AHL to Implement 3-on-3 OT This Year

brelic

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ahl-rule-changes-include-3-on-3-overtime-and-thats-awesome/

The OT will be 7 minutes long, and the first 3 minutes are 4-on-4 until the first whistle inside of 4:00 remaining. Then they switch to 3-on-3. If it's still tied, they go to the shootout.

That will be interesting to watch. I would guess that you'll see at least 50% more OT games settled before going to shootout.

@brelic

I love it! I detest the shootout, this may not be quite what was intended when the game was invented, but it is a lot better than a shootout. I hope the NHL looks long and hard at the way it is done and adopts it for the following season. Kenny Holland and the Wings have been pushing for this for a long time, hoping it comes to fruition.

Love it.

Anyone who has played 3-on-3 extensively (there are entire hockey schools organized around it) knows that it separates the wheat from the chaffe. Incomplete players are exposed. Slow players are exposed. Dumb players are exposed. 

As it should be.

Love it.

Replace the shootout entirely with 3-on-3 to the death and I'm on board

Haha, I read that in a much more sinister way, and I love it. 

"And now, we begin the 3 on 3 overtime period. TO THE DEATH!"

Do the dead players' cap hits come off the books?

Not if it's a 35-and-over contract.

Thankfully we don't have any of those that I'm worried about getting rid of.

EDIT: Whoops, there's Streit.

I like it! Bettman thinks the shootout is exciting, what till they get a load THIS!

I do like the idea that play will not be stopped intentionally at a specific time to begin the 3 on 3.  I also think the extra 2 minutes of OT will force coaches to use more of their bench. The league now needs to get rid of the trapezoid rule so active goalies with skating skills and puck control can play a larger role.

I do like the idea that play will not be stopped intentionally at a specific time to begin the 3 on 3.  I also think the extra 2 minutes of OT will force coaches to use more of their bench. The league now needs to get rid of the trapezoid rule so active goalies with skating skills and puck control can play a larger role.

Ya, especially now that we have a goalie who can actually handle a puck.  :thumbsu:

This is prime spot for teams with an elite top 6 to show their stuff. Being able to throw out a plithora of speed and skill will be just deadly in a 3 on 3 setting. You can throw out your big stopper like a Duncan Kieth, but inevitably, he will have to come off and you are left with a slower d-man facing deadly speed = goals.

Thankfully we don't have any of those that I'm worried about getting rid of.

EDIT: Whoops, there's Streit.

I don't think Striet's deal is 35+ , he might be 35 now though .

Cap Geek says it is, but that is not how I remember that signing. If it is....crap.

• 6 months later...

AHL approves formation of Pacific Division

http://theahl.com/ahl-approves-formation-of-pacific-division-p196033

The Board has approved the following:

• The Anaheim Ducks will purchase the Norfolk Admirals AHL franchise and will relocate it from Norfolk, Va., to San Diego, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Calgary Flames will relocate from Glens Falls, N.Y., to Stockton, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Edmonton Oilers will relocate from Oklahoma City, Okla., to Bakersfield, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the Los Angeles Kings will relocate from Manchester, N.H., to Ontario, Calif.

• The AHL franchise owned by the San Jose Sharks will relocate from Worcester, Mass., to San Jose, Calif.

Full division alignments and schedule formats for the 2015-16 season will be determined by the Board of Governors at a later date.

“Relocating five teams is a complex process, and we are very excited to have brought this initiative to a successful outcome,” said Andrews. “The Western-based NHL clubs have been in dialogue with our league for almost three years, and today’s announcement launches a new era for the American Hockey League and for professional hockey in California.”

“This is a wonderful growth opportunity for the game of hockey in the Western region and it will have a tremendous impact for years to come,” said Luc Robitaille, President of Business Operations for the Los Angeles Kings. “I want to commend each of the participating clubs, along with Dave Andrews, Bill Daly and Gary Bettman, for their commitment, patience and willingness to work through a very challenging but worthwhile process in order to get to this day.”

“The immense growth of the game of hockey in the state of California shows that hockey fans here love the game and they support it,” said San Jose Sharks Chief Operating Officer John Tortora. “Having our top prospects playing on the same coast as our National Hockey League team will greatly enhance our ability to monitor and enhance their development. The creation of this Pacific Division of the American Hockey League has been a long time in the making and is the result of an immense amount of hard work by the AHL, the NHL and the five Pacific Division teams. We are extremely excited to have this division become a reality and we can’t wait for October 2015.”

Formed in 1936, the American Hockey League serves as the top development league for players in all 30 National Hockey League organizations, as well as coaches, officials, executives, trainers and broadcasters throughout the NHL. More than 88 percent of today’s NHL players are graduates of the American Hockey League, and through the years the AHL has been home to more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

• 1 month later...

The league now needs to get rid of the trapezoid rule so active goalies with skating skills and puck control can play a larger role.

Absolutely.  Why have a rule that penalizes skill?

Are ties so unsatisfactory that all these changes need to be made?  

Having said that, I agree that 3 on 3 hockey is better than a shootout.  

But, I don't like any solution that benches the checkers and workers who kept you in the game.  Chris Nilan proposed a tongue-in-cheek answer.  He said the third OT should be played with the players going on the ice numerically.   The five lowest numbered skaters start.  When their shifts end, replace them with the next higher numbers, until you've gone through the bench.  Kinda silly, but IMHO,  I prefer it to the shootout.

Archived