Schneider signs long-term extension

MadDevil

7 years, $6 million cap hit. It kicks in starting in 2015-16, so he's actually signed for the next 8 years. So glad Lou was able to get this done early so we don't have to worry about him leaving next summer. I know there's some concern because he's never started 60+ games in a season, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Thank you to the Canucks by the way. Without their complete bungling of the Luongo/Schneider situation, Cory wouldn't be a Devil. I will always be grateful to Gillis for that trade.

Schneider is top 5 over the last 4 years in GAA and Save%. The only issue real issue is that he hasn't been a 60+ game starter yet. I think he's worth the money, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Agree, mad devil..I posted in the shoutbox, that he's never been a true #1, and had to deal with all that comes with that.  Additionally, he's never played more than 45 games in a season.  His numbers have been very good the last few years, but part of being a true #1 is dealing with the everyday "stuff"--travel, practice, back to back games, etc-- and still being able to put up those types of numbers.

Committing to 7 years for a player like that is risky, IMO.  Especially given the normally cost conscious Devils.  I don't have a problem with the money, more the term, in this case.  

Good for Schneider, good for the Devils.

No offense to sure fire HOF'er Martin Brodeur, but quite frankly, he was in the way at this point in Cory's career.

Now with the Luongo drama far in the rear view, Brodeur looking to extend his career elsewhere, Cory Schneider is at the right place, at the right time, at the right point in his career to start building himself a Vezina type season.

Now...if only the Devils can get some consistent scoring or develop some air tight defense like they used to, Schneider is gonna have many, many wins to show for his hard work getting to where he is.

His time is now.

True, as mentioned, he needs to prove he can be the everyday workhorse, but I see no reason to think he can't do that.

With the Metro division still being quite wide open, there is no reason why even just a competent NJ Devils squad backstopped by a guy like Schneider can't stake a claim to a top three guaranteed playoff spot.

Pens may have taken a step or two backwards, same with the Rangers...both need to re-prove themselves as top tier in the division, Flyers still sorting out their defense, Caps and Jackets (damn, sounds like a clothing store...lol) need to prove they are for real, and the Isles and Canes need to prove they even plan on competing.

Yea, NJ has a shot with some good play from the skaters and Schneider being undistracted and squarely in the undisputed number one slot for the team.

It was almost ludicrous how bad the Devils offense was when Schneider was in goal last year, and in general down the stretch. Outside of a brief stumble after the Olympic break, he was incredible from January on, once he really started to get more starts. Which is why I'm not worried about him being able to handle the workload. Tuuka Rask had never started more than 50 games until this past season. In fact they're actually pretty comparable if you look at the last few years. The difference is Rask has hardware to show for it.

fixed it for ya. cheers.

The first half of the year it was just bizarre how they would score 1 goal or less when Schneider was in goal, then score 3 or more when Brodeur was in net. Then after the Stadium Series disaster they couldn't score for either goalie. And I don't even want to talk about the shootout...

The first half of the year it was just bizarre how they would score 1 goal or less when Schneider was in goal, then score 3 or more when Brodeur was in net. Then after the Stadium Series disaster they couldn't score for either goalie. And I don't even want to talk about the shootout...
Agree With This

Truthfully, and with no disrespect, I did not pay attention. I was poking a bit of fun at the Devils and their tradition for not scoring (but being elite in defense).

Truthfully, and with no disrespect, I did not pay attention. I was poking a bit of fun at the Devils and their tradition for not scoring (but being elite in defense).

I know, and it is true. Devils fans have watched so many tight , low scoring games it's a miracle we haven't all been committed to mental institutions.

I'm 100% sold that Schneider is the real deal. I honestly believe if the Devils had waited longer, the market for him would have been so strong, they would have to pay a minimum of an extra million to get him signed up. That is factoring in the large raise in the cap coming up, and the fact he is a legit top 10 goalie who has not come close to peaking. When this guy is on, he is top 5 in the league.

I remember a wicked 3 week stretch in his last year in Vancouver, where he was virtually unbeatable. He had a string of 10 straight games where he allowed 1 goal or less.....and had 4 shutouts in that streak. That steak was ended when Taylor Hall went crazy and scored a hat-trick in the first 6 minutes against him. I remember it well cause Hall is one of my keepers and I had made moves the day earlier....and for the first time all season Hall was mistakenly on my bench....lol, that is how it usually goes!!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what ends up happening with Marty. It's pretty obvious the Devils don't want him back and if he can't accept being a backup there's really nowhere for him to go. His only real chance would be somebody going down in training camp with an injury and needing a veteran goalie. Quite honestly it's kind of painful watching him hold on like this.

So with Clemenson backing up Schneider, does Marty retire or move on to another team? If I were Vancouver or Ottawa; I'd be pressing hard for his services...

I don't know what ends up happening with Marty. It's pretty obvious the Devils don't want him back and if he can't accept being a backup there's really nowhere for him to go. His only real chance would be somebody going down in training camp with an injury and needing a veteran goalie. Quite honestly it's kind of painful watching him hold on like this.

Geeezus guys....even in his own thread, poor Cory Schneider can't have the spotlight all to himself...now this is turning into a MARtY BRODEUR THREAD!! :lol:

My thirty-nine cents on Brodeur:

Vancouver? Ottawa?

You know, if Brodeur really wanted to be a backup, he would keep his legacy "untainted", for lack of a better term, and just stay on the Devils, play his 20-25 games a year there, while helping along Schneider on the ins and outs of the various division rivals he knows oh-so-well.

But apparently, he DOESN'T want to be a backup, thinks he can still be a starter (I also realize he is trying to chase down or cement some records), but in Vancouver, with Ryan Miller being newly signed, that is exactly what he would be...a back up. Not to mention that Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom currently are under contract for more than just a single season.

In Ottawa you have Craig Anderson on his last year...and who knows if the Sens re-sign him, but at his best, he is quite good (injuries take their toll on him though), and the Sens JUST re-signed Robin Lehner to a new contract for three years.

I guess one could argue that Brodeur > Injury prone Craig and Brodeur > Lehner (though Robin has turned in some nice games)...but then, if you are Brodeur, you BEST be prepared to see LOTS of shots from the mostly porous Ottawa defense.

A far cry from the usual tight defense he is used to seeing in NJ, and if he is indeed trying to chase down some records, playing for a defensively challenged team like the Sens is NOT the way to go....

Crazy as it sounds, Brodeur's best bet to remain a starter and have a halfway decent team in front of him could be Winnipeg, as Pavelac there hasn't solidified anything, and the Jets don't have anyone (Michael Hutchinson?? Who knows??) that would significantly raise the quality of goal there.

And the Jets CAN be seen playing some decent to good defense on some nights, while still putting forth a somewhat respectable offensive effort...though they seem to lack 'finishers' there.

Only real glaring weakness in Winnipeg is the unreliable goaltending.

And if Mr. Brodeur thinks he can still be a number on in this league, the Jets may be inclined to give him a go.

One final thing on Brodeur, and I agree with @MadDevil on this....sad to see him try to 'hang on'. I've said it in other threads and in other forums: the man honestly has NOTHING left to prove, and he is HOF bound, guaran-dam-teed.  IMO, and in the opinion of many others, the longer he hangs around, the more he tarnishes what people will remember him as.

Ok, since this IS a Cory Schneider thread that got somewhat hi-jacked by Brodeur yet again, I will reiterate: ;)

Schneider should do well.

He knows he is "The Guy" now, and he will just keep doing what he always has, and that is play good goal.

Now all the Devils FO has to do is rebuild a very good defense around him, pick n choose the right sniper type players, and this franchise should be good enough to contend on most years.

Schneider is getting LOTS of money for a guy who has never proven himself as a starter for a full season. Frankly, I don't know if I would have done this deal until he gives you one season of 55-60 games in goal first. I believe in him, I think he is a top tier goalie or close to it, I am just saying I would have liked to see him actually do it first for a complete season before giving him that kind of money

@yave1964  I get what you are saying, but I think I've seen enough. When you have a talent like Schneids, you lock him up, no questions asked. Should be interesting to see where he falls in GGA and SV%, I'm betting top 10, just don't know how high. I expect a LOT of 2-1 and 3-2 games....and lots of shootouts.

Schneider is getting LOTS of money for a guy who has never proven himself as a starter for a full season. Frankly, I don't know if I would have done this deal until he gives you one season of 55-60 games in goal first. I believe in him, I think he is a top tier goalie or close to it, I am just saying I would have liked to see him actually do it first for a complete season before giving him that kind of money

Ideally, they would have gotten a 60+ start season from him, but they had to get him locked up this summer. They couldn't yet again have a situation of a key piece hitting free agency next summer. It's something that has happened far too often over the years with the Devils.

And I'm not that worried about him not being able to handle the load of a starter. He's put up some pretty consistent stats throughout his career. I don't see that falling off because of an extra 20 games per season.

@MadDevil  Yeah, agreed....the best case scenario would have been to get a peak at how he responds to a full season as the #1 guy. Like you said, they could not risk him going UFA, or having a wicked season and demanding a few mill more (a *very* real possibility). I suspect I think a lot like Lou in regards to Schneider, I think he will be even better with a bigger work load, he strikes me as the kind of goalie who gets in a groove when starting regularly, and that was not possible last year with the living legend backing him up.

@MadDevil  Yeah, agreed....the best case scenario would have been to get a peak at how he responds to a full season as the #1 guy. Like you said, they could not risk him going UFA, or having a wicked season and demanding a few mill more (a *very* real possibility). I suspect I think a lot like Lou in regards to Schneider, I think he will be even better with a bigger work load, he strikes me as the kind of goalie who gets in a groove when starting regularly, and that was not possible last year with the living legend backing him up.

Cory Schneider Snubbed From NHL 15's Top-50

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/Cory-Schneider-Snubbed-From-NHL-15s-Top-50/159/61726

EA Sports released their top-50 player ratings for NHL 15, and apparently they don't think very highly of Cory Schneider.

Of the 50 players in the top-50 (all rated 89 or higher), 11 of them are goaltenders. So, if Schneider is the best rated goaltender in NHL 15 that wasn't in the top-50, he's 12th. It's just a game and Schneider's rates can be altered (I will change them), but the general concept seems wrong.

Here's why: Schneider owns a .925SV% over his career, and has stopped pucks at a .928SV% clip since 2010. No goaltender has posted better numbers in that regard.

Couldn't post the chart check the link.

Listed are the goaltenders rated higher. As you'll see, Schneider's numbers are as good or better than anyone. Obviously the sample size isn't as large as some guys listed and I'm not suggesting he's the best goaltender in hockey, but his numbers certainly should have him as a top-11 goaltender. 

This isn't a huge deal, but in August there's not much else to talk about, and it's a bit of a slap in the face to Schneider considering he's posted elite numbers and isn't being recognized for it.

Wow....what a snub.

@OccamsRazor  I totally agree, Cory never gets the respect that is due to him. Things will change after he dominates again this year.

That is pretty much what it will take IMO, for Cory Schneider to finally silence all the critics:  He will need to carry his Devils team on his shoulders, just like Marty Brodeur did before him.

I really don't think people expect "Marty Brodeur" from Cory Schneider, but they DO expect a worthy successor with his own "way".....but yielding the same success his predecessor did.

Obviously, the rest of the team will have to be worthy as well, but I think that if Schneider does his part, even if the team struggles in other areas, his doubters will turn to believers in him.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread considering Cory is currently at a 2.19 GAA, and .927 SV%.

He had a rough October, but his stats have gotten better every month of the season so far. The numbers he's put up in the new year are just ridiculous. 

In 20 games played in 2015 he's 11-5-2 with a 1.69 GAA, .944 SV%, with 2 shutouts.

He could finish top 5 in GAA, SV%, and SO on a team that will likely be picking just outside the top 5 at the draft.

Lou, get this man some help!

Archived