Each NHL's team *new* top 6 forwards

jammer2

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I wonder what the over-under is on Johnson with points. If he gets the Stammer gig full time, he could put up 75-80 pts, even though its only his second year in the league. Playing top line and top pp unit would be huge for Johnson. Even if he does not get the Stamkos pairing, he would still be good for at least 60 pts IMHO....cause who ever he plays with, they will be quality forwards. It makes the most sense to pair him with Stamkos though, cause he is the most creative pivot they have....so it would be smart to play him where his creativity can evolve and prosper.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I wonder what the over-under is on Johnson with points. If he gets the Stammer gig full time, he could put up 75-80 pts, even though its only his second year in the league. Playing top line and top pp unit would be huge for Johnson. Even if he does not get the Stamkos pairing, he would still be good for at least 60 pts IMHO....cause who ever he plays with, they will be quality forwards. It makes the most sense to pair him with Stamkos though, cause he is the most creative pivot they have....so it would be smart to play him where his creativity can evolve and prosper.

Good question.

I think, like most young players who have a good full year with the big club, you worry about the "sophomore slump".

A few years ago, you look at a guy like the Isles' Michael Grabner, when he had that outstanding season, then hit that 'slump', and honestly, has not come close to replicating with any consistency that season where he had like 30+ goals and around 80 points.

But then, you look at Grabner's minors/juniors numbers, and you see that really, while his production was nice, it wasn't necessarily 'elite' level.

Going back to Tyler Johnson, you look at his minor/junior numbers and you see that, more often than not, the guy has been a point per game (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less) guy, and when matched with equally skilled line mates, such as a Steven Stamkos, he can do that at the NHL level as well.

Yes, I do worry about Johnson's (and Palat's for that matter) production after those outstanding rookie seasons, but I think Johnson will come through just fine.

Especially if he is kept with Stamkos. Those two have quickly developed great chemistry.

No offense to MSL (I still love the guy), but after Stamkos looked a bit lost after Marty's departure, he quickly adjusted, and became the type of player that makes OTHERS better around him... i.e. Johnson.

Unless there is real good reason for it, I can't see Coach Cooper splitting up Johnson and Stamkos.

Hell, both are centers, yet Stammer is willing to play wing to continue both their production rates with Johnson at center on the top line.

Also, under this scenario (both Johnson and Stammer on the top line) Johnson can even be allowed to go crazy in the offensive zone while teams are zeroed in on Stamkos.

Why? Because although Stamkos is still a primarily an offense-first type player, his 200 foot game has been coming along nicely.

He can be seen many times backchecking on plays, positioning himself as a 'safety valve' while his linemates and/or a defensman move in below the  hash marks, and even if he misplays his position, at this stage of his career, has the burning speed to run down players going the other way.

This should provide great relief and opportunity for a guy like Johnson and whomever else is playing the other wing, as they know they can just do what they like to do best: make offense happen.

And if teams adjust and start to target Johnson? Well, Tyler can go into playmaker mode (he can do that well too, as you pointed out, he IS creative) and feed Stamkos the puck and let #91's laser shots find their way to the net.

Really excited to see how these things will play out!

Even if Johnson "only" replicates his 24 G, 50 pt season, that would be good. Because you know there will be others on the team who will be getting their offense as well.

Still though, Johnson did much of that while Stamkos was out with injury.

Imagine his numbers if he has a healthy Stamkos with him for the MAJORITY of the year.

Barring that sophomore slump, 30-35 G, 60-75 pts on the season wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility...especially if the Bolts get their PP going from the word "GO".

In short, top six for MIN at this time, IMO,

1-Parise-Granlund-Pominville

2-Vanek-Coyle-Niedderreiter

Again, will get into detail later, and these are still up in the air as well due to Nino still sitting as an RFA, not knowing the status of Jason Zucker on the team, and how Mikko Koivu will fit in (last season, he was in and out of the top six.

As promised a few posts ago, here are my top six forwards write up for the Minnesota Wild.

Quoted myself for easy reference.

Right now, the Wild top six is still somewhat fluid. In fact, unless some of the young players really take hold of a spot, that may be the case most of the year.

I say line 1 could still look like what I put earlier:

1-Parise-Granlund-Pominville

The second line center could still be Charlie Coyle, and he could be flanked by either Niedderreiter (who is STILL an RFA) or the newly re-signed Jason Zucker or Erik Haula, or of course, Thomas Vanek.

Mikko Koivu, the captain and longtime top six guy for the team in the past, may find himself more on the 3rd line leading a scoring/checking line, but still see PP and PK time as well.

Last season, the first three centers could be seen flip flopping positions based on who was playing best at the time, game situations, and what kind of game the Wild needed to employ on a given opponent.

Each of the top three centers brings a different flavor.

Granlund, speed, shot and some playmaking.....Coyle, checking, a bit of snarl, good hands down low, and skating....Koivu, veteran experience, heavy checking, underrated playmaking ability, and yes, he can put the puck in the net if he has to.

Like I said, fluid.

That may be the case again this season.

Sooo, will go with this for now, keeping in mind Nino Niederreiter's RFA status, but assuming he WILL be signed:

1-Parise-Granlund-Pominville/Vanek

2-Zucker/Niedderreiter-Coyle-Pominville/Vanek

Mikko Koivu and even Erik Haula could also find themselves playing top six minutes throughout the season as well.

Koivu is one of those guys whose overall game, not many people appreciate, and can play just as effectively on top six line as a bottom six one...although, I've been saying this for a few seasons now, on any deep team, he makes the PERFECT and elite 3C, where the third line is not only the shut down/checking line, but can double, depending on who he has with him as a legit 3rd scoring line.

Should Mikael Granlund struggle a bit (teams sometimes really zero in on the smallish center and beat him up pretty bad with checking, hampering his offensive abilities for stretches), Mikko Koivu can be leapfrogged onto the top line with Zach Parise and Pominville/Vanek just as well, due to his ability to make room for linemates while still making good general offensive plays.

This would leave Charlie Coyle in the ideal (at least at his point in his young career), 2C position.

No offense to MSL (I still love the guy), but after Stamkos looked a bit lost after Marty's departure, he quickly adjusted, and became the type of player that makes OTHERS better around him... i.e. Johnson.

Could not agree more, the mark of a true superstar, the ability to make an average player into a very good one, and a very good player into a star. His creativity makes all the other players on the ice dangerous. Wonderful vision, sees the little nuances much quicker than normal players.

He can be seen many times backchecking on plays, positioning himself as a 'safety valve' while his linemates and/or a defensman move in below the hash marks, and even if he misplays his position, at this stage of his career, has the burning speed to run down players going the other way.

I've noticed the same thing, Stammer is more interested in the defensive aspects of his game than he used to be. He's a smart guy, he knows if he wants to go down as an all time great, he will have to play a 200 foot game. We've talked about it a lot on this board, when Stevie Y went from an offensive juggernaut to a hockey God, it was due to his penchant for defense. Most elite players crave recognition from their piers, and in hockey, that is earned though the 200 ft game.....ie Datsuyk. I can see Stammer heading down this road, he knows if he wants a Cup, his game should be constantly evolving....striving to be the very best he can be.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  Assuming Johnson plays in all 82 games...

The worst he could do (including some sort of Sophomore Slump scenario).....is 55 points. If he stays with Stammer and plays on the top pp, I can see 85-87 pts being within his reach...a lot of things would have to go right, but he has sick skill and wicked talent around him, it's not as crazy as it sounds. He will be one of the big wildcards in fantasy hockey this year. Very interested to see where he goes in some mocks.

If I was forced to pick a number for him, I'd go with 74.

That might make a good idea for a thread, project the point totals for various players for the 2014-15 season. Maybe we can get 101 to give away a one year membership for the winner, who knows?  I am a little worried about giving away to much strategy for the upcoming fantasy hockey season...(being the champ and all  :thumbsu: :thumbsu: ), but in reality, we would all be pretty close in our predictions I'd guess.  Would be fun to check back when the playoffs start and see who saw the season clearly.