Shanahan

Phlyer1

I didn't notice Shanahan. What I did notice was the disgusting and ridiculous behavior of the Flyers fans. It was utterly embarrassing

Philly fans do not forget and go too far in their in their bronx cheer. I don't like the Commissioner but  I was embarrassed by the continuous boos.

Philly fans do not forget and go too far in their in their bronx cheer. I don't like the Commissioner but I was embarrassed by the continuous boos.

Agreed. I'm okay with the booing of the commish. I think that's fairly standard.

It was booing Talon and others that really fit obnoxious and embarrassing.

Philly fans do not forget and go too far in their in their bronx cheer. I don't like the Commissioner but I was embarrassed by the continuous boos.

I dunno, I thought it was pretty impressive.

• Like 1

I didn't notice Shanahan. What I did notice was the disgusting and ridiculous behavior of the Flyers fans. It was utterly embarrassing

I could not agree more. I was embarrassed to be a Flyers fan yesterday. I expect that from Eagles fans, but not from Flyers fans. I felt like I was watching a high school assembly in the gymnasium. 

I could not agree more. I was embarrassed to be a Flyers fan yesterday. I expect that from Eagles fans, but not from Flyers fans. I felt like I was watching a high school assembly in the gymnasium.

What an apt comparison!

@Phillygrump

As mentioned, booing Bettman is fair game. It's booing EVERYONE not affiliated with the Flyers that gets to be a bit much.

This.  I'm repeating myself here but there is nothing wrong with booing Bettman.  It's done in every single arena (sometimes even when he's introducing the CUP!) and is almost required.  I think Bettman himself completely gets that.  

It's booing Talon simply for taking the first pick (presumably that was the reason).  It's booing Edmonton's people.  Buffalo's people.  etc.  It was just utterly ridiculous and, frankly, asinine.

• Like 1

It was pretty cool to see the warm reception for Brindy.

That one thing does not even closely redeem the other antics / shenanigans / disrespect to other teams / people. It was a flat out disgrace. 

• Like 1

The booing is almost a tongue-in-cheek joke, there's this attitude that Well this is what we're told we are so you wanna see obnoxious and classless, here you go and we'll top it next time. That's what the 30-something generation has known all their lives, having the spotlight on Philly when Philly misbehaves but less scrutiny when similar things happen elsewhere. BS lazy journalism about Santa Claus in 19 freaking 68. You don’t like us, and we don’t like you, here’s another “black mark” for everybody to write about. That’s a sociology discussion by itself.

I don't know what it was like in Newark at last year’s draft last because I wasn't in the building, but I'm sure they were all perfect angels and clapped like seals when the Flyers and Rangers were announced. And I said in another thread, there were plenty of fringe fans there that are neither hockey historians nor brain surgeons, not your average Flyer fan to be sure. I cringed at the "sucks" after every team name was called, but then again I really don't give a shite what the rest of the NHL or the holier than thou media think of it either. Wish Tock got a better reception, but I'm not losing sleep that he didn't. Was it all a little much?  Probably, but then again it’s not like the PICKS got booed, all the kids got at least polite claps at the appropriate time. Ekblad got a great reception. But nobody wrote about that did they?

I raise my kids to show respect and sportsmanship, I will even point things out at home games and use as an example of what NOT to do. But Philly is what Philly is and in the end I've cast my lot in with the red-headed bastard stepchildren of sports. So no I wasn’t embarrassed, or ashamed to be a Flyer fan.

• Like 1

I give up. It wasn't all bad, but it's your call what you want to focus on. Fans everywhere do that nowadays, right, wrong, or otherwise. There were a few nice moments, but no one seems to really care.

All I'm saying is the reaction in the chat room was unanimous in thinking it came across poorly.

Now, unanimous in a CHAT room doesn't make it gospel. But when a room full of predominantly Flyer fans respond adversely to it, you can only imagine what the perception was elsewhere.

Again, Bettman, fine (it's part of the job description) but there's no reason to be booing Talon and some of the other GMs. It's not cardinal sin, but it's just in really poor taste.

And so we were warm and fuzzy with a former Flyer. You really want a medal for that? I think the focus is a bit off, but not from the people who think the crowd acted like imbeciles.

It is what it is. I think ashamed and disgraced is a bit of an over-the-top way to look at it but to each their own. I wouldn't boo everyone. It's a big day for those kids. But people do and it's not a big deal.

I guess it's that the booing makes it seem like it's about the fans, and it's really not about them at all. It's about the 17 and 18 year old kids realizing their dreams and the organizations that (can) make that happen.

• Like 1

I think it's also, at least partially, a question of medium. TV has the benefit of turning up or down ambient noise. For example, you couldn't hear Bettman at all in the WFC, but I can clearly hear him on video of the event. The only booing I really remember hearing in person was Bettman and when any GM congratulated LA (Which rubbed me wrong). I also left before Pittsburgh picked, so I missed the booing of Tocchet. Other than that, there may have been a smattering, but I'm wondering if mic locations or other technical items made it sound worse than it was in person. Even the perspectives I've read from fans of other teams who attended mention the Bettman boos, but no others. The cheers for the players as they got drafted were certainly loud.

As an aside, why can I get beer in the WFC at 10am?

The only booing I really remember hearing in person was Bettman and when any GM congratulated LA (Which rubbed me wrong). I also left before Pittsburgh picked, so I missed the booing of Tocchet. Other than that, there may have been a smattering, but I'm wondering if mic locations or other technical items made it sound worse than it was in person.

Well there's your problem, you were actually in the building.

If you watched on tv you would have had a much better perspective on how classless you were :ph34r:

If you watched on tv you would have had a much better perspective on how classless you were

Of course not, but which group would have been larger, so which opinion/take away would be more prevalent?  Maybe it is a conspiracy, but it came across boorish and asinine on TV.

• Like 1

Especially when they're almost all thanking the city and the organization for being such nice hosts.

But I guess these events being out the real dedicated nut jobs with nothing better to do.

@Phillygrump

As mentioned, booing Bettman is fair game. It's booing EVERYONE not affiliated with the Flyers that gets to be a bit much.

Don't have an opinion on this subject, to be honest.  But I thought this was a pretty interesting take, given the range of our opinions.

Take a bow, PHI. Tremendous NHL draft weekend. Crowd/atmosphere/energy for 1st rd was best I can remember. Been at every draft since 1982.