Sanheim compared to McDonagh; 2014 draft gets an 'A'

brelic

I played div 1 (colorado college) and it was the same. I won't say it was easy and that the program did not want to push the kids to be the best, but they certainly had all players best interest at heart. Say what you want about NCAA, but its not the red headed step child to amateur hockey / chl it used to be. 

I wholeheartedly agree. While there is bad NCAA teams, just like there is very crappy CHL teams, for the most part, they are both excellent choices for a player to grow and evolve. The US National program is stealing all the stars though, they are just as big of a threat as the CHL is now....stealing players from major programs left and right.

The US National program is stealing all the stars though, they are just as big of a threat as the CHL is now....stealing players from major programs left and right.

Agreed. Its interesting to see the origin of programs players are getting drafted these days. In my hey day (dating myself), maybe 2 or 30 made the first round. Not so now. 

That said, (not directed at you), hockey development in the US has taken ahold (I am not sure its by bettemans doing as much as the Sniders of the world), but the US is 10 x the size in population as the us (guessing- but I know its somewhere near that). And while hockey is "candadas game", not all kids want to play it or can afford it. 

You see a player like Ghost emerge that plays for a SMALL collegiate hockey program and demonstrate that level of skill and you know that the tables are getting leveled out (as a side note, I think his teammate got signed by an NHL team as well). 

My biggest dis and its a double edge sword is games played. In major juniors, they play 2x the games as NCAA. Yet, at the same time, the NCAA is educating the players. Its kind of important. Lets say that 10% of each program make to some pro level to sustain a living. That leaves 90% holding a bag with nothing to do. In the NCAA, the player holds a degree (for whatever its worth). 

For me, while my degree was not my calling, it meant a ton as it opened a door. 

@Vanflyer  All CHL teams offer a full scholarship as well, just the schools are generally not close to their NCAA counterparts. You would much rather have a degree from a Big 10 school than the University of Windsor....but at least the CHL does their part and realizes only a select few make careers out of hockey.

All CHL teams offer a full scholarship as well, just the schools are generally not close to their NCAA counterparts. You would much rather have a degree from a Big 10 school than the University of Windsor....but at least the CHL does their part and realizes only a select few make careers out of hockey.

I did not know that. So, how does that work with all the games they play- I mean do they really attend classes or is it commensurate type of enticement?  I mean zero insult, I just know that the reason the NCAA schedule is so light in games is because they really (sort of) want the players to get an education (but there are strict guidelines on players grades and such: see NCAA basketball and NCAA football). 

@Vanflyer  The OHL games are set up so 80% of the games occur on the weekend. You never see an OHL team inactive on a weekend. Even the practice schedule is built around school...usually after 4 or 5pm to make sure school is over. The Spits traditionally have their home game on Thursday nights, which must get in the way a bit, but at least it's towards the end of the week, with only one day of school left the following day.

. The Spits traditionally have their home game on Thursday nights, which must get in the way a bit, but at least it's towards the end of the week, with only one day of school left the following day.

Thats good to know. 

That said, (not directed at you), hockey development in the US has taken ahold (I am not sure its by bettemans doing as much as the Sniders of the world), but the US is 10 x the size in population as the us (guessing- but I know its somewhere near that). And while hockey is "candadas game", not all kids want to play it or can afford it. 

You see a player like Ghost emerge that plays for a SMALL collegiate hockey program and demonstrate that level of skill and you know that the tables are getting leveled out (as a side note, I think his teammate got signed by an NHL team as well). 

I would say in another 20 years, it will be America's game. They had their best-ever showing at the draft this year, and it's only a matter of time until the number of Americans drafted surpasses Canadians.

They had their best-ever showing at the draft this year, and it's only a matter of time until the number of Americans drafted surpasses Canadians.

\

by development and population. So does that mean bettmen won? Right now its a 2-1. But many can see a 2-2 happening. 

Do you have a link to the D- rating?

I think it was an ESPN review but I can't find on my phone, so it was either moved to their subscriber section or I'm confusing it with last year's CBS ratings. I'll have to add it to my list of things guys want me to search for when I get some days off. I read a few... SB nation (B+), bleacher report (C+), LWOS (B), CBS, TSN, ESPN, THN....when I was trying to learn about Kapanen.

It might be this one. I can't tell on my iPhone.

http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId=11149133

My point is the ratings are so diverse for every club depending on who you read.

Edited by Polaris922

I would say in another 20 years, it will be America's game. They had their best-ever showing at the draft this year, and it's only a matter of time until the number of Americans drafted surpasses Canadians.

Reported.

@brelic

LOL.

Finally a lacrosse reference, Canada's true national sport.

I was an average lacrosse player, but good enough to make Team Manitoba. I tore my ACL all to hell playing in the Summer Games in your neck of the woods (St. John, 1984) 

Edited by Podein25

@brelic

LOL.

Finally a lacrosse reference, Canada's true national sport.

I was an average lacrosse player, but good enough to make Team Manitoba. I tore my ACL all to hell playing in the Summer Games in your neck of the woods (St. John, 1984) 

Oh no! Sounds painful! Did you play lacrosse for many years? I'm assuming you did if you made it to the provincial level!

People think lacrosse isn't violent, but man, it's super rough!

@brelic

Yeah played since I was 5. The Games (that injury) ended my lacrosse career and pretty much my hockey career.

It is violent (whoever says it isn't must be referring to Field Lacrosse, which is lame) - most of my major sports injuries were in lacrosse rather than hockey.

It would be interesting to put a list together of NHL players who were lacrosse players since there were quite a few good ones - Nieuwendyk and Shanahan are the two that come first to mind, but there were lots others, mostly guys from Ontario and BC I imagine.

Edited by Podein25

It would be interesting to put a list together of NHL players who were lacrosse players since there were quite a few good ones - Nieuwendyk and Shanahan are the two that come first to mind, but there were lots others, mostly guys from Ontario and BC I imagine.

Sean Couturier 

Corey Perry

there's two pretty good hockey players

@brelic

Yeah played since I was 5. The Games (that injury) ended my lacrosse career and pretty much my hockey career.

It is violent (whoever says it isn't must be referring to Field Lacrosse, which is lame) - most of my major sports injuries were in lacrosse rather than hockey.

Doug Favell was a good lacrosse player. After he retired from hockey he played lacrosse for the Philadelphia Wings.

Doug Favell was a good lacrosse player. After he retired from hockey he played lacrosse for the Philadelphia Wings.

I remember going to see them at the Spectrum (the old Wings before the current 90's reincarnation), I thought Doug was playing both hockey and lacrosse at the same time, maybe lacrosseseason was in summer....but honestly I can't be sure.....Imma see what the interwebs have to say about it....

Edit:

Looks like he did in fact play for the Wings in 1974:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Wings_%281974%E2%80%9375%29

Edited by sarsippius

I remember going to see them at the Spectrum (the old Wings before the current 90's reincarnation), I thought Doug was playing both hockey and lacrosse at the same time, maybe lacrosseseason was in summer....but honestly I can't be sure.....Imma see what the interwebs have to say about it....

Edit:

Looks like he did in fact play for the Wings in 1974:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Wings_(1974–75)

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. I had season tickets to the Wings then and I remember seeing him play.