Tell me about Tye McGinn Flyer fans!

his nick name here was "Tye-No-Mite".  he's not a bad player not flashy but decent.  has a good shot and can throw his size around.. for some reason Chief just didn't like him.. he was the 1st callup when someone got hurt. so someone in the organization liked him it just wasn't chief.. at this point he's a 3rd line winger

Edited by Irishjim

@J0e Th0rnton  When I first saw him, I thought he might have had the potential to be a legit power forward. He showed flashes of power forward potential anyways. He still could be that...although it's very doubtful at this point. He skates well once he gets going, but his first few steps are a little slow. If he is paired with the right linemates, he could produce, but you will not get any consistency out of him. He goes to the tough areas and plays with a bit of an edge....but only average on the forecheck, which is a big part of being a 3rd liner.

• Like 1

@J0e Th0rnton  When I first saw him, I thought he might have had the potential to be a legit power forward. He showed flashes of power forward potential anyways. He still could be that...although it's very doubtful at this point. He skates well once he gets going, but his first few steps are a little slow. If he is paired with the right linemates, he could produce, but you will not get any consistency out of him. He goes to the tough areas and plays with a bit of an edge....but only average on the forecheck, which is a big part of being a 3rd liner.

Heh. Sounds like Ryane Clowe(Never expected to do anything). Before he played with Joe Thornton, who taught him how to use his body and protect the puck.

Heh. Sounds like Ryane Clowe(Never expected to do anything). Before he played with Joe Thornton, who taught him how to use his body and protect the puck.

the problem is JT is that McGinn is not a puck posession type player.   He is not someone that will have the puck on his stick.   He is a guy who can get into the slot and score when given a good enough pass.   I would love to say that he is worth a 3rd rounder but honestly I really do not see it.   He was never in favor of the coaching staff.   Maybe he turns into something and maybe he wont.  If I am a betting man he is nothing more than a NHL / AHL tweener as a 3rd liner.   He is not a smart enough defensive player to play on the 4th...

• Like 1

@J0e Th0rnton Well, protecting the puck with his body is not a skill that McGinn seems to use very often. But yeah, I could see a bit of Ryan Clowe's game in McGinn. He's pretty tough like Clowe, but I think Ryan would have a good chance of winning a scrap against McGinn.

@J0e Th0rnton

Looks like people already gave you some less than positive feedback on him.  :ph34r:   So I won't spend more time trying to tell you what he is bad at.

But serioulsy, it's not really that bad and there are some positives.  First, he is still only 23, so a lot can still happen.  The kid has some serious upside.  He is a power forward with some upside and he was a scorer in junior hockey.  Maybe all he needs is a learning curve and ice time.   Time will tell... He can be a bust, of course, but at 23, it's at least worth giving him a good look.  He may be one of those guys who can flourish in the right environment because, again, I like the upside.

I commented on McGinn/Pick thread that I reallly didn't know much about him either, @J0e Th0rnton , so I tuned in here to see what was being said.

Doesn't sound like a ton of upside, but keep this in mind:

As was mentioned, he is still only 23 with good size AND don't you guys have his brother Jamie on your roster?

For whatever it's worth, maybe Tye will look forward to playing alongside his sibling and that alone could help elevate his game to NHL status.

Worth a 3rd rounder in a deep 2015 draft?

Probably not, but as you are very well aware, the Sharks are not looking at picks down the road....they want to win a Cup as soon as yesterday...... Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau aren't getting any younger, so live bodies that can help in any way, shape or form are what SJ probably wants....and McGuinn probably represents more potential right here, right now than a pick later on.

EDIT:

Ooops.

Did some checking on Jamie McGuinn after I posted...he has actually been long gone from San Jose...my bad.

Alllriighty then (in  my best Emily Litella of SNL fame voice) "That is different then....nevermind!"  :D

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

@Mad Dog

and, worst comes to worst, he is a safe call up.  won't hurt you.

No, it won't hurt you at all.

People in this thread are saying the Flyers did well in this trade as they got the third pround pick.  OK, I won't argue.  But it's also a good trade for San Jose as they got a potentially promising young power forward for *only* a third round draft pick.  So from their perspecitve, this should be considered a good trade too.

the problem is JT is that McGinn is not a puck posession type player.   He is not someone that will have the puck on his stick.   He is a guy who can get into the slot and score when given a good enough pass.   I would love to say that he is worth a 3rd rounder but honestly I really do not see it.   He was never in favor of the coaching staff.   Maybe he turns into something and maybe he wont.  If I am a betting man he is nothing more than a NHL / AHL tweener as a 3rd liner.   He is not a smart enough defensive player to play on the 4th...

Neither was Clowe :)

In fact, Clowe was terrible at everything. He was brought to the team to be an enforcer since we did not have one at the time. He could not maintain possession, work the boards, pass worth a damn. He could bump a goalie good, stand in front of the net and try to pick up garbage and fight. Eventually, Thornton was getting pestered and cheap shotted a lot, and the next time we played that team, they iced Clowe with Thornton. Thornton apparently did not like the idea of having a goon on his line(Thornton was a pretty damn good fighter) and started explaining a few things to Clowe during practice trying to simplify it as where to go to get his passes, how to use his body and stand to keep the puck to cycle it back, how to drift into scoring areas he wants to pass to. etc etc.

Its amazing how some of these big guys get little proper training on how to use their body to protect the puck, stand along the boards, and do the simple things like cycle. Clowe even said he was always encouraged to just get to the net, stand in front of the goalie, and try to

Clowe scored like 5 goals in 2 games and Ron Wilson was like "Durrr?" and let him stay up in the top 6. TMac was not fond of him though.

In short, the same thing he did with Mike Knuble in Boston.

Thornton, for all his faults, gets a lot of credit from teammates for teaching them a lot of stuff. Especially the bigger guys who were never shown certain things. Oh yes they were told how to do it by coaches and videos. But Knuble and Clowe said it never clicked for them until Thornton started drilling it with them, literally showing them how to plant their skates and brace properly with the puck to not have it knocked away, how to use their butts.

I suspect WIlson intends to give top line duties to all young guys this season, and I expect Thornton may find himself playing on the lower lines with others. Maybe even this kid :P

I can dream he can turn another guy pegged as an AHL player or 4th liner into more can't I? lol

His defense needs a lot of work and he is not very good on the back check which is what I think really hurt him w the flyers.

I think he could be okay but honestly think he is nothing more than an fringe player in the NHL.

Just my take but.I hope he turns into a good player for you guys... He will not hurt you but I would like him to be more of a factor on the forecheck and back check. He tends to float a lot and nitnuse his legs which can be taught....

Edited by murraycraven

We gave you a third rounder for him.

What is he like?

Oh, J0e, I'm sorry.

I hadn't seen this until now.  The Flyers got a 3rd rounder for McGinn?

Depending upon how he's used, he won't hurt you.  But his work ethic is questionable, and his ability honestly has a 4th line ceiling to it.  Mobility is poor and defense is meh.  You likely would have been better off actually using the 3rd round pick.   He's likely a career AHLer who can play with the big club as a fill-in for short periods of time.

Then again, if you ask a couple posters around here, you may have just effectively replaced Thornton AND Marleau for a third round pick!

But it's also a good trade for San Jose as they got a potentially promising young power forward for *only* a third round draft pick.  So from their perspecitve, this should be considered a good trade too.

agreed.  this wasn't a trade anyone "won".  san jose gets a guy they can rely on to give them fairly safe minutes when needed, and the flyers remove one contract from their reserve list and pick up a 10% chance of drafting an extra NHL player next year.  isn't really win/win, but definitely isn't lose/lose.

agreed. this wasn't a trade anyone "won". san jose gets a guy they can rely on to give them fairly safe minutes when needed, and the flyers remove one contract from their reserve list and pick up a 10% chance of drafting an extra NHL player next year. isn't really win/win, but definitely isn't lose/lose.

I don't know... His lack of skating on the forecheck and backcheck in the west could be detrimental. He floats a lot on the ice which is why I never really liked him... He does not have the speed to regain the zone on the backcheck...

Edited by murraycraven

No, it won't hurt you at all.

People in this thread are saying the Flyers did well in this trade as they got the third pround pick.  OK, I won't argue.  But it's also a good trade for San Jose as they got a potentially promising young power forward for *only* a third round draft pick.  So from their perspecitve, this should be considered a good trade too.

You know, he is actually the type of player you might use your 3rd round pick in the draft on, huh?   Most of the scouting reports on him (after he was drafted.  like prospect reports, etc) weren't very glowing and pegged him as career AHLer.  At the time, it upset me because I was still in the "give the kid a shot!" camp.  But when he was up toward the end of the year I honestly couldn't stand him.  I focused on him quite a bit and he was painful to watch.   The "won't hurt you" comments are correct, but I don't think he's ultimately going to amount to much more than Don Nachbaur.

• Like 1

I commented on McGinn/Pick thread that I reallly didn't know much about him either, @J0e Th0rnton , so I tuned in here to see what was being said.

Doesn't sound like a ton of upside, but keep this in mind:

As was mentioned, he is still only 23 with good size AND don't you guys have his brother Jamie on your roster?

For whatever it's worth, maybe Tye will look forward to playing alongside his sibling and that alone could help elevate his game to NHL status.

Worth a 3rd rounder in a deep 2015 draft?

Probably not, but as you are very well aware, the Sharks are not looking at picks down the road....they want to win a Cup as soon as yesterday...... Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau aren't getting any younger, so live bodies that can help in any way, shape or form are what SJ probably wants....and McGuinn probably represents more potential right here, right now than a pick later on.

EDIT:

Ooops.

Did some checking on Jamie McGuinn after I posted...he has actually been long gone from San Jose...my bad.

Alllriighty then (in  my best Emily Litella of SNL fame voice) "That is different then....nevermind!"  :D

No we don't have Jamie......Dumbarse Wilson traded one of our fan favorites to Colorado for spare parts. We all liked Mcginn, and then he seriously did well in Colorado.

As for the Sharks wanting to win........Uh, TFG, you are kidding right? Wilson has publically stated he wants to go full rebuild and is adamant he is going rebuild. Thornton and Marleau were just given full 3 year no movement clauses before Wilson had a stroke due to the collapse and both flat out said they have no intentions of waiving.

Wilson literally has no way to rebuild since they will not waive their NMC's. Thus, he is trying to state that the kids will get all the PP time and offensive icetime now, the Sharks are not trying to win the cup now, and maybe they should waive if they want to win, because he is not going to go get help via trade or UFA necause they will steal developping young prospect Roster spots. He literally told people he is going to move the kids up to give them develoment time and try to force their development to NHL level early, even if it means losing a ton next season.

But of course, then he makes moves that make no sense(Resign Mike Brown. Sign Enforcer John Scott), who will steal developping prospect Roster spots.

But of course, then he makes moves that make no sense(Resign Mike Brown. Sign Enforcer John Scott), who will steal developping prospect Roster spots.

I take it he knows what he needs to do but still needs to sell tickets.

Joe hes a great call up. We def got the better end of the deal with the 3rd rounder but hes still a solid pick up for you guys.

He will probably be a better fit for your team then he was for ours. When he is called up he plays a solid game and is a good bridge gap for when a player gets injured and is on his way back to the ice.

Hell he probably will start and play on the 4th line for you guys, he will probably get more ice time with you guys then he did with us.

Decent shot, can play physical, bigger body which fits your teams style of build. Believe it or not from what I can remember when he was in the line up last year he had a couple of clutch goals for us correct me if im wrong guys.

Good luck for the both of you!