Bill Meltzer - Today's Blog - Meltzer's Musings: Status Quo, Quick Hits

pilldoc

this is all predicated on my not thinking signing bonuses are counted in the same way as performance-based bonuses.  i.e., i don't think year end bonus cushions can accept signing bonus overages.  i'm not positive, though.

thanks. 

Loop hole?? 

For me, it seems it might be a deal breaker with moving him. Teams can love both the salary and cap hit, but not want to lump on the 4.5 additional owed. I am guessing it becomes an issue in a trade v. a buyout v a keep him deal. 

Also, not sure who said it, laughton should not be with the big boys this year. Which I think I am on board with. So, that means bite the bullet with VLC this year on whichever line he is going to center. 

I think its a trade dead-line thing. Slot him on the 4th balance the lines on minutes between 3rd and 4th and run with it. While I want the team to always compete, I think in doing that, you give laughton valuable minutes in the AHL and should someone at center get injured, he is the call up. Secondarily, if Vinny is lighting the lamp (assuming he is still get #pp minutes), then its a win win. At the trade deadline if I can move him for a 2nd, I snatch it and run. Then move Laughton up to his spot if he is ready. 

I've defended Holmgren quite a bit but I really cannot wrap my head around buying out Briere and then promptly signing Lecavalier. We get rid of two aging guys with crazy contracts, Briere and Bryz, then you go out and immediately court VLC simply because he's out there and it seems a lot of teams were going after him? Another reason why Hexy is a breath of fresh air.

• Like 2

I've defended Holmgren quite a bit but I really cannot wrap my head around buying out Briere and then promptly signing Lecavalier. We get rid of two aging guys with crazy contracts, Briere and Bryz, then you go out and immediately court VLC simply because he's out there and it seems a lot of teams were going after him? Another reason why Hexy is a breath of fresh air.

I've been preaching to the choir about this for months!  Vinny was not what this team needed and now Hexy is left to deal with this mess.