we had Letang, Martin, Orpik and Scuderi ALL out and used Doumoulin, Pouliot, Depres, Bortuzzo, Maatta and Niskanen for our lineup and won regularly. Engelland is a throw in.

I'm really not worried about all this. I WANT Bortuzzo in there. He had a great playoff season. And I want Depres in there. Bylsma was unfair to the kid in my opinion. I sometimes wonder if the hunger the youth movement had in the regular season would've made the difference against the Rangers!

Honestly... All this cap fear is much ado about nothing as far as the Pens are concerned. I have complete trust in Botterill. The guy knows numbers. And if the Pens aren't panicking shedding payroll left and right, I'm thinking I'm right not to panic either.

Actually... Last season we played half a roster of AHL players and still held first most of the year. At one point we had Letang, Martin, Orpik and Scuderi ALL out and used Doumoulin, Pouliot, Depres, Bortuzzo, Maatta and Niskanen for our lineup and won regularly. Engelland is a throw in.

I'm really not worried about all this. I WANT Bortuzzo in there. He had a great playoff season. And I want Depres in there. Bylsma was unfair to the kid in my opinion. I sometimes wonder if the hunger the youth movement had in the regular season would've made the difference against the Rangers!

Honestly... All this cap fear is much ado about nothing as far as the Pens are concerned. I have complete trust in Botterill. The guy knows numbers. And if the Pens aren't panicking shedding payroll left and right, I'm thinking I'm right not to panic either.

Alrighty. You would know better than I as I only caught about 20 pens games lol.

I just know the situation would make me nervous. Then again, my situation makes me soooo angry. Lots of cap room on a team that is a 2nd pairing left side Dman away from a real deep playoff run because everyone takes hometown discounts, but a GM who declared he will not make any moves and wants to play the kids in the holes. And a GM that fills holes with worthless players like Burish, Brown and Kennedy and won't admit he made mistakes and dump Stuart and Niemi. Resigning Stalock was the only thing he did that I am happy with.

Alrighty. You would know better than I as I only caught about 20 pens games lol.

I just know the situation would make me nervous. Then again, my situation makes me soooo angry. Lots of cap room on a team that is a 2nd pairing left side Dman away from a real deep playoff run because everyone takes hometown discounts, but a GM who declared he will not make any moves and wants to play the kids in the holes. And a GM that fills holes with worthless players like Burish, Brown and Kennedy and won't admit he made mistakes and dump Stuart and Niemi. Resigning Stalock was the only thing he did that I am happy with.

We're ALL the best GM's aren't we? Lol

You would know better than me. I just use TOI numbers. Orpiks was your PK toi leader, with Skuderi a close second. Oppik was second on TOI overall with Maata closely behind. 

I know they are but BOTH had significant injury time last year. You still need a B unit. I know Maata spent some time there and perhaps can step up, but whose his partner going to be? 

At the end of the day, NIskanen and Orpik were your 3/4 guys on toi a game (letang / martin #1 pairing at 24 and niskanen / orpik #2 pairing at 21).  Is Maata ready do step up to the 3/4 role? If so, you are looking at just filling one of your 3/4 spots and then back filling your 5/6 spot. Thats still no chump change as D men are at a premium. You can have grossman if you want. I will drive him to pitts for you. 

I guess you will be alright. You would know better than i.