Caps want to be Penguins?

The Caps signed Oprik to a (unbelievable) five years at $5 million each.  That's just crazy! 

The Caps signed Matt Niskanen for $5.75 million per year.  Not unreasonable considering the most recent free agency signings.  All the more confusing since they just had a lockout over contract amounts and the costs to the teams.  But the amount being reasonable doesn't make the 7 year term reasonable.  That's just crazy! 

The Caps signed fourth liner/AHL journeyman Chris Conner to a two way contract for an undisclosed amount.  

We'll make sure to see if they're interested in any other Penguins we don't want anymore or can't afford anymore.  

By the way, the Orpik signing was dubbed worst signing of the day yesterday by NHL Tonight.   

Nothing better than sit back and laughing as a direct division rival wastes a quarter of their cap on old news and unproven talent!!  Yay!!

Couldn't agree more.   Nisky I think I will miss, especially IF he continues to grow, but I don't think he's the defensive type that the Caps needed.

Oripik?  We'll always have the memories of his younger years, but he's not the player he was, not sure why.  I think it was a hugh overpayment for too many years, and its going to haunt the Caps in years to come.  He's already slowed down at 33, imagine him 3 years from now let alone 5.  I wanted to see him dealt at the deadline to get something, this is just a secondary bonus to see him decline further in Washington.

Edited by nossagog

Overpayment and overcommitment for both defensemen. The $5.75M isn't really that bad for Nisk, but yeah, as @Polaris922 says, 7 years is just crazy for a guy who's had ONE excellent season. The Caps better hope he has 4-5 more of those.

$3M per for Engelland is also pretty silly.

$5M x 5 for Cammalleri??? That could easily backfire.

Couldn't agree more.   Nisky I think I will miss, especially IF he continues to grow, but I don't think he's the defensive type that the Caps needed.

Oripik?  We'll always have the memories of his younger years, but he's not the player he was, not sure why.  I think it was a hugh overpayment for too many years, and its going to haunt the Caps in years to come.  He's already slowed down at 33, imagine him 3 years from now let alone 5.  I wanted to see him dealt at the deadline to get something, this is just a secondary bonus to see him decline further in Washington.

I wonder if they're going to try and move Green? Niskanen can basically bring what he does. 

@Polaris922  If they bought Orpik out next year, I believe they would be paying it off until 2028......WOW!!  They are married to this guy for better or for worse. They might eventually get a get out jail card when the next strike/CBA comes......when is this current CBA scheduled to expire?

@Polaris922 If they bought Orpik out next year, I believe they would be paying it off until 2028......WOW!! They are married to this guy for better or for worse. They might eventually get a get out jail card when the next strike/CBA comes......when is this current CBA scheduled to expire?

Trotz just gave a statement saying they got Orpik for his maturity, leadership, and toughness that their defense was lacking. Sounds like they're already making excuses for that contract just in case.

Trotz just gave a statement saying they got Orpik for his maturity, leadership, and toughness that their defense was lacking. Sounds like they're already making excuses for that contract just in case.

He should provide all of that....for a year or two. I just don't get these GM's....if the average fan knows a guy will be washed up before the contract ends, how are they fooled?  Seems like many, many GM's are making this classic blunder. Inevitably, the teams that stay out of UFA period and build through patience will be left standing.

Anyone who watches hockey already knew that. The problem is he's breaking down already, and they gave him FIVE years?

Anyone who watches hockey already knew that. The problem is he's breaking down already, and they gave him FIVE years

edit....mistakenly thought this was a VLC thread....not there is much difference.....lol.