Spezza Traded to the Stars

The 31 yr old Spezza along with prospect Ludvig Karlsson has been traded to the Dallas Starsin return for winger Alec Chiasson, prospects Alex Guptill and Nicholas Paul, plus a second-round draft pick in 2015.   Spezza ihas one more season for a salary of $4 million and a cap hit of $7 million.

Dallas has definitely improved with their #1, #2 centers in Seguin and Spezza.  Ottawa on the other hand must be looking to pick up a FA center as they are near the cap floor and really only have Turis.

That is a lot of humanity and potential that went back to Ottawa.

Granted, Jason Spezza is an outstanding talent, but he IS injury prone and like I said in the shoutbox, I thought a deal for Spez would cost, at most, two players, but three players AND a 2nd rounder in a deep 2015 draft? Wow....

Ok, ok...so the Stars also get Ludvig Karlsson but still....

On top of that, Jason Spezza is a UFA after next season, so he could walk away from Dallas then, leaving them with just Ludvig.

Ottawa, meanwhile, made out like bandits, IMO.

Sure, they lose a top flight goal scorer, but then again, he didn't seem like he wanted to be there any longer, he carried a big cap hit, AND the Sens get three players, any of which could replace Spezza at some point down the line.

I looked at the minors and university stats for the three players Ottawa got back and they all seem to have high end scoring potential.

I am thinking Dallas' plan with this is to compete and compete NOW with the likes of the rest of the Central Division...and hoping Spezza stays healthy enough to help get them to playoffs and make a run for the Cup.

If Jason does stay healthy, Dallas then has a very fast, very skilled scoring type team to go along with their solid goaltending in Kari Lehtonen.

The Stars added more offense as they added Ales Hemsky  to a 3 year $12M contract.  Hemsky gives the Stars another playmaker as the skilled winger can carry the puck through the neutral zone setting up Benn or Seguin.