Travis Sanheim 180lb 6'3" D anyone know if this was a good pick.

from Bill Meltzer's Blog this morning....

* I spoke yesterday with an NHL scout from a Western Conference team to get his take on the Flyers' draft picks. He said that he primarily liked the selections of Travis Sanheim in the first round and Mark Friedman in the third.

"Philly has been stockpiling defensemen in the system, and I think that's going to pay off for them at some point," he said. "Sanheim is someone who made a lot of us take notice once he get settled in with Calgary. All the tools are there and he's got some intangibles, too. Friedman isn't a big guy but he is very confident with the puck and pretty good without the puck, too. In terms of comparison players, I do think there's some similarities to [shayne] Gostisbehere but the NHL player I'd compare his style to is his Matt Carle. [Carle] added some size after he was drafted [by San Jose in the 2nd round of the 2003 Draft] and Friedman is a little smaller but the game is similar."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Monday-Quick-Hits/45/61015

Sounds like Hexy and company did their research.  For the time being it seems like a very good, solid pick. 

• Like 1

Scouts like to see progression. And they hate when prospects stop progressing (peak) or regress. It's the one thing you can count on all scouts to do. And you see this all the time: players who have peaked fall, and they keep falling, whereas players on the rise, keep rising. It's like a law of physics.

Red Line Report had him ranked 35th or something. But that's only part of the story. When I ordered their Draft Guide online they had to call me to get my credit card info. So Kyle Woodlief calls me himself - he's their head scout. I asked him to give me a name, someone who was going to blow everybody's socks off and he said "Sanheim."  He said every time he saw him play he got better than the previous time.

That's what scouts care about. 

Sanheim is clearly a late-bloomer - was apparently often cut from teams all the time (because he was too small!). Then he grows 6 inches, but retains his mobility (the hockey IQ he probably always had) and voila!

@AJgoal

Hey man, what's up? Yeah, I've been bad at staying in touch with the board. I'm going to try and be more regular. Just life interfering ya know. 

Hey Pods..good to see ya.  I know about the life thing.  trust me.  Still good yo see ya around........

• Like 1

Seems like a strategy pick on leu of anything amaZing.

The guy seems to be way better than anyone anticipated meaning he's improving himself

I guess the gamble is that he continues to do so.

He'll need to start eating and hit the weight room too.

I like that they're trying to actual get a good defense drafting all this D lately. We're in bizarro Flyers land

bit of info

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/flyers-draft-nhl/2014/6/27/5851224/travis-sanheim-flyers-nhl-draft-2014

@AJgoal

Hey man, what's up? Yeah, I've been bad at staying in touch with the board. I'm going to try and be more regular. Just life interfering ya know. 

Fiber supplements will help with that - not that it's really any of our business. ;)

Life has its way of altering our plans, though.

Wow, hard not to get super excited watching this kids video....he skates like a 5'11 forward. Simply amazing dexterity and mobility from a large 6'3 D-man. I have a feeling if this kid was scouted heavily from the very start, and the scouts got to see exactly how he grew and evolved, he could have been a top 10 pick. I think we got some GREAT value at #17. As badly as I wanted Exblad, I'm very happy to have our roster intact and have our fine young stable of excellent young d-men. This training camp is gonna be interesting....should be some real fun to watch how these kids play against men. Sanheim seems to anticipate very well. Assuming the Hitmen get a lot of their talent back, I could see Travis putting up a 70 or even 80 point year. The sky is literally the limit with this kid, he just oozes potential and skill....and it's not forced if that makes sense, he seems like a natural.

The only thing I would change is taking McKeown in the 2nd....he was just to talented to pass up at that point of the draft.

. I think we got some GREAT value at #17

And they fact that he out produced Haydn Fleury (in his first year comparisons) is impressive to considering he was the 2nd Dmen selected in the draft. It says something to that all 30 teams asked for an interview.

So he will only get better he said as his confidence grew over the season the more they let him play which is good to hear sounds like he is grounded.

And what better confidence boost could you have to have only played 67 total games in the WHL and already drafted in the 1st round. I think sky is the limit with him.

They are losing tow of their big minute Dmen so i'd imagine his role will increase next year.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor  It's way to early to even guess, but there *is* the outsdie chance the Flyers got their #1 franchise d-man they have been searching for the past few decades. Just the slim chance that is true is very exciting!!  Maybe, just maybe, Hexy found a way to do this without giving up a huge chunk of the core? I love the McDonough comparisons....again, very, very exciting. We are in for a real treat watching these kids grow and evolve into a top notch defense!!

• Like 1

from Bill Meltzer's Blog this morning....

* I spoke yesterday with an NHL scout from a Western Conference team to get his take on the Flyers' draft picks. He said that he primarily liked the selections of Travis Sanheim in the first round and Mark Friedman in the third.

"Philly has been stockpiling defensemen in the system, and I think that's going to pay off for them at some point," he said. "Sanheim is someone who made a lot of us take notice once he get settled in with Calgary. All the tools are there and he's got some intangibles, too. Friedman isn't a big guy but he is very confident with the puck and pretty good without the puck, too. In terms of comparison players, I do think there's some similarities to [shayne] Gostisbehere but the NHL player I'd compare his style to is his Matt Carle. [Carle] added some size after he was drafted [by San Jose in the 2nd round of the 2003 Draft] and Friedman is a little smaller but the game is similar."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Monday-Quick-Hits/45/61015

Sounds like Hexy and company did their research.  For the time being it seems like a very good, solid pick.

This is an interesting statement to me. Stockpiling? Since 2005 (10 yrs), the Flyers have picked a proportionate amount of D-men (24 out of 65 picks). I don't really see that as "Stockpiling".

How many of them have played in the NHL to date? Most of the picks don't even have AHL stats listed. Only 5 have played NHL games. The guy who has played the most NHL games with the Flyers is Oskars Bartulis with 66 games. Most notable name on the list has played most of his NHL games with Anaheim. Luca Sbisa at 266 games.

I sure hope Hexy did his homework.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@OccamsRazor  It's way to early to even guess, but there *is* the outsdie chance the Flyers got their #1 franchise d-man they have been searching for the past few decades. Just the slim chance that is true is very exciting!!  Maybe, just maybe, Hexy found a way to do this without giving up a huge chunk of the core? I love the McDonough comparisons....again, very, very exciting. We are in for a real treat watching these kids grow and evolve into a top notch defense!!

Not to high jack the thread but what about Lane Johnson being suspended...what a dumb ass.

But yes i agree Jammer i really think the sky is the limit for him to score the scores he got form the scouts is impressive like i say for only 1 year under his belt. This blueline in a little over 3 year has quickly become one of the best in the Eastern Conference from a prospect standpoint.....the tell tale sign will be how many make it.

It's way to early to even guess, but there *is* the outsdie chance the Flyers got their #1 franchise d-man

How about this for comparison's sake:

Sanheim first year: 67 gp 5 gls 24 ast 29 pts 14 pims +25

A.Ekblad first year: 63 gp 10 gls 19 ast 29 pts 34 pims -5

not too shabby in comparison for a young who went 1st overall...just saying.

I'm not saying he will be like him....time will tell how good he can become.

Edited by OccamsRazor

There is a big problem with that comparison, Exblad was 15 in his rookie season, Sanheim was 17.....a world of difference there.

This is an interesting statement to me. Stockpiling? Since 2005 (10 yrs), the Flyers have picked a proportionate amount of D-men (24 out of 65 picks). I don't really see that as "Stockpiling".

How many of them have played in the NHL to date? Most of the picks don't even have AHL stats listed. Only 5 have played NHL games. The guy who has played the most NHL games with the Flyers is Oskars Bartulis with 66 games. Most notable name on the list has played most of his NHL games with Anaheim. Luca Sbisa at 266 games.

I sure hope Hexy did his homework.

Evening AFF.....

Yeah that statement is kinda of strange.  I think what he is trying to convey is the number of hopeful quality picks that have selected and hopefully seem to be some legit d-men prospects.  Hopefully management has learn its lesson and will not be trading these picks away.  I think that is what he means...however..your point is well taken.  Recent history has shown otherwise that this team does quite the opposite.

There is a big problem with that comparison, Exblad was 15 in his rookie season, Sanheim was 17.....a world of difference there.

Yeah and no Ekblad at 15 was 6-3 so Sanheim was 5-11 and not playing in the WHL yet so like i said it's first year stats verse first year stats.

I can't compare more than that because well Sanheim wasn't playing then...so he was 15 and obviously he could handle it so the age doesn't apply for me.

I think it unfair to one minute applaud a guy being that young and playing in the league and 15 then turn around and use it as a crutch.

Like i said i'm not saying he will be Ekblad it is first year stats in juniors.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Very interesting stat...nice find.  If he has a solid work ethic and progresses at a reasonable rate...then the sky is the limit.  Gonna have to watch him closely next year while he is in juniors.  This is when I wish I more access to Junior Hockey games.  Hopefully Hexy can keep building on this.

Very interesting stat...nice find.  If he has a solid work ethic and progresses at a reasonable rate...then the sky is the limit.  Gonna have to watch him closely next year while he is in juniors.  This is when I wish I more access to Junior Hockey games.  Hopefully Hexy can keep building on this.

I'd like the Flyers to sign Sanheim's tea mate who went undrafted for the Phantoms maybe Guillaume Gélinas.

Couldn't hurt Phantoms need all the bodies they can get they only have 17 kids signed for next year hope Hexy is looking into it.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92286

If anything else he could start out for Reading.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@AlaskaFlyerFan  I consider the "stockpiling" having started Alt trade and the drafting of Lauridsen....and the follow up drafting of Morin and Hagg....all the other stuff is wishy washy crap.

@jammer2,

I think they have picked up some better players...perhaps...possibly...maybe. But IMHO it is far from stockpiling. I'm extremely skeptical that any of those guys will play significant NHL games except for maybe Morin. You guys that get to see the prospects play in junior have a better perspective than I do.

@alaskaflyersfan

11 of 19 picks over the last three drafts have been dmen, that is stock piling. By the odds, 2 or 3 of them will turn out to be nhl players. 4 years ago and further back, the Flyers were grabbing dmen at a "normal" pace. These last few years they've really focused on it. We'll see if any work out, but the more dice you roll, the more likely one comes up a 6.

@alaskaflyersfan

11 of 19 picks over the last three drafts have been dmen, that is stock piling. By the odds, 2 or 3 of them will turn out to be nhl players. 4 years ago and further back, the Flyers were grabbing dmen at a "normal" pace. These last few years they've really focused on it. We'll see if any work out, but the more dice you roll, the more likely one comes up a 6.

@aziz,

Maybe I should have taken a smaller sample size? LOL You're right, but don't forget that Homer picked the 2 previous years.