James Neal traded to Nashville

nossagog

@nossagog

@Polaris922

On the surface it seems lopsided but the Pens (err Crosby and Malkin) have a habit of turning these 20/50 guys into 35/70 guys. Kunitz, Neal and to a lesser extent, Dupuis. 

Only a year older than Neal (27 vs 26).  A little cheaper (saves $750,000).  A lot more likable.

I know nothing about Spaling.  Seems like a 3rd liner?

TFG said it in game chat earlier tonight....The Preds play the Wild next year.  Cooke vs Neal.  Any bets on who tries to take each others knee out first! :ph34r:

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

Holmquist has true offensive ability, he has put up good (though admittedly not great) numbers but there is a heck of a difference between taking your passes from Mike Underwood (I mean Fisher) and having them come from Crosby. He is a solid player, though not in Neal's class offensively.

Spaling is not a kid anymore, he can play, he has developed a reputation as a sound defensive forward with a little bit of offensive skills. Think Brandon Sutter. As a matter of fact with these two guys killing penalties Pittsburghs PK just went to the very top of the leagues. And Spaling can score a bit too.

No money involved, no way the Pens do this deal, but they didn't exactly get killed by the deal. Two very usable forwards coming back was not a horrible return.

My guess is the Pens organization were sick and tired of his cheapshots. Lemieux looked like a hypocrite complaining about this type of stuff while employing Cooke and Neal, two of the worst offenders in the league.

Cooke still hasn't got it...and I doubt Neal will either.

@flyercanuck

There was a lot if talk about the organization being unhappy with Neal when he threw an elbow (I think it was) in the playoffs after his previous suspension. I know Lemieux had talked to him during his suspension and he'd been playing clean till then, but that moment may very well have punched his ticket.

Just posted the same thing. I'll delete mine. Horrible trade in my eyes.

I'd agree with your assessment.  Your team hardly got an equitable compensation for one of the better and most consistent scorers in the last several years.  And I don't think Neal was showing any signs of slowing down.

Seems lapsided to me...

My guess is the Pens organization were sick and tired of his cheapshots. Lemieux looked like a hypocrite complaining about this type of stuff while employing Cooke and Neal, two of the worst offenders in the league.

Cooke still hasn't got it...and I doubt Neal will either.

If that is their reason, then my respect for the Pens just went up a notch.

Despite his obvious scoring touch, he doesn't not deserve to be in the NHL.

There's no doubt Neal needs someone to feed him the puck. Maybe that's why the Preds went after Spezza?

From what I read in several reports, it was after Spezza turned down the offer that Spalling and Hornquist were sent to Pittsburgh instead. Not saying Spezza still might not wind up in Nashville but it would not be the deal that was on the table, those pieces are now long gone.

From what I read in several reports, it was after Spezza turned down the offer that Spalling and Hornquist were sent to Pittsburgh instead. Not saying Spezza still might not wind up in Nashville but it would not be the deal that was on the table, those pieces are now long gone.

Yeah that didn't really come out till after I'd made that comment. Lol.