Am I the Only One Worried about Goal?

Howie58

Greetings:

As we head into the pre-season and beyond the first thought that comes to mind is our goaltending. Not our D (we know it is slow and creaky), but goaltending. Why?

1) Do we know that Mason's "renaissance" is the real deal or a one-season replay of Columbus?  I like the guy and would like to think he has turned a corner. But we need some confirmation.

2) If Mason doesn't "work" or is injured--is Emery capable of a long-stretch?  Heck, his lateral mobility will be targeted by any opposition in any single game.

3) Can we look to ZeppArz or whomever to bail us out?

I was really hoping we'd get a Greis or Lindback into the fold.  Homer's long-term deal for Mason has to work out in the short-term; I don't see much else on the horizon.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

@Howie58

If Mason isn't the real deal we're back to square one...you know, lousy goaltending for another 25 years. :huh:

There's no way Emery can be a #1. He's got the heart, but his body just can't cut it anymore.

I don't know anything about Zepp. And Stolarz' last two playoffs have me doubting his ability to handle pressure.

• Like 3

I could say that ultimately, this reflect our "center-centric" development model.  It's as if we want more Bobby Clarkes and don't care about the Bladons or Parents.  Come to think of it...Parent and Favell were from the Boston organization...OK but that is expansion.....we drafted D the last two years...and even Hexy complained we didn't draft a goalie.

Seriouly--other than Boosh...who have we developed in goal over the last 15 years other than Bobo?  I draw a blank.

Seriouly--other than Boosh...who have we developed in goal over the last 15 years other than Bobo?  I draw a blank.

Nittymaki is all i can think of but a bad hip ended his career premature though.....but none other than Boosh!

And they didn't even draft any is what surprised me most.....maybe an under the radar signing will happen later.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I hope Bertmega is right and that Mason is OK.  Even so, backup can't be taken lightly. 

Penn Central asks about a goalie controversy...yeah, it isn't the incumbent, it's an organization that doesn't grow this position very well. 

Howie

Greetings:

As we head into the pre-season and beyond the first thought that comes to mind is our goaltending. Not our D (we know it is slow and creaky), but goaltending. Why?

1) Do we know that Mason's "renaissance" is the real deal or a one-season replay of Columbus?  I like the guy and would like to think he has turned a corner. But we need some confirmation.

2) If Mason doesn't "work" or is injured--is Emery capable of a long-stretch?  Heck, his lateral mobility will be targeted by any opposition in any single game.

I was really hoping we'd get a Greis or Lindback into the fold.  Homer's long-term deal for Mason has to work out in the short-term; I don't see much else on the horizon.

Best,

Howie

1) He's been great since coming to Philly minus a month stretch last year where he wasn't playing his best (neither was the team in front of him though).  The sample size is slightly more than one season.   Bryz had a larger sample size of relative success in ANA and PHX and he was ran out of town.   There are no guarantees either way.   This is a tough market on the goaltender and Mason appears to handle the media and the pressure quite well.

2) No Emery won't be capable of a long stretch.   That would be more concerning if this team was really a contender.   Right now they are still developing their youth and need to fix issues on defense.   If Mason goes down this team as constructed isn't going anywhere anyway and missing the playoffs would mean a better draft pick.   The "we have to make the playoffs at all cost" mentality is one of the major reasons the Flyers haven't won a cup since 75. 

3)Zepp is nothing more than a backup for Stolarz in the AHL and Stolarz is not ready for the NHL.  

1) He's been great since coming to Philly minus a month stretch last year where he wasn't playing his best (neither was the team in front of him though).  The sample size is slightly more than one season.   Bryz had a larger sample size of relative success in ANA and PHX and he was ran out of town.   There are no guarantees either way.   This is a tough market on the goaltender and Mason appears to handle the media and the pressure quite well.

2) No Emery won't be capable of a long stretch.   That would be more concerning if this team was really a contender.   Right now they are still developing their youth and need to fix issues on defense.   If Mason goes down this team as constructed isn't going anywhere anyway and missing the playoffs would mean a better draft pick.   The "we have to make the playoffs at all cost" mentality is one of the major reasons the Flyers haven't won a cup since 75. 

3)Zepp is nothing more than a backup for Stolarz in the AHL and Stolarz is not ready for the NHL.  

Phils Fan:

We see eye-to-eye and you are correct...no guarantees. I hope Mason is consistent and goes uninjured for most of the year. There is not much in the cupboard. 

Howie

Phils Fan:

We see eye-to-eye and you are correct...no guarantees. I hope Mason is consistent and goes uninjured for most of the year. There is not much in the cupboard. 

Howie

I expect another solid year from Mason honestly and think he will be fine.   To say he played will in front of our slop defense is an understatement.  He will be fine...

• Like 1

-This wasn't mason's renaissance. It was his resurgence. He was a Calder trophy winner no? He lost his mojo and he got it back through coaching and discipline. I think we can feel decently about that.

-if Mason goes down, you're right. The team didn't cover themselves with someone who will step into the limelight and be an amazing force of nature out of the blue. We know what we've got with Wmery which by the way wasn't bad.

If offenses know lateral movement is his weakness the so should our D and Berube and they'll have to compensate.

-Homers long term deal isn't that long. If we continues doing well we'll have to pay him a bunch in a few years.

-By his own admission Hexy's hands were tied early trying to get someone else (I assume a wing or a D man) but that was thwarted by the lack of a VLC deal... and quite frankly I's rather have gotten a LW or a d man than a Better backup. All three would have been super, but Homer's a moron so there you go.

Greetings:

1) Do we know that Mason's "renaissance" is the real deal or a one-season replay of Columbus? I like the guy and would like to think he has turned a corner. But we need some confirmation.

2) If Mason doesn't "work" or is injured--is Emery capable of a long-stretch? Heck, his lateral mobility will be targeted by any opposition in any single game.

I was really hoping we'd get a Greis or Lindback into the fold. Homer's long-term deal for Mason has to work out in the short-term; I don't see much else on the horizon.

Best,

Howie

Side question for everyone. If the Effin cheap ass penguins don't injure Mason at the end of the year, do we beat the rangers in 7 instead of the other way around?

Mason doesn't score goals, so no.

• Like 2

But to that point, I guess I'm wondering if Berube even changes their system-plan with Mason in net?

Nope. Back checking is important regardless of who is in net. Shooters just need to finish.

• Like 1

Knut and Colleagues:

I really hope Mason is the real deal. And I hope Emery is still workable.  But just as Reagan told us to "trust but verify," I will wait until Turkey Day to see if Mason is the real deal...or if Emery can survive another year.  I thought he looked wasted against the Rangers.

Peace,

Howie

Greetings:

Best,

Howie

1) This is the big question and considering the history of goalies in this org, its certainly a worry but....I dunno.....just a gut feeling, I dont see him regressing.  Those columbus teams he was on in his early years were HORRIBLE. And he was asked to do far too much, far too soon.  But if he doesnt work out, at least he isnt signed for the better part of a decade like Bryz was.

2) No I dont think Emery could really handle a full schedule, but he was the best of the available backups IMO, has been a starter before, so who knows. As long as his wires dont get crossed and he goes rogue and tries to punchify an opponents face, he would be somewhat serviceable.  But losing mason would be a huge blow.

3) I dont think any of the prospects are anywhere near ready, but you never know.

Its Flyers. Im always worried about goal :D Rendevou if Mason choke this season. We are a team that gambles and tries different goalies every or two year. Looking at our history late 90's and the 2000 i guess Mason is about to choke soon so we can change again.

Something Else no one is talking about much is the fact that Rayzor and Mason have a really strong report, the work together, coach each other, challenge each other and support each other and having Emery around is probably making Mase better.

He knows he's the backup so it's not a stressful competition or goalie controversy. Just a good tandem.

Which isn't to say I think it was beyond a doubt the best choice, but he's not a terrible one either.

1) This is the big question and considering the history of goalies in this org, its certainly a worry but....I dunno.....just a gut feeling, I dont see him regressing. Those columbus teams he was on in his early years were HORRIBLE. And he was asked to do far too much, far too soon. But if he doesnt work out, at least he isnt signed for the better part of a decade like Bryz was.

2) No I dont think Emery could really handle a full schedule, but he was the best of the available backups IMO, has been a starter before, so who knows. As long as his wires dont get crossed and he goes rogue and tries to punchify an opponents face, he would be somewhat serviceable. But losing mason would be a huge blow.

3) I dont think any of the prospects are anywhere near ready, but you never know.