Qualifying Offers Announced

Howie58

Greetings:

Well, Gus, McGinn, Akeson, and Manning are in; Heeter out.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=724659

Gustafson and Manning are perhaps 6-7 guys down the road.  Akeson seems to have some scoring potential. McGinn has shown some flash. Heeter must not have generated enough heat.  But from my vantage, this underscores just how bad a feeder the A has been for us in recent years.  I am not sure we will get much out these four horsemen. 

Peace,

Howie

I'm thinking the Flyers had to qualify Gus to retain his rights? Can anyone confirm that? Want to see more of Akeson, less of McGinn and feel bad for Heeter, his age worked against him. Feel like he got cut loose without a real legit shot....such is the cruel way of life in the NHL....Manning will soon be in the same boat as Heeter, to old and to many talented youngsters nipping at his feet....He needs to have a HUGE training camp to have any shot at a future in this org.

Greetings:

Gustafson and Manning are perhaps 6-7 guys down the road.  Akeson seems to have some scoring potential. McGinn has shown some flash. Heeter must not have generated enough heat.  But from my vantage, this underscores just how bad a feeder the A has been for us in recent years.  I am not sure we will get much out these four horsemen. 

Peace,

Howie

Thanks for this Howie.

I agree. I think based on a very limited sample, Akeson has a spot to lose on the big club at training camp. McGinn is a serviceable callup for the 4th line. Gus, well, we know the history, and Manning seems destined to be a minor leaguer unless the Flyers actually give him a shot. He's now behind a lot of defensive depth - but he's also 24 and could serve as a 3rd pairing guy to bridge the gap.

Heeter's out probably more on the fact that Stolarz figures to get the lion's share of the starts, and Chubak will back him up. They seem to be more realistic future Flyers than Heeter.

I'm thinking the Flyers had to qualify Gus to retain his rights? Can anyone confirm that? Want to see more of Akeson, less of McGinn and feel bad for Heeter, his age worked against him. Feel like he got cut loose without a real legit shot....such is the cruel way of life in the NHL....Manning will soon be in the same boat as Heeter, to old and to many talented youngsters nipping at his feet....He needs to have a HUGE training camp to have any shot at a future in this org.

Exactly exact.

On a telated note, Anders Lindback did not fet a qualifying offer. His numers last year sucked but looked good but looked good with the Predators. If nothing else, he and Mason would probably be the tallest tandem in the league!

Howie

May need them if deals can be made and /or the euro signees don't work out.

Greetings:

Gustafson and Manning are perhaps 6-7 guys down the road. Akeson seems to have some scoring potential. McGinn has shown some flash. Heeter must not have generated enough heat. But from my vantage, this underscores just how bad a feeder the A has been for us in recent years. I am not sure we will get much out these four horsemen.

Peace,

Howie

• Like 1

Details on each player after the jump.

Kind of expected all the guys no qualified are just filler basically...career AHLers they'll have to find a new Captain because Holmstrom wasn't offered, i wouldn't be shocked if Vandevelde when the dust settled is brought back on a two deal maybe. Everyone else on that list is MEH at best.

I'd like Hexy to maybe offer Sanheim's teammate Guilleume Gelinas a tryout or AHL only deal even if he has to start out with Reading it be worth the look.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92286

Sad about Bourdon too but it is time for him to hand it up.

On a telated note, Anders Lindback did not fet a qualifying offer. His numers last year sucked but looked good but looked good with the Predators. If nothing else, he and Mason would probably be the tallest tandem in the league!

Howie

Now there's a thought.

Akeson deserve a shot.

He will get it but he better have been hitting the weight hard to increase his upper body strength one of his weaknesses, he was knocked off the puck easily i thought. And that part of his game was exposed in the playoffs the BIGGEST one area he needs to address if not he may be waived and sent back to the Phantoms forever...ball is in his court.

@jammer2,

This was confirmed when Gus signed with the KHL team. Flyers had to qualify him to retain his rights if/when he wants to return to the NHL.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/5/16/5723118/erik-gustafsson-signs-with-avangard-omsk-of-the-khl-per-report

Since Gustafsson is a restricted free agent, the Flyers can retain his NHL rights by sending him a qualifying offer this June. He (obviously) won't accept it, but it means that if he attempts to come back to the NHL in the near future, the Flyers will have the chance to play/trade him.

Anders Lindback did not fet a qualifying offer. His numers last year sucked

Exactly............i'll pass take a run at Chad Johnson or Greiss.....then if that don't work go with a Montoya offer.

Emery for league minimum, assuming no Lindback?

No he was exposed for his sloth like lateral movement during the playoffs versus the Rangers and they scored a goal or two by getting him to have to go across his crease to defend.....i'd pass there to time for a new backup replacement. Emery's hip is done.

• Like 1

No he was exposed for his sloth like lateral movement during the playoffs versus the Rangers and they scored a goal or two by getting him to have to go across his crease to defend.....i'd pass there to time for a new backup replacement. Emery's hip is done.

It's called a tradeoff. Stick with the familiar, and make the cap work. He's still a viable backup, as long as the defense plays reasonably well.

It's called a tradeoff. Stick with the familiar, and make the cap work. He's still a viable backup, as long as the defense plays reasonably well.

Sorry i prefer to try a healthy one instead.

Sorry i prefer to try a healthy one instead.

As would I, but the Flyers are already over the cap without a backup goalie or a LW1. and, while he looked bad on those crossing shots, he looked good heads up. It's not like Emery played terribly.

As would I, but the Flyers are already over the cap without a backup goalie or a LW1. and, while he looked bad on those crossing shots, he looked good heads up. It's not like Emery played terribly.

Sad to say maybe i guess we can thank Homer once again....the 1st LW is already on the team and the backup who knows he maybe planning to resign Esche...he's got to be 50 by now.