Flyers sign Nick Schultz (D); trade McGinn

brelic

McGinn to the Sharks for a 3rd rounder next year.

They also signed Nick Schultz to a one-year contract.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725246

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed 6-1, 200-lb unrestricted free agent defenseman Nick Schultz to a one-year contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Schultz, 31 (8/25/1982), comes to the Flyers with 880 games of NHL experience with Minnesota, Edmonton and Columbus.  He split the 2013-14 season between the Oilers and Blue Jackets, posting five assists and 28 PIM in 69 total games. 

Schultz was drafted in the second round (33rd overall) by the Minnesota Wild in the team’s first-ever NHL Entry Draft in 2000, and as such was the second draft pick in the team’s history.  He appeared in 743 games for the Wild over ten seasons from 2001-2011 and remains the franchise’s all-time leader in games played.  Schultz recorded 26 goals and 102 assists for 128 points during that time and averaged 19:35 of ice time per game over his ten years with the Wild.

Schultz was traded to Edmonton in exchange for Tom Gilbert on February 27, 2012 and spent parts of three seasons with the Oilers before being traded to Columbus for a fifth-round draft pick at the trade deadline on March 5, 2014.

2014-15 Flyers full and partial season ticket packages are on sale now. Call 215-218-PUCK or visit PhiladelphiaFlyers.com for ticket package information.

Odd moves

McGinn was/is a borderline NHLer, so not much loss there. 

Hextall did say he wanted to add a 7th defenseman, so I guess Schultz is that guy... but does he know? I'm sure he doesn't want to serve popcorn with Rosehill for most of the year. It's a tough job to take over from Gill.

And he's what you want in a 7th dman. A finished product who can play in a pinch, but who you won't be stunting the development of by sitting him in the pressbox for 60 games a season. However, it depends on the money, as he made 3.5 million last year.

• Like 1

Love the fact we got a 3rd rounder for McGinn, nice move. Nick Schultz, I dunno....I guess you could do worse for a 7th d-man, but not sold that he will be the right kinda fit. I've heard some disparaging things about him from the Oiler fan base...we shall see.

• Like 1

A little high for a 7th guy, I'd have looked at a Bickell type for 900k or so, but not bad. At least he's only 31. Now to ship off one of the overpriced vets to clear that 6th slot for one of the youngsters.

• Like 1

Well, depending on what your opinion is on McGinn (and from what I've gathered on this site, it isn't very high), the Flyers did well to trade off a guy who perhaps the team would not really use on their big club for a 3rd rounder in a supposedly deep draft.

2015 is supposed to be so loaded, that even in the 3rd round, teams may find guys that normally would go in the 2nd round / late 1st round on any other draft.........under that scenario, kudos to Philly for that particular trade.

I will be honest, I don't know much about McGuinn, so can't really comment on what the Sharks may get out of him.

Who knows, he may turn out to be a decent player for them.

As for Nicky Schultz...wow..he is making the rounds isn't he.

Funny thing is, the Schultz isn't terrible by any stretch.....but it isn't all that good either. He is just one of those players that is so middling, so plain vanilla, so......umm, STOCK, that if you get mad at the signing or be happy with it, you'd be right either way!    ;)

I will sum up Nick Schultz with this photo:

stock-vector-moving-hockey-player-in-ret

Uh huh. Shutterstock hockey player. Exactly.

The guy is so standard in about everything he does. Heck, 6'1 200 pounds...even his SIZE is stock....

He won't make any outstanding or even very good plays....but isn't a big turnover machine either, and will usually just move the puck along in the most basic fashion.

You will get almost ZERO offensive production from the guy, again, he is a stock defenseman so no surprise there, but also, he will do the standard things to break up developing plays and as long as the rushers aren't top tier players he's got a better than average ability to shut the play down.

He is a decent checker, but not overly physical. He isn't particularly fast, but not slow either....yes, you guessed it, about standard speed......

At this point, I think Flyer fans get the gist here.

Is he an upgrade over a guy like Hal Gill or a Nick Grossman?

Maybe, maybe not...

Hal Gill doesn't have very many redeeming qualities, but the man IS huge....if he can manage to make contact with a forward, he most likely puts them down. Schultz is faster, but he won't really put anyone down.

Grossman is probably a better checker as well, however, Schultz will not cough up the puck as much as he would......unless of course he deals with an 'above standard' forward, in which case he may have a bit of trouble there....

Stock, stock, stock....

He has plenty experience, probably won't cost alot, but most of his experience is in doing things in standard, unspectacular ways.

Hey, maybe Philly could use "standard" right about now. But if the Flyers have anyone for the blue line in their system that is remotely ready for the NHL, then Standard Schultz becomes Placeholder Schultz real fast.

I don't hate the guy. Didn't hate him in Minnesota. There were times when his "stock-ness" was fresh air compared to the lousy defense I saw some D-men on the team at the time play.

Still though, I got this urge to eat plain vanilla ice cream whenever he took the ice....or if I was really hungry, maybe just a plain ol burger on plain white bread......

Don't know why I felt that way....... ;)

• Like 4

Another two decent moves.  McGinn was done in Philly, just not good enough.  Surprised to see a 3rd coming back, but that works for me.  No salary coming back either, woohoo!

Adding defensive depth is good too, forcing young guys to either make the top 6 in the NHL, or play in the AHL.  Either way, the kids will play, and *that* will help their development.  Ain't that right Gus?

Now for a LW.  Maybe a 1 yr chance on Penner or Booth?

• Like 1

A 3rd for McGinn...wow thats outstanding. I like the Shultz singning I think he will be a great fit here. I think he could get a starting job possibly as a 6th d-man. I really like the moves Hexy has been making latley. Alot of good depth signings and making the Phantoms a better team. Nice to have your loose ends all tied up God forbid a starter goes down we got serviceable back ups for the time being.

If we were gonna go for a bland *meh* 7th d-man, I'd rather have Paul Ranger than N.Schultz. Ranger is bigger at 6'2 and 215, is 29 and skates better than Nick. I'm think we could have signed him for the vet minimum also...so maybe save almost half a mill or so....and Ranger has a bit more offensive upside than Schultz...and is better in his own end. I really liked Paul on the Leafs, although it seemed as if he needed a change of scenery...to bad it was not Philly.

• Like 2

If we were gonna go for a bland *meh* 7th d-man, I'd rather have Paul Ranger than N.Schultz. Ranger is bigger at 6'2 and 215, is 29 and skates better than Nick. I'm think we could have signed him for the vet minimum also...so maybe save almost half a mill or so....and Ranger has a bit more offensive upside than Schultz...and is better in his own end. I really liked Paul on the Leafs, although it seemed as if he needed a change of scenery...to bad it was not Philly.

Hell they of sign T.J. Brennan He is 6-1 213 and can skate and for 600K that my friend was a steal.

AHL----76gp 25gls 47ast 72 pts.............i'd take a Flyer on him first....for 600K half of Schultz money.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I agree with much of what TFG is saying re: Schultz.

-Calm feet

-Almost no real offensive ability.

-A ton of miles on him, and the downhill side is getting to be very steep.

-Has never once in his career been a guy that helps move the puck north. Never, which is generally my issue with defense-only players. They don't prevent as many goals as a better player can help create, and there is tremendous defensive benefit to being able to move the puck out of your end. That's an ability Schultz never had.

Yes he is dead last in the NHL with his shooting percentage stat of ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeebus....they could have done a much better job of filling this 7th dman job......jeez, they could have thrown a dart at all one mill UFA's and done a better job!  This is Kent Huskins all over again!!  Is it just me, or does it seem like this org is CRAP at adding depth d-men...even with Hexy at the helm they continue to SUCK!!

Jeebus....they could have done a much better job of filling this 7th dman job......jeez, they could have thrown a dart at all one mill UFA's and done a better job!  This is Kent Huskins all over again!!  Is it just me, or does it seem like this org is CRAP at adding depth d-men...even with Hexy at the helm they continue to SUCK!!

Yes that is why i suggested rolling the dice on TJ Brennan for 600K.....at least he would seem to help some maybe. Just can't understand such a blah signing...Minny got rid of him because he didn't fit their skating blueline philosophy so how can he help ours????

Yes that is why i suggested rolling the dice on TJ Brennan for 600K.....at least he would seem to help some maybe. Just can't understand such a blah signing...Minny got rid of him because he didn't fit their skating blueline philosophy so how can he help ours????

Watch for this to do nothing but grow and grow over the years as GMs seem to *finally* be figuring out that defensive defensemen without a shred of ability to move the puck whether by pass or skate aren't the great item they were thought to be for so long. Misery is a D-man whose biggest asset is "off the glass and out".