Gionta happy to play for his childhood team

Buffalo Rick

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725250&navid=nhl:topheads

I never thought Brian Gionta woudl ever land here.  I actually thought there was a better chance Patrick Kane might have as he too was a Sabres fan growing up in the area.  Gorges who I will admit I did not care for when he wore the Montreal jersey, is now buying into coming here.  I do not know how good he really is. Gionta I know is a very good veteran player that can do damage if he has the right guys around him.  Perhaps Matt Moulson is that guy?  I expect Tyler Ennis and Tyler Myers to both be more developed and battle tested.  Murray has started to builld the pieces and has already made sure there is reason to buy a ticket.  Now we have two kids that look like they may become very good NHL players in Reinhart and Lemeiax.  I am sure having Claude as a father gives you a little jump to your step.  I would not want to have to face him if I did not at least give 100 percent on the ice.  I am still wondering if Enroth or Nirvirth (the kid from Washington) or Hackett (who I believe is still in the organization?) will be the starter or if Ted will trade off the duties until one of them earns the position.  Technically its Enroth's to lose, but I am not so sure its written in stone he is the guy.  When you lose a guy like Miller, and Hasek is in the history books, you have to look for the next sensational goalie that will come along.  It is believed Marty Broduer will land maybe in Boston?  And a  few other teams have been mentioned.  Buffalo is not on the list.  I love Marty as a person and a player, but I do not want him here at this stage of the game.  Not unless he went out of his way to come.  And that is not happening.  He did play in the first ever NHL regular season game played in /Rochester.  The Sabres took a good hit at the windows to allow that game to be played here.  And of course I WAS THERE.  Don Cherry was there.  He flew in for that special night.  It wound up a  2-2 tie Miller  vs Broduer.   In a building that only seats 10,000 and change and maybe another thousand with stage seating.  It was a night to remember.   An NHL game in an AHL building.  And it counted.  Well its good to hear Brian Gionta say he is excited to come here and that otheres are as well.  They like what the Sabres are doing and believe in Murray and the direction Pegula and the team are going in.  I agree.  Though I will  admit its sad to see guys go that you cheered for for so long.  Vanek, Miller, Roy, Pommenville especially.  I wish them all  well. They are all in the Western conference and strangely will be doing battle in some tough situations.  Minnesota, St Louis, Vancouver are all contenders.  And now there is word the Blackhawks may have to unload a star player to make cap room.  Well I was wondering when that would happen.  Welcome aboard Brian.  and GO SABRES

• 3 months later...

Brian Gionta is a class act on and off the ice. He was a guest instructor at a summer camp that my son attended here in Rochester 4 years ago. After learning my son was new to skating and the game of hockey, he asked me if I would mind if he worked privately with my son a few more times over the summer. He followed through and actually gave my son 3 privately lessons at no cost plus signed a bunch of stuff and posed for several pictures which my son proudly displays.

I hate the Sabres, but I think they made a great choice bringing him "home" to mentor some of there young talent.

Gorges rocks, for the record.

The Sabres may have improved just enough to be out of the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes. Then again, so did the Isles.

Calgary got better in goal, but worse up front. Ottawa just got worse period. Edmonton stagnated into more of the same. As did the Jets

Gorges rocks, for the record.

The Sabres may have improved just enough to be out of the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes. Then again, so did the Isles.

Calgary got better in goal, but worse up front. Ottawa just got worse period. Edmonton stagnated into more of the same. As did the Jets

Oh I would not count us out of the sweepstakes at all.   As for Samifan above, why would you hate the Sabres?  For knocking you guys out in 99?

@Junkie- As I have said multiple times over the years, I hate the Sabres because I live in Rochester and I have been subjected to verbal abuse for years because I dare to cheer for a Sports team other than the Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres. Often times the abuse doesnt even happen at a hockey rink (which I am at alot since my 13 year old plays on two teams). I have been screamed at at gas stations, shopping malls and while grocery shopping. I became tiresome years ago. I have also had season tickets to the Amerks for years and when they rejoined the Sabres a few years ago thanks to Terry "The Monopoly Guy"  Pegula buying both teams someone from the front office had the nerve to ask me not to wear any Flyers gear at the games. Yes, Buffalo has passionate sports fans much like every other city I get it, but just because I live 70 miles from HSBC arena does not mean I have to Love the Buffalo Sabres.

Archived