Kane and Toews sign new contracts - 8 years, $10.5M/year

brelic

Kane and Toews  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are Kane and Toews worth $10.5M per year each?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's not that simple!

Wow! Talk about a pay day!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456795

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane to eight-year contract extensions, each worth an average annual value of $10.5 million.

Toews and Kane each had one year remaining on their previous contracts. They both signed identical five-year $31.5 million contracts prior to the 2010-11 season.

In 76 games with the Blackhawks this season, Toews scored 28 goals and added 40 assists. He scored nine goals and 17 points in 19 playoff games.

Kane scored 29 goals and added 40 assists in 69 games. He added eight goals and 20 points in 19 playoff games.

Toews was drafted third overall in the 2006 Draft by the Blackhawks. Kane was drafted first overall in the 2007 Draft.

Toews was named the 34th captain in Blackhawks history prior to the 2008-09 season.

while they are in the top 10% of players in the league and should be paid accordingly. the league is screwing themselves yet again by handing out contracts like this..I know the 50% split BS  .. but once again there will be a lockout due to fiscal sanity. you can bank on that 

• Like 1

while they are in the top 10% of players in the league and should be paid accordingly. the league is screwing themselves yet again by handing out contracts like this..I know the 50% split BS  .. but once again there will be a lockout due to fiscal sanity. you can bank on that 

well put Irish.....Did no one learn from the last time.  I swear with the recent FA signing's this past week, it seems that owners are turning a blind eye once again.  Not going to deny that both Kane and Toews are in top 5 player league, but it is this financial irresponsibilty that caused the last lockout.  I thought there was supposed to be some type of cap limit?  Maybe I misread or misheard that ..not sure. 

I have one word....... Madness!

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor

If Cap is $75 million in 2015/2016 then Toews/Kane will eat up 28% of Hawks' available salary. #NHL

that is insane.......

like @samifan said in shoutbox..bye..bye Sharp

Edited by pilldoc

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor

If Cap is $75 million in 2015/2016 then Toews/Kane will eat up 28% of Hawks' available salary. #NHL

that is insane.......

like @Samifan said in shoutbox..bye..bye Sharp

Wow, 30% of your cap for 2 players?

They are mighty fine players, mind you. I wouldn't consider either of them top 5 or even top 10 in the league - but together, they're easily a top 3 duo in the league along with Getzlaf and Perry.

It sure is a damn shame that Toews and Kane put guns to the Blackhawks heads so they would make stupid money...... :confused[1]:  Where are Bettman/Jacobs and the rest of their stop the insanity posse on this? "We really, really, really, REALLY mean we will be fiscally responsible this time........."

Toews I would put top 5, Kane probably around #10.  Regardless...here is how it breaks down ....like @jkearse123 said...

$31.8 if you include keith. $31.8 for kane, toews, keith and hossa til 2021 then add another 6 million for Crawford. 

that is 37 milion for 5 players.  or 5 players = about 50% of your cap.  Insane...insane...insane

or more like....

Stupid...stupid...stupid.....

Edited by pilldoc

well put Irish.....Did no one learn from the last time.  I swear with the recent FA signing's this past week, it seems that owners are turning a blind eye once again.  Not going to deny that both Kane and Toews are in top 5 player league, but it is this financial irresponsibilty that caused the last lockout.  I thought there was supposed to be some type of cap limit?  Maybe I misread or misheard that ..not sure. 

I have one word....... Madness!

also pill the owners have an insurance policy where NBC still pays the league even if there are no games. i calculated the last lockout each team got something like 8mil each for doing nothing. so they can sit back and wait out while the players sweat

Toews I would put top 5, Kane probably around #10.  Regardless...here is how it breaks down ....like @jkearse123 said...

$31.8 if you include keith. $31.8 for kane, toews, keith and hossa til 2021 then add another 6 million for Crawford. 

that is 37 milion for 5 players.  or 5 players = about 50% of your cap.  Insane...insane...insane

or more like....

Stupid...stupid...stupid.....

It is going to be tough for them to put a complete team on the ice sooner or later.

I hope they draft really well.

The owners really do have a tough time controlling themselves.  On one hand I suppose it's a sign of genuine competition and a desire to aquire/keep the best players. On the other hand the owners need to either stop paying out these big contracts or stop shutting the game down everytime the CBA runs out.

Good for Kane and Toews they're two of the better players of this generation but the Hawks wouldn't be the same team minus Hossa and Sharp and these deals will make it tough to aquire and retain those types of players.

Wow. Huge contracts.

I guess that's the price on today's market, though. I will say I thought the Leafs' signing of Kessel for $8 million was pretty expensive...now though, I may have to re-consider that opinion.

In the meantime, Chicago did secure their two best players long term...so there is that.

I can't imagine Chicago's depth can hold out when those contracts kick in.

Well, at this point, they are saying "We have already won twice, now we are getting paid. To hell with being able to afford anyone else"

That's how I imagine it. I mean, I wouldn't put it so ego-centric as your hypothetical quote would suggest, but yeah. Perhaps along the lines of "We brought 2 Stanley Cups to this city. We brought respectability and pride back to this organization. We would like 8-year contracts each that recognize our accomplishments and our commitment to the Hawks. We will give everything we have to this team."

That's how I imagine it. I mean, I wouldn't put it so ego-centric as your hypothetical quote would suggest, but yeah. Perhaps along the lines of "We brought 2 Stanley Cups to this city. We brought respectability and pride back to this organization. We would like 8-year contracts each that recognize our accomplishments and our commitment to the Hawks. We will give everything we have to this team."

I suspect they teamed up on them with it as well.

In the sense that both would make the same demands and only agree to sign if both were signed. I doubt the Hawks had a choice of signing only 1 of them. They threw the gauntlet down.

The thing that made Chicago's offense special was the top 6, no matter how you interchanged it was impossible to defend against with just one elite checking line. Inevitably, that will no longer be the case. The guys like Hossa and Sharp, they will have to go, and once again, Towes and Kane will be on one single line which will be fed an onslaught of top elite checkers. These guys may have got paid, but they have made it almost impossible to keep the offensive depth they currently have. They had better hope they draft well, cause the guys that they draft in the next couple years will be the 2nd and 3rd lines eventually. How do they even keep the defense intact with this madness? 

No matter how great these 2 are...they are only 2 players, they will be checked...and CHEAP SHOTTED into the ground, er ice. Teams will know, hurt one of the two and Chicago will be out of the playoffs. This does not make much sense.

Kinda makes me feel a LOT better about the Giroux contract. They should have traded these two for quality players and picks and just move on.

• Like 2

The thing that made Chicago's offense special was the top 6, no matter how you interchanged it was impossible to defend against with just one elite checking line. Inevitably, that will no longer be the case. The guys like Hossa and Sharp, they will have to go, and once again, Towes and Kane will be on one single line which will be fed an onslaught of top elite checkers. These guys may have got paid, but they have made it almost impossible to keep the offensive depth they currently have. They had better hope they draft well, cause the guys that they draft in the next couple years will be the 2nd and 3rd lines eventually. How do they even keep the defense intact with this madness? 

As it stands now, they only have $3M in cap room next year with 15 guys signed. They have to somehow fit another 7 guys on the roster with the $3M? I can't see that happening. You're right, they're gonna have to shed some salary, and guys like Hossa and Sharp (probably one but not both) will be casualties.

@brelic   The pending trade of Sharp and or Hossa will be of the utmost importance to the Hawks moving forward. They will have to take picks, not players and hope and pray whoever they select will be ready to contribute before Towes and Kane are out of their primes. At least that's the way I see it shaping up. Even if they got lucky...made a deal with whoever and end up with McDavid....how do they keep him in the fold after 3 years?  This is crazy.

Here is some outside the box thinking....trade Sharp to Carolina, they get their next 2 first round picks, 1 major prospect AND the rights to Khodobin. You play Crawford and Khodobin equally, if Khodobin plays the best (I think he's better) then trade Crawford for another 1st round pick. You then find a way to free up another 6 mill in cap space while upgrading the goaltending position and you suddenly have 4 first round picks in the next draft. You trade 3 of the 4, Hossa and another top notch prospect for the rights to the 1st overall pick. You then select McDavid. Sound reasonable?

Here is some outside the box thinking....trade Sharp to Carolina, they get their next 2 first round picks, 1 major prospect AND the rights to Khodobin. You play Crawford and Khodobin equally, if Khodobin plays the best (I think he's better) then trade Crawford for another 1st round pick. You then find a way to free up another 6 mill in cap space while upgrading the goaltending position and you suddenly have 4 first round picks in the next draft. You trade 3 of the 4, Hossa and another top notch prospect for the rights to the 1st overall pick. You then select McDavid. Sound reasonable?

Haha, very outside the box ;) I'm not sure Sharp is worth two 1st rounders. He's put up strong numbers, but take him away from the Hawks and consider that he's 32 - I'm doubtful you'd ever see that kind of production from Sharp again.

No matter how great these 2 are...they are only 2 players, they will be checked...and CHEAP SHOTTED into the ground, er ice. Teams will know, hurt one of the two and Chicago will be out of the playoffs. This does not make much sense.

Kinda makes me feel a LOT better about the Giroux contract. They should have traded these two for quality players and picks and just move on.

That it does.

But somehow I don't think trading Toews and Kane would have gone over well with the Hawks fanbase.

• Like 1

That it does.

But somehow I don't think trading Toews and Kane would have gone over well with the Hawks fanbase.

I'm starting to think having multiple elite players is more a curse than a blessing in a salary cap world.  Eventually, you have to pay them.  If you don't, someone else will. If you let them walk as a free agent (even if you improve the team using the cap space left behind) you'll be villified by the fan base and likely the local media...at least the uneducated members of your fan base (I say this because - for example - the "smart" Pens fan would understand why the Pens would trade a Malkin or Letang). 

If you trade them, you had better hit a home run on the return.  Craig Patrick whiffed when he dealt Jagr and that was the beginning of the Pens' demise that ultimately cost him his job.

Crosby and Giroux sure look like bargains now, eh?

• Like 1

I'm starting to think having multiple elite players is more a curse than a blessing in a salary cap world.  Eventually, you have to pay them.  If you don't, someone else will. If you let them walk as a free agent (even if you improve the team using the cap space left behind) you'll be villified by the fan base and likely the local media...at least the uneducated members of your fan base (I say this because - for example - the "smart" Pens fan would understand why the Pens would trade a Malkin or Letang). 

If you trade them, you had better hit a home run on the return.  Craig Patrick whiffed when he dealt Jagr and that was the beginning of the Pens' demise that ultimately cost him his job.

Crosby and Giroux sure look like bargains now, eh?

Crosby especially!

This is just a gut feeling, but I don't think either Kane or Toews even sniff $10.5M as individuals - in other words, I think it's the package that gives them more value than they have as individuals. Individually, they are worth no more than Giroux/Getzlaf money, and certainly not more than Crosby.

Believe it or not, Jagr ($11M) and others made more money than Kane/Toews on an annual basis - and that was 15 years ago in 1999-2000! So, as much as I have a tendency to see the salaries as inflated, that's some impressive cost control over a decade and a half.