Travis Sanheim 180lb 6'3" D anyone know if this was a good pick.

@OccamsRazor  There are so many variables when these ranking come out. Sometimes, a kid will grow 2-4 inches from the time they are 17-18 or so. Sometimes a kids speed and dexterity pop off the charts in a matter of a few months due to the fact he is now used to being 6'3 or 6'4. Some kids struggle more than others when placed with a billit family for the first time,  they basically replace their family during the hockey season. Injuries, playing with more talented linemates....the list goes on and on....so not even a minor concern he was not ranked higher. Also have to remember, these kids are young teens, so females coming and going can be vary serious.....losing a girl you thought you'd be with forever type thing, that can throw a kid into a tailspin so quick....a love sick teen will not always be able to block that sutff out, kids are very impressionable, and quite often not able to put things in the proper perspective due to lack of experience in life.

All very good points at why i don't even look at those rankings.

I get mine ideas on who i like from what i seen on highlight from game night stuff on the OHLnetwork, QMJHL and WHL highlights then some youtube stuff and then read up on them combined with anything else i can get my hands on.

But this stuff you'll never see me quote the ISS other ranking stuff. Because just like the Mel Kiper and Todd McShay the get it wrong all the time.

Now none of it is fool proof and it's totally fine by to use that if people like but myself i don't use it. It's all a crap shoot. The #1 all the way to the last guys drafted can turn into a bust.

But like you said it's nice that Button had him at #8...time will tell.

@jammer2

Getting the puck to the forwards so they can score...something the BIG team can use...

Hope he just continues to grow.

Travis Sanheim: 
Gord Murphy coached me over at U-18's and I'm very excited to get coached by him and learn more.

Edited by OccamsRazor

So you believe everything you here....i got some beach front property in south dakota for you......real cheap!!!!!!!! ;)

does it have a view of mt rushmore if so what you asking for it :P

watching the vid..he has offense..need to see what kind of D this kid can play..he is a D man after all..but nice to see some punch from the blueline

does it have a view of mt rushmore if so what you asking for it

Just a ham samich on wheat...not white bread...

watching the vid..he has offense..need to see what kind of D this kid can play..he is a D man after all..but nice to see some punch from the blueline

Sounds disciplined too just 14 PIMs in 67 games.

His rankings:

Skating:5/5

Hockey IQ:5/5

Hands: 4/5

Shot:3/5

Compete level:5/5 

All nice to see. He still has 2-3 years to work on his game. Hexy said you can't have enough good skating Dmen i agree.

Morin-Coburn

Ghost-Hagg

Sanheim-Alt

Nice mobile defensive Corp with size. Me likey! :D

Forwards all goalies from the rest of the draft....no goons Hexy.

@OccamsRazor  Those videos were NICE. Some very subtle little mid-ice feeds that turned into clear breaks with a nice finish. Those were pure instinct primary assists. Threaded the passes through traffic very nicely also, so strong confidence in his passing game. A lot of d-men would have been way more conservative and circled back, afraid the puck would have gone the other way. From the limited vid I've seen on him, he looks like a very confident young man.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor  We have our own 2nd rounder, but are missing the 3rd rounder (payment for McDonald) and the 4th (payment for Streit). I would LOVE to see us get back into the 3rd by trading Grossmann. With the cap missing out on it's 71 mill projection by 2 mill, they will need to slash money somewhere, this would be a nice place to start......AND just as important free up a NHL spot for Alt and or Lauridsen. Would love to see a training camp battle between these two.

• Like 1

I was checking out a picture of him with Berube kid has some huge hands too.

um, cough cough, sounds like somebody has a man crush already! Did you get his shoe / skate size??  :ph34r:

Edited by Vanflyer

@Vanflyer  Not sure how many caught the draft on Canadian tv...on TSN...but they mentioned the player Travis Sanheim is compareable to is the Rangers Ryan McDonaugh. That is high praise to be compared to a outstanding player like Ryan. Real fans all know who McDonaugh is, but the casual fan is not really familiar with him, making him one of the most underrated players in the entire league IMHO. Ryan does all the little things right, wonderful little nuances that don't get a ton of press. If he's even close to the player Ryan is.....we hit pay dirt Van!!

Not sure how many caught the draft on Canadian tv...on TSN...but they mentioned the player Travis Sanheim is compareable to is the Rangers Ryan McDonaugh.

I was watching TSN  and yes I caught that and yes I agree with you that McDonaugh is very underrated- particularly those things you talk about that don't show up on the score sheet. Absolutely. Our stable of d is getting better. Still allot / if all projects / development, but at least there is allot of promise. 

I really liked what Hextall had to say after the draft when talking about Travis and the other young d guys that are in development. The jist of it was that the flyers already have a very young core of forwards that are going to be together for quite awhile. As these young dmen develop and are able to join the big club, hexall said he gets a "mental picture in his mind" and gets very excited about the team. 

What that means is that we are not there yet, but we also are not re-building, we are developing and taking the right way of doing things and adding quality young player after quality young player (hopefully) to the core that exists. 

The only thing is that that window can't be too long. There needs to be progress every year at all levels. 

Edited by Vanflyer

@Vanflyer  Not sure how many caught the draft on Canadian tv...on TSN...but they mentioned the player Travis Sanheim is compareable to is the Rangers Ryan McDonaugh. That is high praise to be compared to a outstanding player like Ryan. Real fans all know who McDonaugh is, but the casual fan is not really familiar with him, making him one of the most underrated players in the entire league IMHO. Ryan does all the little things right, wonderful little nuances that don't get a ton of press. If he's even close to the player Ryan is.....we hit pay dirt Van!!

Yup he sure did a number on G's line...one of the reason Hartnell got shipped out to. I think Hartnell struggled all year verse Mcdonagh and Garardi, he wasn't alone but just stuck out to be they negated his physical presence.

For those that did not see the draft on TSN coverage....they have a new scouting tools that gives numerical values for each skill, going from 0 to 5. Travis officially listed as 6'3 180lbs.

Skating gets a 5 out of 5 (WOWWWWWW, very nice for a kid who is 6'3 I'd say!!)

Ice IQ gets a 5 out of 5 (WOOOOHOOOO!)

Hands get 4 out of 5....nice.

Shot is the only real problem area it looks like....his lowest score 3-5....but hey, that can be worked on by putting in the time and blasting away for a few hours every day until strength and accuracy are just engrained in him.

Compete Level .....another dazzling 5 out of 5!!!   What a GREAT category to be perfect at!!  Half the battle when the kid comes in with fire in his eyes!!

ALSO.....says projected as a #1 or #2 two way defensemen.

Player comparable Ryan McDonagh....but then Craig Button throws in, "Travis is a Ryan McDonaugh clone"......WOW, exciting stuff!!!  ALSO....says his best asset is instinct....even better than his 5-5 skating and compete level.....this kid sounds like the *real* deal fellas.....feels like we got a real steal at #17, looking better by the moment!

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced....the fact that his kid rose up so quickly, he may have been incorrectly slotted by some opposing teams....leaving the Flyers the chance to swoop in at #17. One year ago, this kid went 177th overall in the WHL draft, so he came came on like an speeding Lamborghini on the Autobahn. Being ranked that low, it might have been half the year before any teams started to take note, maybe some teams even missed out on specifically watching him, which in turn probably really helped us keep him a mystery.

On the reverse side, I'm thinking the Flyers seen him 5 times or so before actually picking him. Hey guys....can a season ticket holder ask that specific question at the annual Town Hall Meeting for season ticket holders....just how many times did they get to see young Travis before selecting him....wonder if they would answer that honestly if they only saw him once....LOL!

@ jammer2 - I am pretty sure the coverage is the same.  In the US it was through NBC sports network and then coverage resumed on the Hockey network.  But it was covered with the same TSN based crew.  Either way..

I didn't realize Gord Murphy coached him in the U-18.  That had to provide a lot of value to the overall scouting report.

Jammer, FYI we have the Bruins 3rd from the Meszaros trade (it was conditional, if the Bruins re-signed him before the draft it would have been a 2nd, probably why it's not shown on a lot of draft lists) and I believe the 4th from Columbus was this year as well.

Edit: ok, no, the 4th is next year.

Edited by AJgoal

For those that did not see the draft on TSN coverage....they have a new scouting tools that gives numerical values for each skill, going from 0 to 5. Travis officially listed as 6'3 180lbs.

Skating gets a 5 out of 5 (WOWWWWWW, very nice for a kid who is 6'3 I'd say!!)

Ice IQ gets a 5 out of 5 (WOOOOHOOOO!)

Hands get 4 out of 5....nice.

Shot is the only real problem area it looks like....his lowest score 3-5....but hey, that can be worked on by putting in the time and blasting away for a few hours every day until strength and accuracy are just engrained in him.

Compete Level .....another dazzling 5 out of 5!!!   What a GREAT category to be perfect at!!  Half the battle when the kid comes in with fire in his eyes!!

ALSO.....says projected as a #1 or #2 two way defensemen.

Player comparable Ryan McDonagh....but then Craig Button throws in, "Travis is a Ryan McDonaugh clone"......WOW, exciting stuff!!!  ALSO....says his best asset is instinct....even better than his 5-5 skating and compete level.....this kid sounds like the *real* deal fellas.....feels like we got a real steal at #17, looking better by the moment!

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced....the fact that his kid rose up so quickly, he may have been incorrectly slotted by some opposing teams....leaving the Flyers the chance to swoop in at #17. One year ago, this kid went 177th overall in the WHL draft, so he came came on like an speeding Lamborghini on the Autobahn. Being ranked that low, it might have been half the year before any teams started to take note, maybe some teams even missed out on specifically watching him, which in turn probably really helped us keep him a mystery.

On the reverse side, I'm thinking the Flyers seen him 5 times or so before actually picking him. Hey guys....can a season ticket holder ask that specific question at the annual Town Hall Meeting for season ticket holders....just how many times did they get to see young Travis before selecting him....wonder if they would answer that honestly if they only saw him once....LOL!

@jammer2,

The kid was absolutely beaming when they had the camera on him! Hopefully, Flyers fans will be beaming after watching this kid play.

Im a little bit suprised of the posts here. "Is this a good pick?" "will he be good?" Tons of young talented players never reach the expected potential. And thats often becouse how the organisation handles them. Im more worried about our organisation/coach/staff than Travis. Whatever he becomes a good defensemen is up to our organisation. When the talent is there, and as long as the player does as good as he can (thats often the case) then its up to the coaches to trust them and let them grow. 

Im a little bit suprised of the posts here. "Is this a good pick?" "will he be good?" Tons of young talented players never reach the expected potential. And thats often becouse how the organisation handles them. Im more worried about our organisation/coach/staff than Travis. Whatever he becomes a good defensemen is up to our organisation. When the talent is there, and as long as the player does as good as he can (thats often the case) then its up to the coaches to trust them and let them grow. 

Don't worry, Hexy is steering the ship now  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

In watching the videos of Sanheim, his intelligence In knowing when to join a rush and his slick passing and skating really stand out. There were some plays where he sneaked in on a rush and scored, like he was the invisible man, nobody on the other team even noticed him. He may turn out to be our best dman of all.

Craig Button's final list with Sanheim at #8...I know this has been pointed out but nice to actually see.

One interesting thing to see about that is that Fleury is right above him. There numbers are similar and given that fact that Jammer pointed out that Sanheim was given more responsibility halfway into the season and that is when he flourished, there numbers are not that far off. Sanheim has a btter +/- and Fluery better offense. But there is nothing saying that Sanheim could not have put up similar number had he had his expanded role all season. 

Interesting too that both play in the WHL, which makes the comparable even more valid. 

One interesting thing to see about that is that Fleury is right above him. There numbers are similar and given that fact that Jammer pointed out that Sanheim was given more responsibility halfway into the season and that is when he flourished, there numbers are not that far off. Sanheim has a btter +/- and Fluery better offense. But there is nothing saying that Sanheim could not have put up similar number had he had his expanded role all season.

Interesting too that both play in the WHL, which makes the comparable even more valid.

Well if you go by just first years Sanheim did out perform him significantly, Fleury has played 140 games(parts of 3 seasons) Sanheim has only played 67 games(1 season) So in time this pick could be a steal.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Well if you go by just first years Sanheim did out perform him significantly, Fleury has played 140 games(parts of 3 seasons) Sanheim has only played 67 games(1 season) So in time this pick could be a steal.

I was thinking that too, but did not want to add in too many variables. 

He's obviously a late bloomer...it happens. He had a handful of points in the first half of the season...feeling his way through the Dub. Then he put up some pretty good numbers in the second half, great numbers for a first year player. He seems to have it all when you watch him play. His best attribute IMO is what goes on in his head...this ain't Coburn. He sure looked good on Team Canada last year. Let's hope the bloomin' continues.