Isles sign Chad Johnson

hf101

The Islanders goaltending woes appear to be over as the Islanders sign Chad Johnson to a 2yr deal worth $2.6M.  Johnson is expected to back up Halak however I think the Islanders will give him a chance for the starting role.  In 27 games with the Bruins, he had a .925 save percentage and went 17-4-3   -- not too shabby.

@hf101  We all know Halak is injury prone, I'm thinking the Isles just got a *lot* closer to a playoff spot with a really good young tender to back up Halak. He is capable of stealing that job outright if Halak falters.....at the very least a great one-two punch. It's gonna SUCK playing against the Isles with these tenders...they will steal some points from the Flyers....I guarantee it.

• Like 1

@hf101  We all know Halak is injury prone, I'm thinking the Isles just got a *lot* closer to a playoff spot with a really good young tender to back up Halak. He is capable of stealing that job outright if Halak falters.....at the very least a great one-two punch. It's gonna SUCK playing against the Isles with these tenders...they will steal some points from the Flyers....I guarantee it.

Yeah all my options for a backup to Mason are off the board, and day that use to be exciting for us Flyer fans has been turned into a day of sadness all by a guy who isn't even a Flyer GM anymore.

I know he'll never come out and say it but i know that this has to make Hexy a little resentful towards Homer in his first year at the helm instead of him making a decent mark he is just helpless in an arms race....just terrible.

I know all the rest of the other 29 teams GMs have to be enjoying watch one of the biggest players in free agency just stand pat and can't do anything.

Ya know....to not have cap space to sign a fine young tender like this....that is horrible. To see him to to a direct division rival is even worse. Yep, Mason is the goalie of the future here, but if you sign Chad to a 3 year deal....you leave open the possiblity of someone else wanting to trade for him...a long term injury to Mason, he would have been *perfect* insurance...and lessened the load on Mason keeping him fresh for the playoffs. What a huge error letting the Islanders getting their hands on this kid.

@OccamsRazor  ha ha...one of my first thoughts when I saw all the crazy deals being handed out was "thank God Homer has no cap space to waste"....then I remembered Hexy was at the helm and moved on to your thoughts....Homer left him with no maneuver room at all....dammit, we could not even sign a quality back up tender.....unreal.

• Like 1