Is Rutherford done?

B21

So putting the cheeky events of the last few days behind us....is Rutherford done?  Here's what our line-up looks like at the moment (understanding that Johnston may have different line combinations and defence pairings in mind):

Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis

Hornqvist/Malkin/Bennett

Spaling/Sutter/Comeau

Adams/Goc/Downie

???

Letang/Martin

Maatta/Erhoff

Depres/Scuderi/Bortuzzo

Fleury

Greiss/Zatkoff

I still think we need a 2nd/3rd line winger with some scoring touch.  Figure we'll have about $2-$3 million in cap space after Sutter and Spaling are locked up (both qualified - Sutter at $2.7 million and Spaling at $1.5 million).

Some F/A in that range that are still out there....Setoguchi? Bring back Stempniak? Try for Alfredsson on a one-year deal (long shot but he's still out there)?

Not for the moment.  He needs to see what happens with the qualifying offers to Despres, Megna, Spalling and Sutter first.

He does need to make a decision on Martin and Fleury NOW.   Either they are a part of the plan past this year, or start to put together the package to get something from them instead of simply losing them in free agency next year.   If you are going to go another direction in goal, let's pull the trigger now, get what we can, and gain experience with whomever is next in line.

Not for the moment.  He needs to see what happens with the qualifying offers to Despres, Megna, Spalling and Sutter first.

He does need to make a decision on Martin and Fleury NOW.   Either they are a part of the plan past this year, or start to put together the package to get something from them instead of simply losing them in free agency next year.   If you are going to go another direction in goal, let's pull the trigger now, get what we can, and gain experience with whomever is next in line.

I have a feeling we go into the season without them having new deals.  I think they are prepared to move on with Martin after this season.  He'll be 34 going into next season and will likely command at least a 3-4 year deal at $5,000,000 per year.  Too rich for my blood considering the pipeline of defense prospects we have on the cusp of the NHL.

Waiting on Fleury is win/win.  If he melts in the playoffs again I don't think they will want to bring him back.  If he has a strong post season I think they bring him back; I think he wants to come back.  The organization really stood behind him and I think he appreciates that at the end of the day.