is Ehrhoff the answer?

I don't disagree but our youngsters are at least 2 or 3 years away. He would immediately slot into the too defensive position and allow Kimmo limited ice time.

Not saying I would do it but just throwing it out there as he is the best dman on the market right now.

If only AMac were not given the ridiculous contract...

Howdy:

I see both sides. He might be costly. But are current complement of D is not-so-hot. 

I suspect there will be fairly fierce competition for the dude.  I guess Buffalo is really aiming to clean the slate.

Howie

Looking at it from just a cap's position, I wouldn't add him.  But as a player, he does bring a certain value.  He is a good skater and is smart.  His ability to accelerate is underrated and he is one of the best in the NHL amongst the defensemen in that department.  I was hoping to see that in Streit, but he disappointed.  Ehrhoff is capable of logging big minutes and I can see him competing with AMac for minutes, which is important as it would give Timo some time to breathe.

But he does have flaws.  His shot is rarely on target.  He will get pushed around against big forwards.  And his defensive game is often suspect.

I don't know... Hexy made it clear that improving defense is a priority.  I keep hearling he is very serious about Dan Boyle.  I also keep hearing the Flyers were ready to make a blockbuster multi-team trade at the draft, but one of the teams involved pulled out in the last minute.  The Flyers defense need steadiness.  I don't think Ehrhoff is really what they need.  He won't hurt, but considering his cap hit, I'd pass...

Edited by Mad Dog

True.... But it was the Sabres

Yeah but lets not chance it. Besides they have other issues trying to rid themselves of VLC first. If they can move GrossmanN to i would be interested in adding another Dman and i'd prefer Boyle over Erhoff. And i'd prefer only a one year deal or another option.

• Like 1

Yeah but lets not chance it. Besides they have other issues trying to rid themselves of VLC first. If they can move GrossmanN to i would be interested in adding another Dman and i'd prefer Boyle over Erhoff. And i'd prefer only a one year deal or another option.

Bingo... Completely agree

I'm not sure where the "he sucks" stuff is coming from, but his price point is likely to be above what the Flyers can swing. At the right price, though, he'd be a good add.

• Like 3

Bingo... Completely agree

The one year deal i was referring to was for Dan Boyle. I know he isn't young by any means but in a limited role i'd take him over Erhoff.

Even at 37 he scored 12 goals and 24 asist and is a right hand shot which the Flyers could really use on their 2nd power play unit.

I'm not sure where the "he sucks" stuff is coming from, but his price point is likely to be above what the Flyers can swing. At the right price, though, he'd be a good add.

Well now i admit i never looked at his corsi numbers but that is a nice idea.

So i'll say i'm open to improving the defense...but shouldn't moving a few off the team (VLC and Nick to start) happen before considering that???

And i do like the idea of Kimmo playing with Luke. So you have my attention. Just not sure how they would go about it. It would be wise to move those to first before painting them selves into a corner like Homer would do.

I don't disagree but our youngsters are at least 2 or 3 years away. He would immediately slot into the too defensive position and allow Kimmo limited ice time.

Not saying I would do it but just throwing it out there as he is the best dman on the market right now.

If only AMac were not given the ridiculous contract...

I mean Lauridsen, and Alt, maybe Ghost. If resigned, possibly Manning or MAB. I think we need a final look, so we can move on to other prospects if necessary.

Not implying Morin, Hagg, or the new draftee.

To say he sucks is purely ignorant. He is not a weber type but he would be the #1 dman on this team and that is a fact. He would come in and provide skating and transition while eating a ton of minutes...

The problem is we signed the islander twins to ridiculous contracts..

• Like 4

I mean Lauridsen, and Alt, maybe Ghost. If resigned, possibly Manning or MAB. I think we need a final look, so we can move on to other prospects if necessary.

Not implying Morin, Hagg, or the new draftee.

None of those dmen are even remotely near ehrhoff... Mab is toast dude... His head is jello

Gost maybe in the long run but he is not going to be a minutes eater. Ollie is nowhere near Ehrhoff in skating and Alt will never be a #1 or #2 let alone and #3 or #4...

Hagg and Morin will take some time...

Edited by murraycraven

The whole problem with adding a guy like Erhoff is, we should be slowly planning to make room for the kids. This type of a signing blocks them. Sure, there are some elements of his skill set that would be very helpful, but I want short term vet fixes, not the multi-year type that I am assuming Erhoff would be looking for. Even with the buy out, I'm sure he will be looking for security, one contract that will take him to retirement. There will be enough interest he will get the cash and years he is looking for, but hope it's not the Flyers who ante up. NO MORE signing guys who will suck by the end of their deals!!  I hope Hexy is thinking along the same lines!!

• Like 3

None of those dmen are even remotely near ehrhoff... Mab is toast dude... His head is jello

Gost maybe in the long run but he is not going to be a minutes eater. Ollie is nowhere near Ehrhoff in skating and Alt will never be a #1 or #2 let alone and #3 or #4...

Hagg and Morin will take some time...

We don't know what those defenseman are without playing them in the NHL. Blocking their path indefinitely isn't the answer. Ehrhoff is better than them now, but later, who knows?

Ehrhoff was a defensively suspect player who got pushed around. No thanks. And certainly not for his market rate given the Flyers cap situation.

Sucks was an opinion of mine deriving from my preference of defenseman who can play defense.

I don't disagree but I am willing to bet that Alt, Ollie, Manning and everyone in the farm not named Haag, Gost and Morin will not be a Ehrhoff type player.

My take is that if we did not grossly overpay for AMac Ehrhoff would be a nice addition... We already have the highest paid defensive group in the NHL and we have no #1 or #1A to speak of... Ehrhoff would be an upgrade over everyone on our d roster....

Edited by murraycraven

@murraycraven  I'd much rather have the McDaddy than Erhoff. The only real place where Erhoff would be a improvement would be on the pp.....and since we can still throw Kimmo out there, that really reduces the need for that type of player. Ers *does* get pushed around a lot in his own zone, and area where the Flyers need to clean up, not get worse. All round Andrew brings a lot more positives to the team. This would be a classic Homer move, seeing the shiny new toy and signing him for to many years at to much money.....a year from now fans would be clamoring for Erhoffs trade and complaining we are stuck with him....ie VLC 2.0.

@murraycraven I'd much rather have the McDaddy than Erhoff. The only real place where Erhoff would be a improvement would be on the pp.....and since we can still throw Kimmo out there, that really reduces the need for that type of player. Ers *does* get pushed around a lot in his own zone, and area where the Flyers need to clean up, not get worse. All round Andrew brings a lot more positives to the team. This would be a classic Homer move, seeing the shiny new toy and signing him for to many years at to much money.....a year from now fans would be clamoring for Erhoffs trade and complaining we are stuck with him....ie VLC 2.0.

While I agree for the most part jammer A Mac to me was a huge mistake. He can be moved but that contact was ridiculous...

The fact of the matter is AMac corsi stats and every other stat prove he is worse than Ehrhoff... Andrew is not good in his own end and we are paying a boatload to him. He is not a top 3 dman - period.

Edited by murraycraven

While I agree for the most part jammer A Mac to me was a huge mistake. He can be moved but that contact was ridiculous...

The fact of the matter is AMac corsi stats and every other stat prove he is worse than Ehrhoff... Andrew is not good in his own end and we are paying a boatload to him. He is not a top 3 dman - period.

Sure, but we all know stats aren't everything. Kind of. AMac actually made Schenn a better defenseman, and if those two have chemistry, who's to say they don't play better than the sum of their parts? The Flyers seriously need some organizational consistency if they ever want that elusive chemistry.

Is Ehrhoff a better defenseman than AMac? Debatable. Is he better than all of the Flyers D? Not in my opinion (Coburn, Kimo). Do the Flyers need him and his contract? Hell no.

More with less should be this coming season's slogan.

@murraycraven  I didn't see a lot of the defensive gaffes that other posters did regarding McDaddy. He has real nice mobility, which is the starting point I always want....everything else can be worked on, but that initial foot speed is a must, and Andrew has that.