Tell me about Tye McGinn Flyer fans!

You know, he is actually the type of player you might use your 3rd round pick in the draft on, huh?   Most of the scouting reports on him (after he was drafted.  like prospect reports, etc) weren't very glowing and pegged him as career AHLer.  At the time, it upset me because I was still in the "give the kid a shot!" camp.  But when he was up toward the end of the year I honestly couldn't stand him.  I focused on him quite a bit and he was painful to watch.   The "won't hurt you" comments are correct, but I don't think he's ultimately going to amount to much more than Don Nachbaur.

I get the sentiment. Believe me, I do.  But to be fair, he has a whooping total of 36 games played in the NHL.  I agree, based on his performance in *just* these 36 games, he didn't impress. To claim otherwise would be stupid. But to already label him a bust or a career AHLer is early. I mean he may very well prove to be a bust, but we have seen a very negligible sample of him. Clearly, he has a lot of flaws to his game RIGHT NOW. 

You know as well as I do that very often in the NHL, it's that old "the right place and the right time" type of thing. Some players are late bloomers.  Some player develop over a longer period of time.  With some players all it takes is a right mentor/coach, and boom - suddenly it's almost like seing a different player.  Some players need certain linemates to be successful.

Again, he may be a long-term stiff in the NHL and eventually become a no-name, like so many others.  But my point is, we just don't know that yet.  Like Aziz said, considering what's been given up by each side, it isn't a lose/lose situation for both of the teams.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

I get the sentiment. Believe me, I do. But to be fair, he has a whooping total of 36 games played in the NHL. I agree, based on his performance in *just* these 36 games, he didn't impress. To claim otherwise would be stupid. But to already label him a bust or a career AHLer is early. I mean he may very well prove to be a bust, but we have seen a very negligible sample of him. Clearly, he has a lot of flaws to his game RIGHT NOW.

You know as well as I do that very often in the NHL, it's that old "the right place and the right time" type of thing. Some players are late bloomers. Some player develop over a longer period of time. With some players all it takes is a right mentor/coach, and boom - suddenly it's almost like seing a different player. Some players need certain linemates to be successful.

Again, he may be a long-term stiff in the NHL and eventually become a no-name, like so many others. But my point is, we just don't know that yet. Like Aziz said, considering what's been given up by each side, it isn't a lose/lose situation for both of the teams.

True, he could develop further. I didn't see a reason to believe, but I'm far from a pro. Fair point.

• Like 1

True, he could develop further. I didn't see a reason to believe, but I'm far from a pro. Fair point.

I'd like to recant everything I've previously said.   The Flyers just traded him for very little, so he will score 40 next year and the Cup clinching goal.

I liked Tye and when he played on the first line apparently Claude and Jake liked his game and said he gives them space and opens up more time to make plays. You can hopefully look it up on game time interviews when he was called up to play, when I think Hartnell went down with an injury. I believe when the whole team was struggling to score goals in the first 3 games, he was leading the team with goals scored in the first 3 or 5 games of the season. I think in the first two games he had 3 goals and led the team in goals and then the next day was sent back down, was pretty strange how that relationship was. A lot of posters though probably saw his game more than I, I just happen to catch his games where he was making a difference out there on the ice. I think he resembles a Shark swimming around then....Boom, splash, splash he does his damage on the opponent. Now when I watch a Sharks game I'll monitor his game here and there. He's got the gps tagged to his fin now, so I'll be tracking when I can.

J0e,

There was something I read but I can't find it now. A reporter asked a scout about McGinn. The scout had a less than gleaming opinion of him. Basically said he will never be a regular NHLer. What you see is what you get kind of player.

I'll keep looking for it but I'm pretty sure it was linked in a thread on this site.

He can be a good Johnny on the spot goal scorer. He didn't excel here as he didn't quite seem to figure out his role in the system and because the coaches are pretty focused on forwards focusing on defense and Ty tended to skate a bit slowly returning to his own end and off for changes.

A lot of people liked him and wanted more playing time for him.

Sometimes a change can do a player good and maybe new scenery and a new system will be more to his liking. He could be a decent offensive threat, it's just that our depth chart was too deep and our season so desperate to get him much more than 4th minutes. Put him on a top 3 line and I think you'll see him iron out some kinks.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if a team got 20-25 goals from him in a year or two. That's just me. Can't wait to see what everyone else wrote.

We gave you a third rounder for him.

What is he like?

I don't expect it, but given a couple of 82 game seasons, it wouldn't shock me.

...granted I think he'd probably be a minus-20 or 25 as well.

but I didn't think mentioning that would make him feel any better about his 3rd rounder.

If allowed to play 82 games a couple of years if a team like the sharks didn't find a way to make him work for them (they've done it in the past).

Holy smoke batman!   I do not see that at all...  

...granted I think he'd probably be a minus-20 or 25 as well.

that is the issue I always had with him as well.  He seems like he will go into the dirty areas to score goals but seems to be one dimensional in that respect.   For the Sharks sake I hope he turns into a nice player honestly...

J0e,

There was something I read but I can't find it now. A reporter asked a scout about McGinn. The scout had a less than gleaming opinion of him. Basically said he will never be a regular NHLer. What you see is what you get kind of player.

I'll keep looking for it but I'm pretty sure it was linked in a thread on this site.

J0e,

Found it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Running-the-Treadmill-VandeVelde-McGinn-Quick-Hits/45/56402

If so, it is not just the Flyers who hold that view. Before the Oct. 24 game against the Rangers, I offhandedly asked a pro scout from another NHL team if he thought McGinn was going to stick around and become an NHL regular. The player had recently scored three goals over a two-game stretch and was one of the few Flyers winning board battles and driving to the net.

The answer I got caught me off-guard. The scout was not too enamored of the player, despite the doses of success he's had when given the chance to dress for the Flyers.

"It's possible, sure," he said. "But he's one of those players who may not have a full-time role at this level."

I asked why not.

The scout said, "He is good on the walls but he's not someone you want out there against other teams' best lines. He's got OK size and he's a game kid, but he's not really going to be a regular scorer up here. He's still a below-average skater. He'll battle for you, though, and he goes to the net. He fights a little bit, but that's not going to be his role. There are players like him in most organizations. Some of those guys find ways to stay up here but more of them don't. So that's what he's up against."

The scout knew what he's talking about, because McGinn was returned to the AHL by the Flyers the very next day. Scott Hartnell had returned after an early-season injury. The club also wanted to take an extended look at Michael Raffl at the NHL level. The organization liked his skating and two-way upside (apparently more than they like what McGinn brings).

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@AlaskaFlyerFan  When I got my first look at McGinn, I saw *possible* power forward. That was just based on his size and ability to take the puck hard to the net. I was initially enamoured, until became apparent his lack of speed would deter being a regular scoring force. From the moment I realized how slow his first few strides are, I immediately labeled him a *tweener*. Not talented enough to be in the top 6, but not fast enough to cover the jitterbug types on a defensive line.

I think a 3rd was a tad of an overpayment by the Sharks, but considering 2% of these 3rd rounders ever see the light of day at an NHL rink, at least the Sharks are getting someone who can at *least* play in the league, so not a total rip off. We hear it over and over again, how deep this upcoming draft is in 2015. By deep, I kinda think it's meant that once you get to the end of the first round, the players at 25 to 45 are interchangeable. At least that's how I've come to think about the upcoming draft. So, any assets you an acquire for this draft is obviously a great move.

Best case scenario, the Flyers use their first rounder, but target a player they also really like in the early to mid 2nd. They can use one or both of their 3rd rounders to leapfrog 10-13 picks.... essentially, getting another (late) first rounder....a bit like the Hagg scenario last year, but hopefully even more of an impact player in this very deep draft. Hopefully Hexy keeps this up, and puts the team in a fantastic spot moving forward. I suspect opposing GM's will be very reluctant to let 1-2-3rds....damn, even 4th's might be worth their weight in gold, who knows? When the playoff races heat up, and teams suffer injuries, you *know* other GM's will demand picks from 15...so GM's will eventually part with these picks, it might just take more time than normal. Playoff races will inevitably force some hands....than God Homer is not at the helm!!

there was a lot of talk about how f'd up it was McGinn got sent down when he was the leading scorer on the team last year, however, 2 of his 3 goals bounced off him and into the net,  the positive being he was in front of the net "creating space" . the reality was, he showed nothing on the ice that made anyone think he was an answer.  He didn't have any speed, he had fair hands, he could receive a pass but nothing spectacular, no handle I guess hockey guys call it "dangle".  

I think the consensus on him is he's a call up or a guy that spends a fair amount of time in the press box...

he does compete when he's on the ice but i don't think he has the talent to be top 6 and he's way too slow for another role.

i think @aziz hit the nail on the head when he said the trade hurt no one.

A guy who has the right build but is lacking the finer points.  Good news for the Sharks is that he's young enough that he could still surprise some people. Young guy gets a shot with a new organization, Flyers get a higher pick than most would have expected. Godd news all around.

• Like 1