Free Agent Backup Goalies

Howie58

Greetings:

Here is a thread from NHL.com on the available UFAs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=724031&navid=DL|NHL|home

Greiss has gotten honorable mentions here. I find the the Vokoun option sort of interesting. The guy also looked top-tier with the Panthers. I know he is older but that makes him a non-threat to Mason.  I noted we might not give Cal Heeter an option. I am not sure if Solarz is ready. So a vet who knows his place may be appropriate.

Best,

Howie

Greetings:

Greiss has gotten honorable mentions here. I find the the Vokoun option sort of interesting. The guy also looked top-tier with the Panthers. I know he is older but that makes him a non-threat to Mason. I noted we might not give Cal Heeter an option. I am not sure if Solarz is ready. So a vet who knows his place may be appropriate.

Best,

Howie

I'd take either of Johnson, Greiss or Montoya

all are good choices.

I think Stolarz and Chubak will goaltend for the Phantoms.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Howdy:

Heeter's performance at the end of the season may have sealed his fate...I often wonder when we will develop our own goalie?

Peace,

Howie

I'm afraid you're right he didn't look great by any means and then his replacement (Chubak former Hobey Baker finalist)) without their best forward Akeson, whom was on the Flyer at the time along with Heeter as a backup goes and set the Phantoms all time save in a game record with 51 does do Heeter any favors.

Chubak in spot duty posted way better numbers than Heeter and may have stolen his job for good at least to backup Stolarz.

Carson went 4-2 2.33 gaa 928%

Heeter went 16-24 2.65 916%

Chubak is also a little younger.

So Flyers maybe moving on.

As far as Mason's job who knows.........

Greetings:

It's interesting that the press hasn't focused on goal as much as I might.  Mason can do 60-65 games at most. And we have to hope we didn't have a one-year renaissance that goes to hell in a hand basket. Meanwhile it would appear our friend Emery is history. At some point we have to pull the rabbit out of the hat on goal.  

Peace and best wishes,

Howie

I just don't see Heeter as a realistic #2.

Only in the event of injury.

Greetings:

Greiss has gotten honorable mentions here. I find the the Vokoun option sort of interesting. The guy also looked top-tier with the Panthers. I know he is older but that makes him a non-threat to Mason. I noted we might not give Cal Heeter an option. I am not sure if Solarz is ready. So a vet who knows his place may be appropriate.

Best,

Howie

I was kinda hoping Heeter would get a legit shot at camp, but that is not how these things usually work. Whoever they invest in for the back up job will be the defacto back up....and Heeter will most likely lose his starting spot to Stolarz on the Phantoms as well....or at least split time. Don't think he has done anything wrong, had nice stats, that is just how the cookie crumbles these days. Everything is predetermined before camp starts, because of the cap.....the only undetermined thing is a few forward spots Ie like the french winger.....but once again, that revolves around the cap savings as well.

K-squared:

I have a feeling in the up-or-out world, Heeter is history. And I wonder if anybody from the organization can fill the backup role?  

Howie

Take your choice of any 1 of 3 in the top 17 of

#6-Chad Johnson (28yrs)-925%

#16- Thomas Greiss (28yrs) 920%  

#17 Al Montoya (29yrs) 920%

...all worth a shot.

Ray Emery (32yrs) 903%.......................pass.

...all worth a shot.

WELL EFF THAT PLAN.......all are signed.....thank Homer you mothe r phucking idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

...all worth a shot.

As others have said, I wonder if Wells Fargo is viewed as the equivalent of Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome....two men enter, one man leaves, when it comes to goalies....this is not a good signing. I worry about Emery's health...I know he is a good teammate but that is not the only factor. 

Hey...I will sign for a league minimum, they can waive me....

Howie