Briere traded to Avs for Parenteau

How on God's green earth is this even a *remotely* even trade???  Briere is useless in the regular season...and P.A is still a very good forward. There must be some behind the scenes stuff here. Even if P.A was the worst teammate ever, this is like Kordic for Courtnall all over again.....puzzling to say the least. There has to more going the Ave's way?!?!

How on God's green earth is this even a *remotely* even trade???  Briere is useless in the regular season...and P.A is still a very good forward. There must be some behind the scenes stuff here. Even if P.A was the worst teammate ever, this is like Kordic for Courtnall all over again.....puzzling to say the least. There has to more going the Ave's way?!?!

Not sure, but I do know some personal details first hand that would make this trade logical. It's not my place to divulge it, but that might be why on the surface, it doesn't look like a very good hockey trade.

Parenteau was not Roy's kind of player. What that means, exactly I'm unsure.

Briere and Therien didn't get along at all. The backroom drama there was palpable according to a couple different radio shows today.

So, if they lose Statsny--which is probable--the Avs get a down lineup center who can move to wing when needed and bring some veteran leadership.

Parenteau is a good fit for Montreal, I think, so probably no explanation needed.

Two guys who really needed a change of teams

@ruxpin  The uneven part is the age, PA is 31 and Danny is 36....but the stats were equally unimpressive, so not quite as lopsided as I thought once I looked up the stats for both. think it was 33 pts to 25 with both missing time due to injury.

Yeah i don't understand this either they needed another center but this puts them very,very thin at RW unless they have a plan like bringing back Roy and Sakic's old teammate back Radim Vrbata which i would understand.

@jammer2

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/josh-gorges-nixes-toronto-trade--but-could-canadiens-pressure-him-170902165.html

Apparently, the Habs and the Leafs had a deal in place to trade Gorges to Toronto.  The common wisdom is that it was for a position player, but I don't think it's been reported who it is.  Anyway, Gorges wouldn't waive his no-trade and is really pretty upset about it and is talking to any media outlet willing to put a microphone in front of him.   He initially had a list of either 15 teams he would not go to or would go to (not sure which) and Toronto -- and no Canadian team, for that matter -- was not among the acceptable teams.   He's since increased his "I'll think about it list" to include some Canadian teams but Toronto is still not among them.

@jammer2

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/josh-gorges-nixes-toronto-trade--but-could-canadiens-pressure-him-170902165.html

Apparently, the Habs and the Leafs had a deal in place to trade Gorges to Toronto.  The common wisdom is that it was for a position player, but I don't think it's been reported who it is.  Anyway, Gorges wouldn't waive his no-trade and is really pretty upset about it and is talking to any media outlet willing to put a microphone in front of him.   He initially had a list of either 15 teams he would not go to or would go to (not sure which) and Toronto -- and no Canadian team, for that matter -- was not among the acceptable teams.   He's since increased his "I'll think about it list" to include some Canadian teams but Toronto is still not among them.

Hmmm, interesting. Josh is a solid 3rd pairing type, not great at any one thing, but decent at everything.

So, if they lose Statsny--which is probable--the Avs get a down lineup center who can move to wing when needed and bring some veteran leadership.

Parenteau is a good fit for Montreal, I think, so probably no explanation needed.

Two guys who really needed a change of teams

Agree with everything. I would also add that Briere has only one year left on his contract and the money between him and PA cap wise is a wash. PA has two years left. 

I thought once I looked up the stats for both. think it was 33 pts to 25 with both missing time due to injury.

I looked at the same thing. Also, PA was getting 16 min a night while Briere was getting 12. Take that for whats its worth. 

I think its a stop gap / greener pastures type of thing. Next summer, Colorado will have 4m more in cap availability and not have to deal with whatever the problem was with PA in colorado. Also, Briere is clutch in the playoffs. Something colorado could have used in the last 2-3 games when Minny shut down colorados top line. 

• Like 2