Anyone know of this Kevin Hayes Blackhawks #1 pick still unsigned

Mario99

Meltzer has a bit about it in his blog today, and he sounds interesting to say the least. The Flyers would have a legitimate opening.

With Kevin Hayes declining his invitation to the Chicago Blackhawks' Development Camp it is looking increasingly likely that the former first-round pick is heading toward unrestricted free agency on Aug. 15. While not closing the door on signing with Chicago, Hayes' agent, Robert Murray, had said there are a variety of factors they will consider. Since the money on an entry-level contract will be similar wherever Hayes goes, the main factor seems to be NHL playing time next season (preferably within the top six forwards). 

I said this the other day: If I were Ron Hextall, I would be try to see if I could trade for Hayes' rights and getting him signed ahead of Aug. 15 rather than competing with a dozen or more NHL teams for the former first-round pick who is coming off a spectacular senior collegiate season at Boston College. Hayes would instantly become the Flyers' top offensive forward prospect and also arguably the most NHL-ready. As a natural winger, he plays a position of organizational need and has both good size and good skating ability.

If Hayes becomes an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15, the Blackhawks will receive a compensatory second-round draft pick from the NHL. The team that signs him would NOT have to give up a pick of its own; it would just be an extra pick granted under NHL rules. 

As such, it is probably "better" asset management to simply wait and see if your team could land Hayes as a UFA in mid-August. However, this is a case where I really do think it's beneficial to get a jump on the competition. Hayes has scoring winger upside and is an older rookie at age 22. There's a slew of NHL teams that will make a pitch to him if the Hawks can't get a deal done and he goes UFA. I would think Philly could make a pretty good pitch, seeing as how there may be an opportunity in the near future for him to play on the second line or perhaps even on Claude Giroux's line.

With the NHL's bonus cushion, Hayes' 2014-15 cap hit would not be all that tough to incorporate once the Flyers get cap-compliant to start the season. They could simply make a paper transaction to assign him the Phantoms and then immediately recall him when they get their long-term injured reserve list allowance for Chris Pronger.

@brelic

i think the question is:  can the flyers promise him top 6 ice time?  sounds like that was the issue with chicago, he doesn't want to have to work his way up, and chicago is deep up front.

aside from not knowing if he can legitimately bump simmonds from the 2nd line (presumably he isn't kicking voracek out)....i can't say i'm real impressed with a player who has never played a professional minute demanding to be *given* top 6 minutes.  if he is actually unwilling to earn a spot, to the point where he'd refuse his first NHL contract, refuse to even show to a prospect camp...do you really want him on your team?

imagine how entitled a kid has to be to say, "no, NHL team, I don't want to come and show you what i can do, much less earn my way up the ladder.  i want to go straight to the top of your depth chart, or i'm not interested."

i gotta say pass.

• Like 2

@brelic

i think the question is:  can the flyers promise him top 6 ice time?  sounds like that was the issue with chicago, he doesn't want to have to work his way up, and chicago is deep up front.

aside from not knowing if he can legitimately bump simmonds from the 2nd line (presumably he isn't kicking voracek out)....i can't say i'm real impressed with a player who has never played a professional minute demanding to be *given* top 6 minutes.  if he is actually unwilling to earn a spot, to the point where he'd refuse his first NHL contract, refuse to even show to a prospect camp...do you really want him on your team?

imagine how entitled a kid has to be to say, "no, NHL team, I don't want to come and show you what i can do, much less earn my way up the ladder.  i want to go straight to the top of your depth chart, or i'm not interested."

i gotta say pass.

If that's his attitude, I tend to agree with you. I don't think 'entitled' players fit within Hextall's vision given the way he talks about Laughton, Morin, Ghost, etc. No one has a spot, they have to earn it. 

I don't know the entire story about Hayes, so if that's what it really is, I'm not really interested either. But if it's more along the lines of Hayes knowing that even if he cracks the Hawks roster, there's no place on the top 6 for him for a while, that's a little more reasonable (albeit still an entitled attitude). I remember reading something the other day about McGinn and that he likely had no place here in Philly on the Flyers roster, so they moved him to a place where he can legitimately make the roster. I don't know that McGinn was the one demanding a trade, though. I'll try to find that article.

I'm intrigued, seems like a talented player, but the risk of giving the kid top 6 minutes from the get go....it might cause problems in the locker room. For instance, I'm sure B.Schenn would not look favorably on this type of demand. He had to work hard to secure his spot in the top 6, now this kid just walks in and gets him handed to him on a silver platter...gotta say this kids attitude stinks...but I'd do my due diligence on him regardless.

I'm intrigued, seems like a talented player, but the risk of giving the kid top 6 minutes from the get go....it might cause problems in the locker room. For instance, I'm sure B.Schenn would not look favorably on this type of demand. He had to work hard to secure his spot in the top 6, now this kid just walks in and gets him handed to him on a silver platter...gotta say this kids attitude stinks...but I'd do my due diligence on him regardless.

Did Schenn really have to work hard to get top 6 minutes? I somehow remember him being a 2nd line guy from the moment we got him, because, well, that's what he was expected to be.

Does that sound right?

Schenn played mostly on the 3rd/4th lines in his first season, IIRC. Maybe some time on Briere's wing, but he was 11th out of the forwards in ATOI that season.

Schenn played mostly on the 3rd/4th lines in his first season, IIRC. Maybe some time on Briere's wing, but he was 11th out of the forwards in ATOI that season.

Ahh, thanks AJ. I think he had a few injuries too, right? He missed the start of the season due to injury, then got a concussion, I think.

Anyway, it seems he had to earn his minutes over at least a season. 

I think we're are jumping to conclusions a bit here. I can't imagine the kid is looking for guaranteed top 6 mins, more like looking for a legit shot at getting top line mins in the near future. That's not happening in Chicago.

But hey, a 6 foot 3, 205 lb LW who can skate and has a high talent ceiling? forget top 6, how'd you like a legit shot at playing with Claude Giroux and Jake Voracek? That should be the Flyers pitch should the opportunity arise, becasue they can genuinely offer the kid a chance to play with top level talent.  No guarantees, just opportunity. If he's got some maturity issues I don't mind him working them out in a Flyers uni.  The Chief strikes me as guy with little patience for that nonsense, he'd handle it quickly.

Problem is every team in the league will be making their best pitch for him, and I hear he's good buddies with Johnny Gaudreau.

• Like 1

@ClassicJ  So, maybe the Flames have the inside edge here? Johnny Gaudreau scored in his first ever NHL game last year for the Flames. They would make a real nice duo for the Flames...could see it being a nice fit, a Hayes and Johnny.G combo.

@jammer2

Maybe.  I've just heard it said that the two of them are friends and I'm sure the flames would love to add Hayes. They have as good a shot as anyone I suppose, if actually does refuse to sign in Chicago.

I like to think the Flyers are at least kicking tires here, in the hopes they can work out a trade and sign situation.

• 4 weeks later...

@ClassicJ  I'm not hopeful from a Flyers perspective, but they would be remiss in ignoring the situation and at least "kick the tires" as you alluded to. It would be negligent to ignore the kid altogether.

So any word anywhere on this kid i know they have until the 15th to get something worked out???? I hope Hexy is in on him could use a BIG winger like this.

Bump

Nothing really new on this, but it certainly looks like he won't be signing in CHI. His agent hasn't talked to them in weeks.

CGY looks likely because of the Gaudreau connection, but maybe he'd prefer to stay in the States.

I'll be watching this over the next 48 hrs...

Boston. mark my words

Yeah you might be right (ha! look at your sig! Of course you are)

It's CGY, BOS or NYR (he played with Kreider at Bos College in his first year there plus it's the Rangers). The only thing that will make him choose CGY is ice time. He would be there #2 RW easily. Not so much in BOS.

@Podein25   I just can't see Boston. What are the Bruins to do, tell the young star Riley Smith or the veteran Loui Ericksson, sorry, you've been demoted to 3rd line to make room for this kid who has never played a game in the pros.....LMAO. Um...yeah, like that would go over well. Can you say "instant locker room rift"  LOL!! 

On top of this, the Bruins just "don't" have the cap space to sign the kid to a rookie max contract with a few mill of bonus. They are already between a rock and a hard place with the Riley Smith and Torey Krug pending contracts. They literally can't sign them both without moving someone else first (thus, the Johnny Boychuk trade rumors).....I just can't see the Bruins being able to pull this off.

Maybe I am being an ignoramus on this whole Kevin Hayes situation, but WHY wouldn't a young up n comer like him WANT to sign with a team like Chicago?

Great hockey city, rabid fanbase, they field a contender every year, have a good core of players that will be good for many years that he could play with, and the Hawks are in arguably the most exciting division top to bottom in the entire NHL?

I get the whole Calgary Flames thing...the ice time that was mentioned and the former college linemates there......but still, Calgary may be aways from being a real contender for the playoffs....

I can see the NY Rangers thing.....bright lights, big city, much exposure, and a good team there...but again, Chicago can offer that too...

Boston Bruins?

Ok...he went to Boston College, but really, unless he just has an insane love for the city of Boston, I don't see what the draw for him there would be....they are mostly defensive oriented team, are aging a bit in some areas (and may be even be due for a down year or two), PLUS, as was also mentioned, the team is pretty good depth wise...meaning he won't see the ice time he would playing on the other teams.

So can anyone shed some light for me as to why he couldn't come to some sort of agreement with a seemingly good fit in Chicago?

The ONLY thing I can see bad there is the Hawks are over the cap limit, and thus did not want to offer Hayes a max type EL contract....if there is such a thing as MAX contracts for EL guys.S

And what about the Florida Panthers as another possible team he could play for?

Young up n coming team, they've got the cap space, he will get plenty of ice time, he gets to play on the same team as his brother, they play a very fast up-tempo style, have a legit #1 goalie in Roberto Luongo, and the Cats aren't as far off from being a contender for the playoffs as some may think.

Maybe I am being an ignoramus on this whole Kevin Hayes situation, but WHY wouldn't a young up n comer like him WANT to sign with a team like Chicago?

Great hockey city, rabid fanbase, they field a contender every year, have a good core of players that will be good for many years that he could play with, and the Hawks are in arguably the most exciting division top to bottom in the entire NHL?

I get the whole Calgary Flames thing...the ice time that was mentioned and the former college linemates there......but still, Calgary may be aways from being a real contender for the playoffs....

I can see the NY Rangers thing.....bright lights, big city, much exposure, and a good team there...but again, Chicago can offer that too...

Boston Bruins?

Ok...he went to Boston College, but really, unless he just has an insane love for the city of Boston, I don't see what the draw for him there would be....they are mostly defensive oriented team, are aging a bit in some areas (and may be even be due for a down year or two), PLUS, as was also mentioned, the team is pretty good depth wise...meaning he won't see the ice time he would playing on the other teams.

So can anyone shed some light for me as to why he couldn't come to some sort of agreement with a seemingly good fit in Chicago?

The ONLY thing I can see bad there is the Hawks are over the cap limit, and thus did not want to offer Hayes a max type EL contract....if there is such a thing as MAX contracts for EL guys.S

And what about the Florida Panthers as another possible team he could play for?

Young up n coming team, they've got the cap space, he will get plenty of ice time, he gets to play on the same team as his brother, they play a very fast up-tempo style, have a legit #1 goalie in Roberto Luongo, and the Cats aren't as far off from being a contender for the playoffs as some may think.

From what I've been able to surmise TFG26, CHI's cap issues would prevent KH from maxing out his bonuses and such in his ELC. The amount I've seen quoted is $3.75M.

In short, it's about money. I'm not sure I would want the entitled little prick. It's not like he's a once-in-a-generation talent or anything....

@brelic

I'm hearing he has 3rd-4th line potential as an NHLer on a good team. As a RW, he's not taking Voraceks place. And I highly doubt he's taking Simmonds place on the 2nd line. And if he refuses to sign with Chicago, I'm guessing he'd refuse to play any other position than what he wants.