Emery's back

His stats regressed this past year, I expect more of the same.

I mean by how much though? Emery's always been a .920 kind of guy, with a ~3 GAA. I'm just estimating, looking at his career stats, but yeah last season he finished just above .900. Not his worst year far from his best.

The second part - you expect more of the same... I would be perfectly happy if he gives us a .500 record. That 9-12-2 from last year doesn't begin to tell the story - so if the Team avoids losing nearly every game in October and November again Emery should be fine for a .500 season or better.

Plus I rarely saw him struggle more than the average goalie - whether it was lateral movement, general quickness / recovery, etc. People were hammering him for getting beat on 3 on 1s for chrissakes.

Maybe his hip really does bother him but if so I never saw it. Is he the absolute best we could do? Probably not. But he's a known quantity and teams like dealing with known quantities. That's not always a bad thing, even if the Flyers have done a lot of it over the years.

Ray Emery is not going to cost us games or be the reason we miss the POs. I don't give any player that much credit, esp the backup goalie. If he can't cut it we'll know pretty quick and then Stolarz will get a look maybe.

• Like 1

I mean by how much though?

43rd out of 51 in GGA and SV% is bad bro....it's real bad. They could have spent that mill better. I'm not at all satisified with a back up giving you a .500 record. I want much better than that. If I had the time, I'd research how many playoff teams had a primary back up with a better than .500 record....I'm betting most of them did.

If he gets 20 games and goes 10-10 I won't be disappointed. 43rd out of 51 looks bad but to me these are team stats as much as they are goalie stats. I just can't get worked up about mediocre GAA and Save% - esp not last year's.

If he gets 20 games and goes 10-10 I won't be disappointed. 43rd out of 51 looks bad but to me these are team stats as much as they are goalie stats. I just can't get worked up about mediocre GAA and Save% - esp not last year's.

If they are team stats and don't reflect his actual play, why did Mason post good numbers with the same defense?

By the sounds of it, it wasn't for a lack of trying. The beat writers mentioned that Hextall was in the market for a backup goalie, so he most certainly had lines in the water. I would not be surprised it the Flyers made pitches to several of the available goaltenders.

So either the offers weren't competitive enough or this goalies simply wanted to go elsewhere. Philly as a destination right now is probably not super appealing. We're a middling team with composition problems and it's not a secret.

So all things being more or less equal, it's entirely possible that the team is not appealing at the moment.

I have to think the other goalies did not have an interest coming here.  At last that is what I hope. 

yeah with the D we have...why would you want to come here.  Maybe in 2-3 years when we have a stronger D with the kids...but not right now......

they are probably thinking...i don't want to be hung

out to dry.....

I like the guy in terms of competitive spirit but we saw his Achilles Heel by seasons end. I am not happy with this. I wonder if other alternatives stayed away based on what they believed is a hostile goalie environment.

Howie

I like the guy in terms of competitive spirit but we saw his Achilles Heel by seasons end. I am not happy with this. I wonder if other alternatives stayed away based on what they believed is a hostile goalie environment.

Howie

Historically, yes, but this fan base is behind Mason.

I posted this elsewhere, but thought this would add to this properly labeled topic.

The Emery signing is more about going with what is being known as the "Jagr" effect, He has made Mason a better player through his encouragement and teamwork mentality. I don't agree with getting another goalie and changing the dynamics just yet.

Consistency is so important in the youths development, whether it's forwards or defensemen. Changing key positions/players every year is not good for the development of our youth. Imagine having a different dad every year growing up. Of course this is an exageration, but our young players need to have good examples and consistency in their development, signing Emery is a small step in this direction, he is a good example and a consistant positive example to our goalie and players and has the right attitude.

Getting the shiniest toy doesn't always mean the funnest toy. (Enter VLC, great piece and a good pickup, but not the piece we needed. He will do a nice job elsewhere.)

We needed this signing, it was the smart choice, the right call for THIS year. What Mase learns from Emery, he will teach to our up and comer goalie in the wings, having a father/big brother growing up can set you straight. I will thank Briere for what he did and his role with Claude and Coot. And to a one year degree with Jagr as well. Without this in your system.....Viva le miserables.

• Like 1

A few Hextall comments on signing Emery:

On Emery taking a pay cut:

"They knew the position we were in. It’s tight for us, so I think in trying to be fair with Ray, would we have liked to have a guy lower than that – yeah, we would have. But that’s kind of the market, and I think Ray stretched down for us, and certainly we appreciate that. We tried to get him everything we could, and tried to be fair and treat him with respect.

On Ray’s relationship with Steve Mason:

"Yeah, it’s an important thing. I’ve been on teams where the goalies don’t get along and sometimes it can divide the team and it’s not a good working relationship. I think with Ray and Mase getting along so well and kind of both knowing their roles, it obviously worked well for us last year and we expect the same thing this year.

Emery plays well in Philly, he gives full effort.  Other than maybe wishing the Flyers might have signed Chad Johnson, I think Emery was a safe and solid move for Hextall.

I like the guy in terms of competitive spirit but we saw his Achilles Heel by seasons end.

Like this whole turd of a game by him.........

or this gem....

Edited by OccamsRazor

The other thing to consider is that we're looking for a backup. A number of these guys probably want a shot at starting - that's just not going to happen here. Johnson's in a good place to compete for a starting job. and Greiss apparently felt he had a shot at the starting job in Pitts:

azc_mclellan Sarah McLellan
#Coyotes weren't close with Greiss since he wanted to go somewhere with more regular time, potentially compete for No.1 role.

I'm fine with this as a desperate measure safety net. 
we're screwed cap wise this year even if Hextall can pull of a VLC miracle.

Signing Brodeur to be backup wasn't gonna happen.

To @jammer2 point, both Griese and Chad signed 1m a year. Same cap hit. 

And Reese apparently credits Emery for some of Mason's growth this year. If that is in fact true, maybe Emery IS the better backup, not for the games he plays, but for the ones Mason does.

If that is truly the case then make him the goalie coach. I like Emery but he just doesn't have the ability anymore to play the game against any team that can pass the puck laterally. With defensemen that back into the zone nearly every time (Streit/Macdonald), Emery will be hung out to dry.

It's not like Mason, or most goalies for that matter, are any good at near 180 degree cross ice one timers guys...that's on the defense.

Some are definitely better than others. I've seen Mase make some pretty spectacular lateral saves. It's probably a lot of things combined - physical mobility, reaction time, anticipation, body positioning, etc. But I agree, they're very hard to stop!

@AJgoal - I have to agree with you there.  Of the names mentioned I would have to believe each was still looking for that chance that maybe, just maybe, they had a chance to start.  While that *could* have been the case here chances are it would not have not with a younger now "established" #1.

Yeah, I said somewhere else that they screwed themselves by signing too soon.

If they could have held out til later in the afternoon they could have gotten more from the then desperate flyers.

But as far as using those to drive down Emery's price, what are they going to say to razor? He had a great year backing up Mason and stayed mostly healthy. They didn't lose to the rangers because of him and so he's not moving laterally as well... I'm not sure that can be used as a negotiation point.

The fact is in spite of everything, he served this team well in that roll.

I think he makes Mason better too. They're a good tandem.

Younger and with a non rebuilt hip may have been better, but in not gonna hate on Emery.

To @jammer2 point, both Griese and Chad signed 1m a year. Same cap hit.

Younger and with a non rebuilt hip may have been better, but in not gonna hate on Emery.

I am not hating on Emery, I just think the Flyers would have been better served with a more mobile back up goalie than the one they currently have......

The other thing to consider is that we're looking for a backup. A number of these guys probably want a shot at starting - that's just not going to happen here. Johnson's in a good place to compete for a starting job. and Greiss apparently felt he had a shot at the starting job in Pitts:

azc_mclellan Sarah McLellan

#Coyotes weren't close with Greiss since he wanted to go somewhere with more regular time, potentially compete for No.1 role.

I can see that as the real reason one of these 2 are not with Philly. Can't blame the young guns for wanting to compete, they were not gonna get that in Philly. Everything else is probably a cover story by Hexy and Homer...but I can see the continuity thing being useful.

I think Mason and Emery have a pretty good relationship (not Giroux/cop type relationship, but Emery kind of mentors him) Mason IMO would still be a concern confidence-wise since it's not all that long ago his career seemed on the ropes. If this helps him continue on his way back developing upwards, then I'm ok with it.