Homer: Bad GM or Worst GM Ever? Discuss:

pilldoc

Someone please for the life of god explain to me why we signed VLC in the first place.  It was like jumping out of the fire (using the 2 get out of jail free cards and cutting the bad contracts of Bryz and Briere).... BUT... BUT ..then we jump right back into the fire with a absolutely horrendous contract in VLC. Good god...did not Homer learn the frist time........

when i heard of the signng, i thought i was being punked. that's how crazy it was.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Homer was a good GM. Not great, but good. He made two BIG mistakes imo, the Bryzgalov contract and signing Lecavalier. On the plus side:

Turned the player who used to be Peter Forsberg into Timonen and Hartnell

Turned Zhitnik into Coburn

Signed Matt Read and Michael Raffl as undrafted free agents

Drafted Ghost, Morin, Hagg

The Richards and Carter trades were two of the best trades by any GM in recent years imo.

Yes, there have been other signings and trades that haven't been so good but overall I'd have to say the positive outweighed the negative by a good bit. He didn't win a Cup of course, which at the end of the day is all that really counts. But despite the cap issues we're seeing now he's left the team in pretty good shape for Hextall going forward.

This hasn't proven to be good or bad yet, but I'm with you on the rest. He also acquired Pronger, for what amounted to nothing, and he was a huge reason that .500 team made it to the Cup. He's flawed, particularly when it comes to cap-related stuff, but he's better than Clarke or Jay Snider.

Archived