Spezza Nixes Trade to Nashville

Apparently Spezza chose not to wave his NTC to be traded to the Predators which could be interesting as Ottawa now is forced to keep him or trade him for lower value.  Not a favorable situation in Ottawa.

Does this mean then that Nashville will consider trading for Vinny?

Apparently Spezza chose not to wave his NTC to be traded to the Predators which could be interesting as Ottawa now is forced to keep him or trade him for lower value.  Not a favorable situation in Ottawa.

Does this mean then that Nashville will consider trading for Vinny?

Not sure but it seems there is already some kind of handshake agreement for Vinny to Florida for Upshall....at first i was sceptical of how true this was but it has been reported on several sites....so it may be true, but it is a handshake.....maybe Nashville could get involved to help with some leverage and Hexy takes the best deal.

Wishful thinking, but it wasn't like Spezza was some young buck so who knows with them being over the cap already i hope Hexy is better at resolving that dilemma than Homer was.

I have faith in Hexy till he gives me a reason otherwise. 

I wonder what Spezza's reasoning was for not wanting to go to Nashville.

I get that many players, particularly highly offensive types like Spezza, often balk at going to defensive minded teams like Nashville, however, the Preds now have Peter Laviolette running things from behind the bench, and with the moves the Preds have made recently, it seems they are certainly moving towards being more offense oriented, while still maintaining their very sold defensive foundation on the blue line and a great goalie in Pekka Rinne.

Unless there is some family related or other personal issue, I would think Spezza would like a fresh start somewhere where he would looked at to help lead the way in a new offensive direction for a team like Nashville.

Why get in the way of Ottawa clearing his contract and roster spot out, aggravate the situation, then perhaps end up somewhere else where the situation for him to succeed may not be as high?

On that note, if VLC is offered the chance to end up in Nashville, I'd say he should happily allow things to play out that way and he can join an already solid defensive group there that won't be asking much from him except maintain some defensive responsibility and provide some scoring to support the team's other, more offensive types.

I can't help but wonder what the trade on the table was...

Apparently Fisher tried to convince Spezza to sign his NTC.  What is kinda strange is apparently Nashville was on that list of places Spezza was willing to go to.  I guess we can be certain there will be more to come with this saga.  

Welcome to the Forums!

Now THAT would be great return with your hands tied!

It wouldn't be bad for both teams. Spezza has the highest cap hit at 7mill but for only one year and Yandle is signed for 2 more at 5.2mill....Blues may come back with an offer now if they really wanted him like rumored....or pass Ottawa may just say eff it and pull the trigger.

http://www.hockey-trades.com/2014/06/nhl-trade-rumors-keith-yandle-to-ottawa.html

Hockey Trades @NHLTradeRumors The Ottawa Senators are negotiating a deal with the Coyotes - Jason Spezza for Keith Yandle

That is nuts. Keith Yandle is a top pairing left side defenseman who just led his team in scoring. I'd freaking give up Pavelski to get him on the Sharks. And Pavelski is way better than Spezza.

There is NO chance it is just Spezza for 1 year. It would have to be Spezza + likely their top prospect and or 2015 1st round pick.

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 1

That is nuts. Keith Yandle is a top pairing left side defenseman who just led his team in scoring. I'd freaking give up Pavelski to get him on the Sharks. And Pavelski is way better than Spezza.

There is NO chance it is just Spezza for 1 year. It would have to be Spezza + likely their top prospect and or 2015 1st round pick.

Yeah but 53 points AND -23 is ugly on a decent defensive minded team. So Ottawa is putting out there to see if the Blues blink...if not not then who knows...

Flyers really need a prospect or just picks so they can get the cap space.

I was really kind of joking, but it would not be as hard as you think. If the rumors of Dallas taking vinny for picks are true, then there is 4.5. Figure out a home for Grossman. There is 3.5. Thats 8. Keith's cap his it 5.25m. He is under contract until end of next year. I don't think it would take a kings ransom to get him because of that. (prospect / picks). 

You better up the ante if you're thinking Yandle. VLC isn't fetching you him that's for sure!

While I would agree, you could say you aren't getting McDonough for Gomez and his terrible contract....yet they did.

While I would agree, you could say you aren't getting McDonough for Gomez and his terrible contract....yet they did.

There will ALWAYS be stupid deals. (A few less with Holmgren out of the chair;). But I try to weigh trade proposals from a reasonable point if view.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 2

@Polaris922

While I agree, since gretzky was traded you can never say never about anyone.

Definitely, but VLC? that will not happen. VLC is no longer a even a 2nd line center on most teams. Teams heard Yandle was available and are offering much better. For a 27/28 year old two way defenseman in his prime, able to lead a team in scoring, and on the left side, which is what most teams are looking for, on a 2 year contract for just over 5 million, you will be paying the moon. Guys way worse than him are going to be getting 6+ million on the open market because everyone is looking for a 1st or 2nd pairing Dman and Yandle is a legitimate #1 Dman. You can blast his +/- all you want. That is just what happens on bad teams when you force a guy to play with a bunch of subpar forward and you need to be the guy scoring. Think players you normally consider untouchable to start, not pieces you want to dump.

This is not a cap Dump for the Yotes that you can trade guys you don't want for, it is a legitimate "We could get super high value back for this guy" time. With Ekman-Larsson and several great prospects in the system defensively, and contending a few years away, it makes him a sell high guy for younger great forward prospects or 1st round picks and at least 1 top line forward.

You would be parting with at least 2 guys you do not want to for Yandle. Guys like Simmonds, Voracek, Read, and probably one of your better defensemen(no, not Grossman).

The Wings would be offering a guy like Nyquist. The Sharks would be offering a guy like Pavelski. etc. If Spezza was going for Yandle, it would be Spezza + their 1st rounder and likely a young forward prospect to boot.

I know you all want to dump Lecavalier and Grossman, but you will probably be paying someone to take them off your hands by taking back players you do not want and sending picks with him.

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

• 4 weeks later...

@J0e Th0rnton  A very realistic assessment of what it would take to get Yandle. This is no toss out your garbage and get him back kinda thing....it would take a legit star, or a wicked combo of picks and prospects. One of the huge factors in the Yotes corner is the fact he's signed for 2 more years at 5 mill....a virtual bargain today that will look like tremendous value once next season starts. I would not want to part with what they would be asking for, it would rip the core of this team apart, and as good as Yandle is, he's not worth tearing apart a solid core to acquire.