Emery's back

That SUCKS....we could have done much better. Griese got a mill....I'd MUCH rather have him than Emery!!  Ditto for Chad Johnson...makes under a mill signed for 3 years.....UN FRIGGIN REAL!!!!!

W-T-F!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm fine with this as a desperate measure safety net. 

we're screwed cap wise this year even if Hextall can pull of a VLC miracle.

Signing Brodeur to be backup wasn't gonna happen.

It is being reported that the Flyers have resigned Razor, 1 yr - 1 mil.

I'm sure Hextall wasted his afternoon waiting to hear back on VLC deals (rookie mistake) that he won't hear back on until he pays out the 2 million tomorrow.

Snider breathing down his neck n that probably.

In the intervening time he lost out on those two... and now he just needs something.  At least we know what we're getting with Emery. 

after losing out on guys like that, I'm really okay with this. 

Frankly, Johnson and Griese screwed themselves by signing bad deals too early in the day IMHO.

That SUCKS....we could have done much better. Griese got a mill....I'd MUCH rather have him than Emery!!  Ditto for Chad Johnson...makes under a mill signed for 3 years.....UN FRIGGIN REAL!!!!!

W-T-F!!!!!!!!!!

Could have picked up a better player, but I'm not that concerned about the backup goaltender position this year.

Really?  Having an excellent back up is the difference between making the playoffs and missing them in today's NHL. We could miss the playoffs based on this sub-par signing. His stats regressed this past year, I expect more of the same. We are dead in the water for a lot of those back to backs....that is HUGE!

• Like 2

I agree with @jammer2.   You need to have a solid backup in today's NHL.  Personally I just don't trust Emery.  He simply does not have the mobility that Mason has.  If Mason should go down for an extended period this upcoming season this team is toast.  There were backups out there today that would have fit this role and for whatever reason there was no action by the Flyers.  This a disappointment.  

Really?  Having an excellent back up is the difference between making the playoffs and missing them in today's NHL. We could miss the playoffs based on this sub-par signing. His stats regressed this past year, I expect more of the same. We are dead in the water for a lot of those back to backs....that is HUGE!

Very true. Would I like to make the playoffs? Yes. But realistically, this team as constructed needs to have several deletions, and some additions which just can not happen this year before it's a serious contender. I would therefore prefer to concentrate on fixing the mess over worrying about making the playoffs. If we make it, great, as we know, all you need to do is get in. But this team would need a significant amount of luck to make a run, IMO. A backup goalie could help them get in, but he won't help with the luck. None of these guys signed for more than 2 years, so you'd be back at it again when the team really started an upturn. Could we have improved the position? Absolutely. But I don't see it as such a difference maker this season to get too worked up over it.

@AJgoal  Well, speaking in terms of generalities, we have a fairly young team that should grow and evolve into a better squad. We have a full year of McDonald, which should make the mobility on defense a tad better. If you are gonna spend a mill anyways, why not take the better option. Chad Johnson's next contract will be worth 5 mill a year, I wish it was the Flyers who upped his value to that point, not the division rival Islanders. In fact, he could be the long term answer to the Islanders quest for a terrific young goalie....so our loss is their gain.

Very true. Would I like to make the playoffs? Yes. But realistically, this team as constructed needs to have several deletions, and some additions which just can not happen this year before it's a serious contender. I would therefore prefer to concentrate on fixing the mess over worrying about making the playoffs. If we make it, great, as we know, all you need to do is get in. But this team would need a significant amount of luck to make a run, IMO. A backup goalie could help them get in, but he won't help with the luck. None of these guys signed for more than 2 years, so you'd be back at it again when the team really started an upturn. Could we have improved the position? Absolutely. But I don't see it as such a difference maker this season to get too worked up over it.

Very nice counterpoint.  I see the direction your are coming from and yes it does make sense.  So the question becomes.....

1) Is it important to you (the fans in general, not to you specifically AJ) that this team make the playoffs?

or

2) Is it more important to fix the this team (the Flyers) properly first even if it means missing the playoffs?

Personally I would take option #2 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Sure, I will admit, it is a pride thing to make the playoffs and yes once in anything can happen. (see this years Rangers).  However, I would be ok missing the playoffs knowing that we have a GM who appears that he will try to fix this team for many success's down the road.

Very nice counterpoint.  I see the direction your are coming from and yes it does make sense.  So the question becomes.....

1) Is it important to you (the fans in general, not to you specifically AJ) that this team make the playoffs?

or

2) Is it more important to fix the this team (the Flyers) properly first even if it means missing the playoffs?

Personally I would take option #2 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Sure, I will admit, it is a pride thing to make the playoffs and yes once in anything can happen. (see this years Rangers).  However, I would be ok missing the playoffs knowing that we have a GM who appears that he will try to fix this team for many success's down the road.

Like I said, I if you are going to spend the million, why not invest in the better goalie?  I can only assume that they did not want to commit to the multi-year deal....so if anything, the signing of Emery may be a huge vote of confidence in Stolarz. I'm not sure he should be garnering that kind of thought process based on his season last year....but all signs point to Stolarz being the winner in this little back up game.

• Like 1

@jammer2

and that quite possibly be the thought process.  i guess we shall see in a few weeks.  And for the record, yes, I totally agree, if you are going to spend a million, I would most definitely get the better back-up.

@AJgoal  Well, speaking in terms of generalities, we have a fairly young team that should grow and evolve into a better squad. We have a full year of McDonald, which should make the mobility on defense a tad better. If you are gonna spend a mill anyways, why not take the better option. Chad Johnson's next contract will be worth 5 mill a year, I wish it was the Flyers who upped his value to that point, not the division rival Islanders. In fact, he could be the long term answer to the Islanders quest for a terrific young goalie....so our loss is their gain.

Johnson is 28, 2 years older than Mason. He may become terrific, but he's not going to become young. And Reese apparently credits Emery for some of Mason's growth this year. If that is in fact true, maybe Emery IS the better backup, not for the games he plays, but for the ones Mason does. However, you could have signed him before - unless you were letting the market get set to prove he's worth what you think and not what he thinks.

To answer Doc's question, I absolutely lean towards fixing the team over trying to get in and make a magical run. The team has been patched together each year over the last several with no real plan or direction. I'd like to see that change.

• Like 2

@AJgoal  I just think despite Johnson's age, he was never given a fair shot to show what he can do...but valid point,...lol...he can't get younger. His age and ie maturity is even more reason to want Johnson...he was on a very good Bruins defense, but he was stellar in a lot of his games. A decent amount of shut outs for a back up also. We made a huge error here, Razor will get worse.

@AJgoal  Just looked at Chad's carrer stats....to be honest, I thought he had a lot more NHL experience than he does. He only really had the one year last year, and that was a small sample of 27 games....but I stand by the guys skill set, he's a very good goalie. It is however, a bit of a risk signing a guy to a multi year deal with only one year to go off....so I'm starting to understand Hexy's thinking a bit....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69015

but I stand by the guys skill set, he's a very good goalie. It is however, a bit of a risk signing a guy to a multi year deal with only one year to go off....so I'm starting to understand Hexy's thinking a bit....

Yeah but he has good lateral movement and two good hips how much is that worth???

Yeah, he wasn't Boston's backup the year before last - I don't remember his name, he signed in Carolina last offseason.

Khodbin.....the other goalie I wanted the Flyers to sign last year....Boston has a nack for finding gem goalies. I suspect Subban will be the next one, their defense will allow him to have some nice stats eventually. May take a year of AHL seasoning again.