Shanahan

Phlyer1

but it came across boorish and asinine on TV.

Honestly, I don't even debate that their was loads of behavior that was boorish or asinine. It's this "I'm embarrassed to be a Flyers fan" and everyone in in the building should be ashamed of themselves shizit. Just a bit overblown. Mind you I'm defending behavior that I and the two members of this board that I sat with weren't engaged in (except the booing of Bettman which I think we agree was a nonissue). And the obligatory "what about the kids".....every single one of the kids drafted was saluted accordingly and IMO made to feel welcome.

And I will readily admit that I am probably overdefensive of my idiot brothers and sisters at the sports complex, it's like when you're younger and you that have one friend that more often than not gets himself into trouble because he's a lousy drunk - you stand up for him even though you know he deserves an ass beating.....and your whole group doesn't deserve the ass beating either.

Honestly, I don't even debate that their was loads of behavior that was boorish or asinine. It's this "I'm embarrassed to be a Flyers fan" and everyone in in the building should be ashamed of themselves shizit. Just a bit overblown. Mind you I'm defending behavior that I and the two members of this board that I sat with weren't engaged in (except the booing of Bettman which I think we agree was a nonissue). And the obligatory "what about the kids".....every single one of the kids drafted was saluted accordingly and IMO made to feel welcome.

And I will readily admit that I am probably overdefensive of my idiot brothers and sisters at the sports complex, it's like when you're younger and you that have one friend that more often than not gets himself into trouble because he's a lousy drunk - you stand up for him even though you know he deserves an ass beating.....and your whole group doesn't deserve the ass beating either.

I completely get all of that.  Good post.  I actually believe the comment that it came across differently on TV.  Honestly, though, on TV it did really come across embarrassing.

There wasn't any booing of the kids that I noticed, and the cheer for each kid was decent (please take note Eagles' fans!).  So that part is definitely good.

I guess they were simply booing Talon because it meant they hadn't traded the top pick.   (maybe they actually weren't booing Talon at all.  Maybe they were booing the Flyers for not pulling off the trade!)

@ruxpin

I think the Talon booing was a leftover from the 3 straight minutes of booing the commish, maybe it felt so good it was hard to stop!

If the Iggle reference was to McNabb in '99, absolutely agree what the Iggle fans in attendance that day was unforgivable, and indeed I think that always stayed in the back of his mind through his career here.

If the Iggle reference was to McNabb in '99

Yep.  I always felt bad for the kid involved there.  I mean, argue either way about his career, but at that moment it's a kid just out of college in the middle of the biggest day of his life to that point and ....

You know the rest.

Yep.  I always felt bad for the kid involved there.  I mean, argue either way about his career, but at that moment it's a kid just out of college in the middle of the biggest day of his life to that point and ....

You know the rest.

And the idiot responsible for putting together 30 other idiots to go out and do that still hasn't been run out of town.

• Like 1

Don't have an opinion on this subject, to be honest.  But I thought this was a pretty interesting take, given the range of our opinions.

Take a bow, PHI. Tremendous NHL draft weekend. Crowd/atmosphere/energy for 1st rd was best I can remember. Been at every draft since 1982.

Wow that is major props there.....nice to hear.

I guess it's that the booing makes it seem like it's about the fans, and it's really not about them at all. It's about the 17 and 18 year old kids realizing their dreams and the organizations that (can) make that happen.

You know what though? I would boo the hell out of Bettman too and Shanahan and any of these other guys that facilitate the good old boy network that the NHL has become. Hockey is great and the NHL has failed to maximize what it could be due to stubbornness and greed. 

As a fan of the sport who has been a fan for quite some time this league has become less and less about us and more and more about TV money. Sure I'm happy for the players but pro sports are about the fan first because without the fan they would just be sports. Two lockouts in 5 years, inconsistency, a lesser product…. sure, let Bettman and anyone else who has ears hear it. Why not?

Those kids will be hearing plenty of boos and cheers in their careers. I doubt a few boos ruined the day for them. They just fulfilled their dream.

Especially when they're almost all thanking the city and the organization for being such nice hosts.

I am not sure if it was a time thing or what (because they did run over), but I noticed about halfway through, the gms stopped thanking the Flyers, philly, etc. and just made their pick. 

I completely get all of that.  Good post.  I actually believe the comment that it came across differently on TV.  Honestly, though, on TV it did really come across embarrassing.

And the commentors kept commenting on it (I was watching TSN announcers). 

Here is my take, during the heat of a game / battle- have at it. That what philly is renowned for. The spectrum was one of the most intimidating barns to play in. I have zero qualms with that. 

But this was draft day. The whole week was spent promoting the kids (as it should be). Then we get to the draft and its like a Flyers -Pitss / Flyers-Rangers playoff game atmosphere. Everyone is all kujo'd up. The only ones that were spared were the kids. Really, for a draft? I can see having some fun, but it just seemed WAYYYYY over the top to me. Really, act that way for a draft? 

And the commentors kept commenting on it (I was watching TSN announcers). 

Here is my take, during the heat of a game / battle- have at it. That what philly is renowned for. The spectrum was one of the most intimidating barns to play in. I have zero qualms with that. 

But this was draft day. The whole week was spent promoting the kids (as it should be). Then we get to the draft and its like a Flyers -Pitss / Flyers-Rangers playoff game atmosphere. Everyone is all kujo'd up. The only ones that were spared were the kids. Really, for a draft? I can see having some fun, but it just seemed WAYYYYY over the top to me. Really, act that way for a draft? 

At least the kids were spared… (pats on back)

Personally I think it didn't go far enough. No hurled snowballs or batteries, no puking on little kids, nobody got tasered for running on stage, no doobie getting smoked in the men's room. I didn't see one single fight in the stands, not one!

I suggest the fans step up their game a bit.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think it didn't go far enough. No hurled snowballs or batteries, no puking on little kids, nobody got tasered for running on stage, no doobie getting smoked in the men's room. I didn't see one single fight in the stands, not one!

I suggest the fans step up their game a bit.

We should revel in our renowned hatred of our opponents. To be negative and boo is in our DNA....don't fight it....embrace the BOOOOOOSSS!!!

• Like 3

booing kids as they get drafted is foolish, I don't think there is any other way to look at it.

"Oh, the proudest day of your life? A moment of joy and celebration for you, you're friends and family? Allow me to loudly boo you on this occasion in my best attempt to make an overwhelming positive event in your life taste a little bit bitter and thus reinforce a tired and beaten cliche that national journalists can rely on to fill columns on slow news days for years to come."

sorry, I just really dislike it.

booing kids as they get drafted is foolish, I don't think there is any other way to look at it.

In case you missed it, kids didn't get booed as they were drafted. If they did you would have a point, but they didn't

From everything I saw, Bettman got the longest and most prolonged boos.  As has been stated, that's common practice across the league.  I don't recall seeing/hearing every single GM get booed, at least not by the entire building.  I'm sure there were some boos every time any team but the Flyers drafted, but my God, people are acting as though the fans hurled threats, insults, beers, etc at every non-Flyer affiliated person.  It certainly didn't come across as that bad on TV, at least in my opinion.  Judging by what Bettman had told the Flyers and what someone posted from Bob McKenzie, the NHL felt the event was a big success.

"Oh, the proudest day of your life? A moment of joy and celebration for you, you're friends and family? Allow me to loudly boo you on this occasion in my best attempt to make an overwhelming positive event in your life taste a little bit bitter and thus reinforce a tired and beaten cliche that national journalists can rely on to fill columns on slow news days for years to come."

sorry, I just really dislike it.

Did you even watch the draft? Not. one. draftee. All were *celebrated* for their accomplishment.

Journalists will cut corners and think they are oh so clever, while actually recycling jokes and stories older than I. **** em.

Bettman and some GMs were booed.

But really to me it just sounded like rowdy fans. Not anyone spewing hate. They were just really riled up. They cheered loudly for ridiculous **** too. There was just some booze and adrenaline flowing for whatever reason. I don't think twice about it.

To my knowledge there were no intentional projective vomits and no beatings that unread about. Win, win.

Did you even watch the draft? Not. one. draftee. All were *celebrated* for their accomplishment.

Journalists will cut corners and think they are oh so clever, while actually recycling jokes and stories older than I. **** em.

From what I heard even Homer got some boos which was a bit deserved when you look at the mess on Hexy's desk and the holes that ain't getting filled as a result.

From everything I saw, Bettman got the longest and most prolonged boos. As has been stated, that's common practice across the league. I don't recall seeing/hearing every single GM get booed, at least not by the entire building. I'm sure there were some boos every time any team but the Flyers drafted, but my God, people are acting as though the fans hurled threats, insults, beers, etc at every non-Flyer affiliated person. It certainly didn't come across as that bad on TV, at least in my opinion. Judging by what Bettman had told the Flyers and what someone posted from Bob McKenzie, the NHL felt the event was a big success.

But really to me it just sounded like rowdy fans. Not anyone spewing hate. They were just really riled up. They cheered loudly for ridiculous **** too. There was just some booze and adrenaline flowing

Right on Double K, boys will be boys.....especially in Philly

Maybe it's bad, but I've just come to expect it so it doesn't phase me.

In any event I prefer it to a reputation of being super polite and sipping from tea cups

This is hockey!

Right on Double K, boys will be boys.....especially in Philly

• 2 weeks later...

The booing is almost a tongue-in-cheek joke, there's this attitude that Well this is what we're told we are so you wanna see obnoxious and classless, here you go and we'll top it next time. That's what the 30-something generation has known all their lives, having the spotlight on Philly when Philly misbehaves but less scrutiny when similar things happen elsewhere. BS lazy journalism about Santa Claus in 19 freaking 68. You don’t like us, and we don’t like you, here’s another “black mark” for everybody to write about. That’s a sociology discussion by itself.

I don't know what it was like in Newark at last year’s draft last because I wasn't in the building, but I'm sure they were all perfect angels and clapped like seals when the Flyers and Rangers were announced. And I said in another thread, there were plenty of fringe fans there that are neither hockey historians nor brain surgeons, not your average Flyer fan to be sure. I cringed at the "sucks" after every team name was called, but then again I really don't give a shite what the rest of the NHL or the holier than thou media think of it either. Wish Tock got a better reception, but I'm not losing sleep that he didn't. Was it all a little much?  Probably, but then again it’s not like the PICKS got booed, all the kids got at least polite claps at the appropriate time. Ekblad got a great reception. But nobody wrote about that did they?

I raise my kids to show respect and sportsmanship, I will even point things out at home games and use as an example of what NOT to do. But Philly is what Philly is and in the end I've cast my lot in with the red-headed bastard stepchildren of sports. So no I wasn’t embarrassed, or ashamed to be a Flyer fan.

Well said sarsippius. I like that we have long memories in Philadelphia-it’s part of how we show our appreciation for genuine effort put forth. Rod Brind'Amour was my favorite player as a youngster and I'm glad he was received as he should have been. I remember him getting hit in the face with a stick and skating off the ice bleeding. He came back in the next period with 17 stiches across his face and continued on. That's genuine effort. That's Flyer grit. Seeing the draft in my town was wonderful. In a relatively weak showing player-wise draft, we still turned out like a bunch of loyal phans. Do you think that 1/10th of that passion would have been shown anywhere besides Canada? I think not. We are a brutal unforgiving lot and the NHL knew that going into this. If nothing else it's a validation of what others already believe to be true, we don’t take she-ite from anyone, in any form. Bravo Flyers fans, bravo.

• Like 1