AHL to Implement 3-on-3 OT This Year

brelic

Sounds like the GMs are leaning towards approving 3-on-3 OT when they meet tomorrow in Florida.

Apparently they are convinced by the AHL data, which shows games that ended in OT vs Shootout jumped from 37% to over 70% after going to 3-on-3 (don't quote me on those #s, but I heard it on TSN radio).

I hope they make the right decision cause I hate the bloody shootout.

The NHL GMs have recommended 3-on-3 OT, either the AHL format (3 min 4-on-4, followed by 3-on-3) or, maybe 5 min straight 3-on-3

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=758474&print=true

Nearly 80% of all AHL OT games this year ended in overtime via their new format and about 60% of Overtime games in the NHL went to a shootout.  

Personally I'm still in favor of the 5 min OT.  I'd like to see the NHL skip the 4 on 4 and having all of OT be via 3 on 3 before a shootout.

Nearly 80% of all AHL OT games this year ended in overtime via their new format and about 60% of Overtime games in the NHL went to a shootout.  

Personally I'm still in favor of the 5 min OT.  I'd like to see the NHL skip the 4 on 4 and having all of OT be via 3 on 3 before a shootout.

I'm don't like the shoot out I like to see a 20 minute 5 on 5 overtime playoff type for one period. First team to score wins. If no one scores,contest is a tie each team receives one point!

• 1 month later...

Well, I think 3-on-3 will result in a lot more opportunities, especially things like breakaways when a guy gets behind the defense and has a one-on-one with the goalie and as we all know those situations clearly benefit the shooter...

Oh, wait...

:ph34r:

Well, I think 3-on-3 will result in a lot more opportunities, especially things like breakaways when a guy gets behind the defense and has a one-on-one with the goalie and as we all know those situations clearly benefit the shooter...

Oh, wait...

Yeah no doubt...Berube says G's confidence is shot.......................wonder why?

Oh, wait...

I can't figure out why Edmonton would want a AHL team in California??? 

I can't figure out why Edmonton would want a AHL team in California??? 

It's a selling point for bottom tier UFA's.....if you don't crack our roster, you can still do crack and surf!!

Archived