Wings looking at Boyle and Erhoff?

jammer2

Detroit Free Press Wing beat writer Helen St.James speculates the Wings just might be in the market for both UFA's Boyle and Erhoff. They have 15 mill in cap space but have to hand out bridge contracts to 3 or 4 RFA's....but I guess they could squeeze them both in if they got favourable deals with the kids and ditched Kindle like Helen suggested. Should be an interesting 1st of July coming up in Motown. This feels like the right move, they have great talent at the forward position, the way to really help this club is make the defense tighter in front of Howard. I don't know how Erhoff accomplishes that goal, but he seems like the type that will play better surrounded by talent rather than being counted on as the #1 go to guy. He would not have that kind of pressure in Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140630/SPORTS05/306300131/detroit-red-wings-christian-ehrhoff

@yave1964  Assuming the 15 mill in cap space number is accurate...they would have to re-sign Dekeyser, Tatar and Sheahan. Those are 3 quality players right there, assume 2 mill average for all of them.....that leaves 9 mill to re-sign Alfie and or Legwand and sign UFA's Boyle and Erhoff? I don't see any way for that to work out. Perhaps signing just one d-man (Niskanen perhaps?) and retaining Kindle and his 2.4 mill....you might be able to get everyone signed going that route. I think Legwand can be a very useful piece next year, and don't think he would cost a lot. If I had to choose between Alfie and Legwand, I'd begrudgingly go Legwand...but Alfie brings a lot of veteran stability on a fairly young team. I'd want to sign them both to be honest, but that does not leave room for 2 big FA additions from where I sit.

My bad I thought it said 15 million after the kids resign. Personally, on the bridge contract I think 2 million a year is a bit high for the kids, I think it will be about 4 mill collectively which leaves roughly 11 million.

Even with that, we should be able to get one of the d-men plus Alfie or both of the defensemen and Legwand. Your right, all 4 simply does not work, even if we manage to find someone to take Kindl. If we can move out Kindl, maybe Iggie can come into play but I am not sure how, I keep reading he is on the Wings radar and my belly goes all atwitter....

@yave1964 @jammer2

Happy UFA Day!

I don't see Legwand coming back without dumping Sheahan back to Grand Rapids, which would leave him despondent and angry, ready to take a deal anywhere to get back onto NHL ice.  Our centers are set...Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, and Sheahan, with Weiss and Glendening in the pocket.  Joaquim Andersson is already trade bait as it is.      

Grabbing Boyle would be ideal as he is looking for a two-year contract, but he has expressed real interest in Toronto or Tampa Bay.  Both would offer him nice deals so there is plenty of competition.  Holland has enough room to throw a few extra dollars at him, maybe some bonus money too if the Wings go deep in the playoffs, etc. 

Niskanen would be great to have, but he'll be the hot commodity this year and can command his own price.  I don't see him landing in Detroit, unless Alfredsson declares early this morning that he definitely will retire, which would open up more cap space for Detroit to woo Niskanen.

As for Iginla...do we really need him?  Talented, yes, but he's an aging winger. He's definitely talented, and a right-handed shot to boot.  I suppose if we added more firepower up front and become a high-scoring team, it would help make up for any holes in the defense.  (Assuming Kyle Quincy is not asked back as well)  

Either Boyle or Ehrhoff and the Wings can consider this summer a success.

@yave1964 @jammer2

Happy UFA Day!

I don't see Legwand coming back without dumping Sheahan back to Grand Rapids, which would leave him despondent and angry, ready to take a deal anywhere to get back onto NHL ice.  Our centers are set...Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, and Sheahan, with Weiss and Glendening in the pocket.  Joaquim Andersson is already trade bait as it is.      

Grabbing Boyle would be ideal as he is looking for a two-year contract, but he has expressed real interest in Toronto or Tampa Bay.  Both would offer him nice deals so there is plenty of competition.  Holland has enough room to throw a few extra dollars at him, maybe some bonus money too if the Wings go deep in the playoffs, etc. 

Niskanen would be great to have, but he'll be the hot commodity this year and can command his own price.  I don't see him landing in Detroit, unless Alfredsson declares early this morning that he definitely will retire, which would open up more cap space for Detroit to woo Niskanen.

As for Iginla...do we really need him?  Talented, yes, but he's an aging winger. He's definitely talented, and a right-handed shot to boot.  I suppose if we added more firepower up front and become a high-scoring team, it would help make up for any holes in the defense.  (Assuming Kyle Quincy is not asked back as well)  

Either Boyle or Ehrhoff and the Wings can consider this summer a success.

Ehrhoff being available supplanted Niskanen as the top UFC defenseman. A few years older, but proven to be able to play at that level for multiple years(Niskanen has only put together 1 solid season). Twice in the top 10 for the Norris. Edler has gone to crap since he left the Nucks. Plays on average 24 minutes a night to Niskanen's 20-21 minutes. Obviously is stats dropped on a team like Buffalo and his happiness and effort dropped off once they were obviously tanking and rebuilding, but I'd rather have Ehrhoff back than Niskanen. Minus 27 and 33 points last season is not pretty, but Buffalo was a team that was collectively minus 400 and Ehrhoff was their 3rd or 4th highest scorer with 33 points lol.

Yup, and on a 1 year deal. WAAAAAY less than I thought, but if he can have a career year passing to Crosby and Malkin, he could demand more next season

It was a calculated gamble on Erhoff's part, it may just pay off. I thought he should have took the guaranteed years and cash elsewhere, if he suffers a serious injury he will be kicking himself.

It was a calculated gamble on Erhoff's part, it may just pay off. I thought he should have took the guaranteed years and cash elsewhere, if he suffers a serious injury he will be kicking himself.

Ehrhoff is quite the iron man though.

@jammer2

Pittsburgh is the team to play for these days.  Loaded with talent and always a competitor, like Detroit in the early 2000's.  Ehrhoff should enjoy his stay there.  He's looking for hardware, and my guess is that Pittsburgh management limited the contract to one year, given the front office and head coaching changes.  There's a lot of variability right now.

@jammer2

Pittsburgh is the team to play for these days.  Loaded with talent and always a competitor, like Detroit in the early 2000's.  Ehrhoff should enjoy his stay there.  He's looking for hardware, and my guess is that Pittsburgh management limited the contract to one year, given the front office and head coaching changes.  There's a lot of variability right now.

Yep, if you are gonna pick a team that might win, choosing Sid and Malkenstien is not a bad bet. I like the comparison, the Pens are a popular destination right now, much like the Wings who added Lucky Luc among many, many others when they were in their hey day.