We ain't doin' ****

Way to go Homer.  Hextall's hands are tied tighter than a sailor on nickel beer night.

I still have hope that VLC can be moved tomorrow or a little later and we'll just be on the hook for the 2 mill bonus... but that's even seeming less and less likely.

Ultimately I think he'll figure it out and we'll probably ice a team very similar to last year's (minus Gus and Hartsy obviously)  with the possibility of some whipper snappers getting a shot at the big team in camp.

But Free agents... not so much this year.

What are everyone's thoughs on Peter Mueller? I saw an article on Philly.com outlining that he would be low risk, potential high reward and he is still only 26. I'd post the article but I'm on my iPad. He has had injury problems for sure. As a cash strapped team looking for a scoring winger I'd take a flyer...pun intended. Not to mention he currently plays for the Kloten Flyers. 8-)

• Like 1

This is the perfect year to be 'handcuffed' in terms of free agency. After seeing some of the contracts handed out today, it's clear that some of the GMs were high. So, once all the big name players have been signed, I think you'll see teams like Nashville come back and want to make a deal for Lecavalier. I expect the same with Grossmann. If guys like Stralman and Orpik can get 4.5 and 5.5 million on the open market, I certainly believe that a guy like Grossmann can be had for his 3.5 million he's getting paid. Still leaves Coburn, Streit and MacDonald as guys on the defense making more than 4.5, but it's possible one of them could also be getting shopped. 

Overall, I love what Hextall is doing. In previous years, it's been big change after big change after big change. Now, it's a more methodical approach, similar to what Hextall's former boss, Dean Lombardi, used to do. Notice that Lombardi never got into ridiculous bidding wars in free agency, locked up all his key players before free agency and drafted well. Hextall is following that blue print and it's a good blue print to follow.

This is the perfect year to be 'handcuffed' in terms of free agency. After seeing some of the contracts handed out today, it's clear that some of the GMs were high. So, once all the big name players have been signed, I think you'll see teams like Nashville come back and want to make a deal for Lecavalier. I expect the same with Grossmann. If guys like Stralman and Orpik can get 4.5 and 5.5 million on the open market, I certainly believe that a guy like Grossmann can be had for his 3.5 million he's getting paid. Still leaves Coburn, Streit and MacDonald as guys on the defense making more than 4.5, but it's possible one of them could also be getting shopped. 

Overall, I love what Hextall is doing. In previous years, it's been big change after big change after big change. Now, it's a more methodical approach, similar to what Hextall's former boss, Dean Lombardi, used to do. Notice that Lombardi never got into ridiculous bidding wars in free agency, locked up all his key players before free agency and drafted well. Hextall is following that blue print and it's a good blue print to follow.

A voice of reason for today and it does make sense.  Good post.  However, I will counter with this one argument.   There was money there for a quality back-up netminder.  I do agree with some the overpaid contracts that just got handed out. l.

A voice of reason for today and it does make sense.  Good post.  However, I will counter with this one argument.   There was money there for a quality back-up netminder.  I do agree with some the overpaid contracts that just got handed out. l.

Oh, I still think a viable back up will be signed. Right now though, Hextall has to fix the situation with the cap going forward before he does anything else. Once he gets that cap fixed, then I think you'll see a legitimate back up signed. There's still some good goaltenders left and right now, it's a matter of waiting everything out. Hextall is doing his best Lombardi impression and I have to admit, it's working well so far.

I agree in principal with what you are saying BC....but unless everything works out perfect in terms of our roster evolving properly....there is a real good chance we don't make the playoffs with a legit back up to Mason. Emery is not the answer. They should have saved enough to invest in a good young solid back up....like Chad Johnson or Montoya etc.  There is a fine line to missing or making the playoffs....and a solid back up in todays NHL is not a luxury...it's a necissity. Now, we will have to settle for crap, or give up assets to make up for missing out on the fine young tenders that were signed for CHEAP today. I'm not happy.

• Like 1

I agree in principal with what you are saying BC....but unless everything works out perfect in terms of our roster evolving properly....there is a real good chance we don't make the playoffs with a legit back up to Mason. Emery is not the answer. They should have saved enough to invest in a good young solid back up....like Chad Johnson or Montoya etc.  There is a fine line to missing or making the playoffs....and a solid back up in todays NHL is not a luxury...it's a necissity. Now, we will have to settle for crap, or give up assets to make up for missing out on the fine young tenders that were signed for CHEAP today. I'm not happy.

Hextall's hands are tied by the salary cap. Yes, it would be great if he could have signed Johnson or Montoya, but with the cap being the mess that it's in, I think it's more imperative to get that looked after first because if it's not looked after, there could be far greater consequences than just missing the playoffs. I'm still convinced that a back up will be secured (and when the back up is secured, I think people will be happy that Hextall didn't go crazy on the signing) and I'm also convinced that Hextall will make the required moves to get out from underneath some bad contracts. I just hope people will be patient. I'm reading on other boards and people are freaking out that Hextall hasn't done anything yet and people are ready to throw him under a bus. Some of it is ridiculous.

ONe could be coming in a trade.  Zepp might just be a safety measure.  Hold tight.  Does anyone know anything about him anyway?

Either way, we need a healthy Mason at the end of the season.  That's the bottom line. 

I agree in principal with what you are saying BC....but unless everything works out perfect in terms of our roster evolving properly....there is a real good chance we don't make the playoffs with a legit back up to Mason. Emery is not the answer. They should have saved enough to invest in a good young solid back up....like Chad Johnson or Montoya etc. There is a fine line to missing or making the playoffs....and a solid back up in todays NHL is not a luxury...it's a necissity. Now, we will have to settle for crap, or give up assets to make up for missing out on the fine young tenders that were signed for CHEAP today. I'm not happy.