Gagner traded to Lightning then Coyotes

As  per twitter:

@DarrenDreger:  Oilers trade Sam Gagner to Tampa Bay for Teddy Purcell

I'm not sure I'm understanding this deal?  ...  Purcell $4.5M for 2 years for Gagner $4.8M for 2 years.

yeah it wasn't for the money  Gagner is actually owed $10M over final two years of contract, Puircell was owed $9M. So in real dollars a $1M add for Lightning. head scratchier more like it

I think the Oilers have been unhappy with Gagner for a while now. I thought he was going to get dealt at the last trade deadline, so was kinda expecting this. I think it's a pretty even trade. They are both 2nd liners who need a change of scenery. I left wondering what the Oilers plan on doing at center, a spot where they were shorthanded already. Maybe a precursor to a Spezza or Thornton addition?

I think the Oilers have been unhappy with Gagner for a while now. I thought he was going to get dealt at the last trade deadline, so was kinda expecting this. I think it's a pretty even trade. They are both 2nd liners who need a change of scenery. I left wondering what the Oilers plan on doing at center, a spot where they were shorthanded already. Maybe a precursor to a Spezza or Thornton addition?

Thornton already said he is not waiving to go anywhere. He most certainly would not be going to the oilers haha

Joe Thornton an Oiler? LOL... I needed that.

MacT gave a lengthy interview to Jim Matheson last week which indicated that he was looking at having Gagner play the wing, which is where he should have been playing for years. Purcell is an actual NHL player, which is a far finer return than many thought Gagner would fetch.

Wow: now, look at that. Yzerman then flips Gagner to the Coyotes right away, according to Bob McKenzie.

Update:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
TB has traded Sam Gagner to PHX, I mean Arizona. In any case, Gagner is a Coyote. #TSN

@TSNBobMcKenzie
PHX gave up a draft pick to TB for Sam Gagner and B.J. Crombeen. TB clearing salary cap room.

So Tampa gave away Purcell for a draft pick? 

@hf101

Stevie Y must have been reading my posts from last year and into this off season:

I had been calling for a move of Teddy Purcell for a while now...gotta say, I am DELIGHTED to hear this.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Purcell...he is actually a pretty good talented forward, but his consistency...arrrrghhh...

Also, while having decent size (6'2  210) he rarely used it and was often seen playing the perimeter when the Bolts had the zone.

I too was thinking if Purcell got a change of teams, perhaps he would wake up and perform like the player Tampa Bay gave the three year extension to.

Upon hearing we were getting Sam Gagne, I figured TB and Edm simply were trading disappointing forwards for the salary they were making.

Problem was, Gagne was  a centerman, and the Bolts already have five (Johnson, Filppula, Stamkos, Killorn, Thompson).

Stamkos has been playing wing (and is quite comfortable there) for Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat on the first line......and now I see the Gagne flip over to the Yotes.

Bottom line is right: Purcell and Crombeen traded for a 6th round pick.

Sounds crazy, but I think the Bolts simply wanted the cap space.

Now, losing BJ Crombeen does weaken the Bolts in the 4th line and PK units a bit.

BJ is a very good defensive forward and was the team's designated enforcer, and he found pretty good chemistry with Nate Thompson on the bottom rung line.

This makes me wonder if the Lightning may use the freed up space to have a look at a guy like Shawn Thornton, who is very familiar with Atlantic Division foes, to play with Nate Thompson on the 4th line.

Good luck to Teddy Purcell in Edmonton.

There are some nights where the guy plays unbelievably...not only in generating chances but in setting up his linemates too.

Unfortunately, they weren't as common as Bolts fans such myself (and apparently the FO) would have liked.

Still though, he will be playing with some very fast and talented forwards with the Oil...so if he can use this as a wake up call, the Oilers will have a very nice winger with some size and skill to play alongside their young stars.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Wasn't Purcell playing on a line with Stamkos the year he had over 60 points?  I had picked him up on my some of my fhl teams that year.  But yeah, your right his numbers decreased last seasonII'.  Putting Purcell on either one of Edmonton's top two lines should boost his points next season.   

I'm hearing Boyle and / or Iginla as FA the Bolts have interest in.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Wasn't Purcell playing on a line with Stamkos the year he had over 60 points?  I had picked him up on my some of my fhl teams that year.  But yeah, your right his numbers decreased last seasonII'.  Putting Purcell on either one of Edmonton's top two lines should boost his points next season.   

I'm hearing Boyle and / or Iginla as FA the Bolts have interest in.

Ya, HF...

Purcell either played with Stamkos on the first line or with VLC on the second that season, and got 1st PP unit time as well.

After he got those 60+ points, the Bolts figured he finally broke through and would do that year to year....turns out, that year was a fluke...at least to this point.

And with the possibility of Jonathan Drouin joining the team this coming season as a winger, there simply was no more time to keep waiting on Purcell to repeat that performance.

As for Boyle and Iginla, I hadn't heard that yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Not sure what Boyle has left, but if last season was simply a 'down year' for him, then he could possibly provide an offensive spark to go along with Victor Hedman from the blue line. Thing is, Boyle does NOTHING for the Bolts defensively. TB has a defense corps that gives plenty of offensive chances to the opposition already.

Last season could have very well been the beginning of the end for Danny Boyle, sad to say.

Iginla? Funny you should mention him....I posted in the Free Agency for Minnesota thread that I thought Iginla might possibly be a nice fit over there.  :)

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I think the Oilers have been unhappy with Gagner for a while now. I thought he was going to get dealt at the last FOUR trade deadlines, so was kinda expecting this. I think it's a pretty even trade. They are both 2nd liners who need a change of scenery. I left wondering what the Oilers plan on doing at center, a spot where they were shorthanded already. Maybe a precursor to a Spezza or Thornton addition?

Fixed it for ya