Lightning select Anthony DeAngelo with No. 19 pick

Not very big and from what I understand, comes with a bit of baggage in the attitude department.

Still though, his skill level is high enough where Steve Yzerman thinks that some positive enivironment and exposure to good pros day in, day out could do him well.

We will see.

He is only 18, defensemen generally become mature enough to be regular NHL'ers from around 24-27 years of age. So there is plenty of time for the Bolts to see whether he will work out or not.

With his skillset though, barring any off the ice shenanigans, he may be ready for the big boys sooner than your typical defenseman.

While watching the draft the New Jersey native, DeAngelo, seemed a bit taken back when Hextall called out Sanheim for the Flyers first pick at 17.  

I think it will be fun to compare their careers over time 

I wouldn't touch him myself. There's something wrong there when you get suspended for using a racial slur, get suspended again for using one against a teammate, then get suspended again two games later for abusing an official. The kid sounds like a prima donna. The skill is certainly there. I think we already have that in Ghost, without the baggage.

Though I do think it would have been funny to have him room with Simmonds.

Next year will be a huge year in the development of De'Angelo. The offense and skating are all there, but his play away from the puck, his overall work ethic, defensive awareness.....these are all things he will have to work on in Sarnia next year. It remains to be seen if he can play defense in the NHL....which was really the big risk that Stevie was taking here....but with the youngsters electric skill set on offense, that is hard to turn down in the middle of the first.

While watching the draft the New Jersey native, DeAngelo, seemed a bit taken back when Hextall called out Sanheim for the Flyers first pick at 17.  

I think it will be fun to compare their careers over time 

Yea, I saw a segment on NHL Network where they focused specifically on DeAngelo.....he did seem a bit disappointed Philly didn't choose him...after that, he seemed like "Ok, somebody call me already..."

Minnesota went after Philly and didn't call him...then the Bolts went next and he looked ultra relieved, probably not so much that he ended up with the Lightning, but that he got called in the 1st round.

That said, in the ensuing interviews, he did seem quite humbled by the whole thing and didn't indicate at all that he'd rather be anywhere else but playing for the team that just drafted him.

Of course, I realize he WOULDN'T say anything negative with the cameras rolling AND given the fact that an NHL team just drafted him...but still, he did seem genuinely ready to start his path to the NHL through whatever route the Lightning thinks he may need to take.

Next year will be a huge year in the development of De'Angelo. The offense and skating are all there, but his play away from the puck, his overall work ethic, defensive awareness.....these are all things he will have to work on in Sarnia next year. It remains to be seen if he can play defense in the NHL....which was really the big risk that Stevie was taking here....but with the youngsters electric skill set on offense, that is hard to turn down in the middle of the first.

Being a small defenseman, just 18 yrs old (19 when the season starts), and given some of his negative history, I can see the Bolts wanting him to continue in Juniors before giving him an extended look at the AHL level.

In the AHL it will be where the Bolts really see what they have in DeAngelo, I think.

There he will play against some other up n comers, solid vets, and a much closer facsimile of NHL offenses and defenses than he will see in Juniors.

Also, his mental strength should be tested there as well, as I am sure, he will run into other saavy players who will look to goad him into doing things that he probably shouldn't, then the Bolts can see how he handles himself....and how he handles the adversity that will surely come when he finds that all the wonderful things he could do offensively in Juniors is stifled with more seasoned players.

He will have to make his adjustments...as he surely would should he ever reach the NHL level.

I will be watching him pretty closely come the Fall.