Flyers 2014 draft picks

brelic

The game was over. that's why Swedens coach was mad - he didn't want his players suspended.

Ok was wondering what was going on there. Jesper was cracking me up almost having to jump to swing on that Russian kid who was some much bigger than him but i'll give him this he wasn't scared at all feisty lil guy height wise.

He is built really similar to Kimmo because he weight i think 190+ dudes legs must be huge to carrry that kind of weight on that frame.

@OccamsRazor

Ya, don't know much about him as a prospect, but I do remember that incident in the game. And not only didn't he back down, he looked like he couldn't wait to get into it.

Yeah not familiar with him either he will be 20 soon so he is a little older than the other draft picks so he'll be given more time to develop either way but at 5-9 he is in a uphill battle to ever get to the NHL level but Kimmo to is a perfect example it can be done even though that is rare.

Who know because of his age maybe the Flyers have plans for him to come over sooner than later.

I'd say for ELC reason he is at least given 2 more years of in europe than brought over. Those guys can be brought over to play in the AHL before turning 20 like the junior players but it will start the clock on his ELC so it sounds smarter two give him two years in Europe.

And not only didn't he back down, he looked like he couldn't wait to get int

Bill mentioned him this morning...my favorite comment...

I will tell you what: If Robert Hägg had Pettersson's innate compete level and focus, he would be the best defensive prospect in the Flyers' system instead of the third-best or fourth-best. Hägg has all the physical gifts but needs to get more focused and decisive about what he wants his game to be.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Eye-on-July-Draft-Wrapup/45/60993

* In light of THN's League-wide findings, the Flyers' seventh round selection of Linköping defenseman Jesper Pettersson yesterday makes a heap of sense. Yes, he only stands 5-foot-9 and will soon turn 20 years old but he is sturdy and strong. Just as importantly, he plays with lots of heart and determination. I've seen him play online (via SHL streams and World Junior Championship games) roughly a half-dozen times, and one can't help but admire how much grit and determination he brings, along with some pretty good defensive hockey sense.

I will tell you what: If Robert Hägg had Pettersson's innate compete level and focus, he would be the best defensive prospect in the Flyers' system instead of the third-best or fourth-best. Hägg has all the physical gifts but needs to get more focused and decisive about what he wants his game to be. One of Hägg's former Modo assistant coaches pegged Hägg's current NHL projection -- not his maximum upside but his path to date -- as that of a fifth defenseman because of some frustrations over his compete level and decision making. 

The 60-minute focus and decisiveness questions are probably Hägg's biggest obstacles, because there is no doubting that Hägg has everything else -- size, speed, and natural skill -- to become a good two-way NHL defenseman with a lengthy career. It's not that he's lazy or has a bad attitude; those would be inaccurate and unfair descriptors. But he needs to challenge himself to find the next level to his game. 

Pettersson wasn't blessed with the same natural physical tools as players like Hägg but he squeezes the maximum out of what he has. Pettersson works so hard that he actually has pushed his ceiling higher than it ought to be, and continues to improve each year.

When it comes to the final round of the NHL Draft, why not take a flier (no pun intended) on a young player like Pettersson? I would actually rate his chances at a North American hockey future higher than many bigger and more offensively skilled players who went in the latter rounds. Pettersson wants it more and if he falls short of the mark, he will at least have given his all to make it.

Who knows...............

I know very little about the Kid from South Philly?    why did they go past him to pick the player they did?

I think hextall really wanted to be a d-man. Also, the Flyers had him ranked much higher (as high a 7th) on their draft board. 

I was happy with our second round pick of Nickolas.....but was hard to not look down a few spots and notice McKowen went just 2 picks after him. Perhaps a bit of overkill with the Sanheim pick on the books already, but taking Roland would have been nice, think he's gonna have a nice career.

I know very little about the Kid from South Philly?    why did they go past him to pick the player they did?

There was a better player on the board. Plus D'angelo has a little problem with his mouth that cost him several games in suspensions this year.

I was happy with our second round pick of Nickolas.....but was hard to not look down a few spots and notice McKowen went just 2 picks after him. Perhaps a bit of overkill with the Sanheim pick on the books already, but taking Roland would have been nice, think he's gonna have a nice career.

Yes to have taken McKeown too would have just made the Flyers blueline depth in a little over 3 years the best in the NHL without doubt bar none huh, could you imagine.....

Morin/Sanheim

Ghost/Hagg

McKeown/Alt

WOW that would be outstanding i say!!!!!!!! Very very mobile blueline there.

There was a better player on the board. Plus D'angelo has a little problem with his mouth that cost him several games in suspensions this year.

Plus he is just 5-10 170 i'll take the 6-2 190 lber who can skate as well anyday...

Yes to have taken McKeown too would have just made the Flyers blueline depth in a little over 3 years the best in the NHL without doubt bar none huh, could you imagine.....

Morin/Sanheim

Ghost/Hagg

McKeown/Alt

WOW that would be outstanding i say!!!!!!!! Very very mobile blueline there.

I don't know much about Abel-Kubel, so just a guess, but it seems to me McKowen is much more likely to have an NHL career, even an impactful one...hopefully this kid from Quebec makes me eat my words! Even if we are to loaded for McKowen to make the team, D-men are much more valuable in a trade situation.

Just really liked Roland's mobility and compete level.

• Like 1

@jammer2

I won't knock A-K but McKeown? I just don't see why he fell so far.

What kinda sucks is selecting McKeown would have been a situation like last year like Hagg...it would have been like having a 2nd first round pick. I sure hope this little winger can bring it. I've kinda forced myself to just ignore smaller wingers until they actually arrive/play. I remember 3 or 4 years back I was all excited about this small winger from Quebec named Kempe (although he was drafted much later, so less of a chance to really impact the roster). He was a bust, don't think he even played for the Phantoms. Everyone is obviously an individual, but that taught me a lesson to just temper the expectations a bit.

He was a bust, don't think he even played for the Phantoms

Yeah his younger brother just got drafted by someone the other day but he is suppose to be a better forward prospect than Mario we'll see.

Adrian Kempe went #29th to the Kings.....Meltzer said it may be the rich getting richer time will tell

.http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86313

Edited by OccamsRazor

@jammer2

Ya, it would have been a bit of deja-vu. A bit of a reach on a couple of up and comers and grabbing 2 falling stars in the 2nd.

Mario was a Dman I believe. Adrian was a Colts draft pick, but just signed for 2 years in Sweden.

Now he is a LW/RW. Signed with a KHL team.

But only 25 now.

But if you note the link he wasn't too productive in the SHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4407