Flyers 2014 draft picks

brelic

According to Metzler's blog today

ROUND 2: 48th OVERALL PICK

The Flyers selected Val-d'Or (QMJHL) forward Nicolas Aube-Kubel with the 48th overall pick of the draft. An undersized but skilled forward who can play both wing and center, Aube had a good second season of major junior hockey.

The word on him is that he is better with the puck than without it at this stage of his career, and needs to add some muscle. Aube-Kubel (5-foot-11, 179 pounds) notched 22 goals and 53 points in 65 games this season. 

The Hockey News had Aube-Kube ranked 60th overall. The general consensus on him was that he would fall in the second or third round.

Here's what Meltzer says about Friedman:

ROUND 3: 86TH OVERALL PICK -- Mark Friedman 

With the conditional Draft pick acquired from Boston in the Andrej Meszaros trade, the Flyers selected Waterloo (USHL) defenseman Mark Friedman.

A small (5-foot-10, 182 pound) offensive-minded blueliner with a righthanded shot, Friedman was one of the top offensive defenseman in the league this year, notching 10 goals and 40 points in 51 regular season games and posting seven points in the playoffs. 

Friedman is slated to play collegiate hockey next season for Bowling Green University. He will play under head coach Chris Bergeron and assistants Barry Schutte and Ty Eigner. The Flyers will have a four-year window to hold Friedman's rights and evaluate his progress; an advantage over the 2-year window for signing CHL players.

"He's in a good spot," said Flyers scouting director Chris Pryor.

Side note: The New York Islanders select Russian goalie Ilya Sorokin with 3rd rd pick acquired from the Flyers in the Andrew MacDonald deal.

And here's the write up from Hockey's Future:

Talent Analysis

With great wheels and a motor that doesn't quit, Aube-Kubel's hard-working and high-energy style of play makes him a versatile addition to any lineup. Whether it is driving the net to create scoring chances or back-checking to prevent them, Aube-Kubel fits the blueprint of a player who can slot into many roles and situations at the next level. With his offensive talents still blossoming, it is hard to say what sort of player he will finally develop into, but he is sure to be the type of player that coaches love.

5th round pick, Oskar Lindblom

From Eliteprospects

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86181

Lindblom is a powerful skater with a strong, two-way game. He isn't shy to do the dirty work and is a pain to move out from in front of the net. He gets himself open to create offensive chances but isn't overly flashy. (August 2013)

---

And from Meltzer:

Round 5: 138th overall -- Oskar Lindblom

A big, strong winger in the Brynäs system, Lindblom finished the season with a flourish to occupy the 23rd spot on Central Scouting's final European skater list. At the Swedish J20 level, he was dominant in the SuperElit playoffs, racking up six goals in seven games. To cap off the season, he posted six points (three goals, three assists) for Sweden at the U18 Worlds.

Lindblom spent most of the 2013-14 season with the Brynäs J20 team but appeared at three different levels over the course of the season. He played six J18 games but was clearly too good for that level. Later, he made his SHL debut with the senior team, dressing in four games but playing very sparingly.

There are no frills to Lindblom's game and he is willing to battle for the puck. His size and style are well-suited to the North American game. He is said to still be raw in many aspects but is improving at a rapid pace.

---

And from Hockey's Future

Talent Analysis

Lindblom goes hard to the net and likes to stick around once there. He’s someone who offers up his body in the corners and in the slot. Decent hands in tight and does have an eye for finding his linemates. Can play a corner rotation game. A player who is ready to go where it hurts and take punishment to make things happen. Lindblom is defensively aware and plays the game in all three zones. Sometimes shows some above-average cleverness and tends to enjoy the trust of his coaches.

Lindblom is not particularly fast nor a skater whose agility and movement sticks out at you. Seems to make no impact from more than 5-10 feet within the goal. Not a player who makes things happen much, but more a benefactor who can complement better skill players. Tends not to make an impact in games where his team needs players to step up. Lindblom has decent size, but doesn’t necessarily have a frame conducive to the addition of a lot of weight.

He's headed to college (Bowling Green) so they have 3-4 years to let him develop. So let him percolate!!!!!!!!

at this juncture- beyond the first or 2nd pick, I think all the players need some peculating. The one I thought did / does not is Ritchie- just because of his size- but his skills are still raw to the pro game. No magic bullets for any team this year. I am enormously impressed with what Vancouver did in 36 hours. It has nothing to do with my moniker, but they were near the abyss and just pulled themselves out. 

We- the flyers need one more stay at home d-man or a big winger in any case. 

Edited by Vanflyer

I am enormously impressed with what Vancouver did in 36 hours. It has nothing to do with my moniker, but they were near the abyss and just pulled themselves out. 

Even if it did there is nothing wrong with being proud of your team, like you said it's not your team but everyone doesn't have to all doom and gloom around here i think it is a nice twist to have people arond here who can find the bright side of things sometimes. But i totally agree they have rebuilt quickly and impressively.

everyone doesn't have to all doom and gloom around here i think it is a nice twist to have people arond here who can find the bright side of things sometimes.

You're fired, turn in your Philly fan card to security on your way out :)

Even if it did there is nothing wrong with being proud of your team,

OR- I used to be Colflyer, NWFlyer, etc. I lived in both regions many years but grew up in Bucks County. I will always state I am a hockey fan first and foremost, at the NHL level- Flyers are my favorite, after that, I just love to watch good hockey. 

That said, I lived in Vancouver for awhile- both proper and over on the island. I feel blessed for that experience. Its an eclectic place to live and easy to figure out how things ebb and flow.

You're fired, turn in your Philly fan card to security on your way out :)

What???? C'mon give me a second chance i can do better!!!!!!!!!!! I'll work on it it i swear......i'll study phlfly more and come up with something....it's G's fault the Flyers couldn't trade Vinny.....thats a good start...................right?????

What???? C'mon give me a second chance i can do better!!!!!!!!!!! I'll work on it it i swear......i'll study phlfly more and come up with something....it's G's fault the Flyers couldn't trade Vinny.....thats a good start...................right?????

All right. but you've been warned!

All right. but you've been warned!

True but the following forwards are 26 or younger at the start of next season:

Giroux

Voracek

Simmonds

Schenn

Couturier

Raffl

Akeson

Laughton

Rinaldo

Nice young crop with some vet infusion.

From a scout: “He reminds me a little of Jason Pominville, only a little stronger at the same age. He’s very involved and shoots the puck really well. He plays in all situations.” - NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Bordeleau.

Sounds good time will tell on these kids. 

Well it looks like even though he is on the smallish side Jesper isn't afraid to mix it up kind of feisty he is #6...

And the late high hit by Boone Jenner here...

He is an older player so he may come over sooner than later or stay longer to develop over there Flyers have time to decide what they do with him...but due to his size it will be an uphill battle for him to get to the NHL.

5th round pick, Oskar Lindblom

From Eliteprospects

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=86181

Lindblom is a powerful skater with a strong, two-way game. He isn't shy to do the dirty work and is a pain to move out from in front of the net. He gets himself open to create offensive chances but isn't overly flashy. (August 2013)

Nice note too in  2012-13 World U-17 Challenge where he posted 13 points including 8 goals in 6 games.

He will get prolonged time too because he is a euro and i think he is already signed for next year. So they are just kids and i think he is the youngest draft prospect the Flyers took and already has good size at 6-2 190+ he will fill out and more than likely grow a couple inches he is only 17.

I have read a lot of good reviews about him.........still can't believe no Finns in the system Kimmo will be the last.

Edited by OccamsRazor

HAHAHA i just noticed that Jesper left the penalty box to jump into the scrum i know not the smartest move but you have to love his commitment!!!!!!!!

Good ol stumpy....maybe Kimmo rubs off on him.

Interesting that G was not selected. Are they happy with their prospects? Do they see G as a position to trade for?

Were they unimpressed with what was out there? They are stocking the D big time. It seems a bit strange that not one prospect was chosen. But they know more than Merlot Man!

Peace,

Howie

Interesting that G was not selected. Are they happy with their prospects? Do they see G as a position to trade for?

Were they unimpressed with what was out there? They are stocking the D big time. It seems a bit strange that not one prospect was chosen. But they know more than Merlot Man!

Peace,

Howie

An issue with prospect goalies is they take forever to get to the point of knowing if they are gonna turn out, and get in each other's way. Two farm teams, four spots total, only two real starting spots for the early twenties development almost all goalies need. And one of those is kinda crap.

HAHAHA i just noticed that Jesper left the penalty box to jump into the scrum i know not the smartest move but you have to love his commitment!!!!!!!!

The game was over. that's why Swedens coach was mad - he didn't want his players suspended.