Roenick on Mason, Flyers

brelic

Mason is a talented goalie with potential, but not a sure thing. If he plays well, stats be damned, I'll be convinced.

Gone are the days of Roy, Brodeur, Hasek...and everyone else.

It's hard to identify goalie skill by stats due to how important systems and team play are. The eye test isn't objective.

What I do know is this: people wonder if Mason playing the whole NYR series gets his team a win, meanwhile facing Fleury in the playoffs is like shooting fish in a barrel. They are not in the same tier in my opinion, and neither are top five.

See Mason has outstanding stats as a Flyer compare them....

42-22-7 2.08gaa 934% in a Flyer uniform....that to for a 26 year old is outstanding!!!!!

42-22-7 2.08gaa 934% in a Flyer uniform....that to for a 26 year old is outstanding!!!!!

Agreed, but he's inconsistent in my opinion. I want a larger sample set too.

To be top five, the par is Lundqvist, Quick, and Price.

Plus radoran has some stat somewhere that makes Mason look like Bryz, which while doesn't nearly tell the entire story, isn't a ringing endorsement either.

• Like 1

Not being obtuse, but where do those numbers come from?

Regular season:   37-20-7  157 GA    56.81 TOI/G   2.44 GAA   1966 SA   1809 SV   .920 SV%  4 SO

Postseason            2-2-0     8 GA       48.44 TOI/G    1.97 GAA    131 SA   123 SV    .939 SV%     0 SO

As a Flyer             39-22-7   165 GA   56.26 TOI/G    2.41 GAA     2097 SA   1932 SV   .921 SV%   4 SO

(using ESPN stats)

Still not at horrible. Pretty good, actually.  But not unworldly.

Not being obtuse, but where do those numbers come from?

Regular season: 37-20-7 157 GA 56.81 TOI/G 2.44 GAA 1966 SA 1809 SV .920 SV% 4 SO

Postseason 2-2-0 8 GA 48.44 TOI/G 1.97 GAA 131 SA 123 SV .939 SV% 0 SO

As a Flyer 39-22-7 165 GA 56.26 TOI/G 2.41 GAA 2097 SA 1932 SV .921 SV% 4 SO

(using ESPN stats)

Still not at horrible. Pretty good, actually. But not unworldly.

Mine inuded this past postseason stats to. Mason save percentage 933% in better than Rask's 931%....just saying....;)

Don't use espn stats they are wrong I quoted accurate stats....espn is hockey but not the good kind

Edited by OccamsRazor

Mine inuded this past postseason stats to. Mason save percentage 933% in better than Rask's 931%....just saying.... ;)

Don't use espn stats they are wrong I quoted accurate stats....espn is hockey but not the good kind

Sorry, those numbers just are not correct.  HockeyDB, TSN, and ESPN all have the same.  And in my chart I showed just regular season, postseason, and combined.  He does not have a .933% save percentage as a Flyer.  Sorry, but he just doesn't.  It's .921

I did all the work myself before I found this, but the regular season stats on the site below match mine.  His 4 1/2 games of postseason just don't change it that dramatically.  My numbers are accurate.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/masonst01.html

The numbers that the Flyers' site does list match mine as well.  http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473461

Sorry, those numbers just are not correct.  HockeyDB, TSN, and ESPN all have the same.  And in my chart I showed just regular season, postseason, and combined.  He does not have a .933% save percentage as a Flyer.  Sorry, but he just doesn't.  It's .921

I did all the work myself before I found this, but the regular season stats on the site below match mine.  His 4 1/2 games of postseason just don't change it that dramatically.  My numbers are accurate.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/masonst01.html

The numbers that the Flyers' site does list match mine as well.  http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473461

Yeah you're right I looked at the total last with Columbus added. I'm on my phone at work I have to look at it agin later when I get home.

He does not have a .933% save percentage as a Flyer.  Sorry, but he just doesn't.  It's .921

Well i don't claim to be a math scholar by any mean so lets keep it simple shall we.

His sv% 944% from 12-13 plus his sv% from this past regular season 917% then add in his sv % from the playoffs 939%....averages out to 933%.........no????

Your calculator has something different???

That is the way i crunched the numbers.

The wins loss i mixed up with his total including games in Columbus which i noted earlier.

Also i'm not debating weather or not he is a top 5 goaltender. I can't put him there yet but he has the potential but lets just see if he can improve on last year before i try to predict anything like that. I like his play this past playoff he is the only reason it went 7 games and kept it close in the 7th game.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Well i don't claim to be a math scholar by any mean so lets keep it simple shall we.

His sv% 944% from 12-13 plus his sv% from this past regular season 917% then add in his sv % from the playoffs 939%....averages out to 933%.........no????

Your calculator has something different???

That is the way i crunched the numbers.

The wins loss i mixed up with his total including games in Columbus which i noted earlier.

Also i'm not debating weather or not he is a top 5 goaltender. I can't put him there yet but he has the potential but lets just see if he can improve on last year before i try to predict anything like that. I like his play this past playoff he is the only reason it went 7 games and kept it close in the 7th game.

You can't just roll the seasons together that way though bud. His .944 was over SEVEN games. @ruxpin is right. 1809 saves out of 1966 regular season shots faced as a Flyer. That's a .920 save%.

• Like 1

You can't just roll the seasons together that way though bud. His .944 was over SEVEN games. @ruxpin is right. 1809 saves out of 1966 regular season shots faced as a Flyer. That's a .920 save%.

Ok i was just doing it the quick way just adding the save percentages together. He was doing it the way they actually calculate the stats. TSN doesn't show the number of saves just goals allowed and shots against. NHL.com does.

None the less he isn't top 5 maybe top is arguable he is a improvement form Bryz no doubt.

If they only had Mason in 2010.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor  Mason has the *potential* to be a top 5 goalie, he needs to show a tad more consistency, and get some more help from his (sometimes) putrid defense. His glove hand, side to side movement....they are all real close to top 10. This is a big year for Mason. We will get a lot better feel for just where he fits in with his piers.

• Like 2

I like you, OR, so I'm going to refrain since @Polaris922 already commented.   :cool[1]:

like i said i didn't realize you added all the saves and shots together and did the math the way they come up with that stat...i didn't have that time since i was at work i just added the save percentages together and divided it by 3 for the avarage way quicker but i guess not as accurate. It's all good i like you too ruxoran!!!! :wub[1]:

If they only had Mason in 2010.

I don't know if it'd work out like that. For all the (justifiable) crap Leighton takes for that final goal (and maybe the finals in general), the guy was special up to that point. He's a crap goalie, but found some serious mojo that spring. Not sure that Flyers make the finals that year with anyone but him. Goaltending is weird like that.

I don't know if it'd work out like that. For all the (justifiable) crap Leighton takes for that final goal (and maybe the finals in general), the guy was special up to that point. He's a crap goalie, but found some serious mojo that spring. Not sure that Flyers make the finals that year with anyone but him. Goaltending is weird like that.

Boosh had a big hand in it, before friendly fire.

Boosh had a big hand in it, before friendly fire.

True. That was some of the best cobbled together goaltending I've ever seen. These guys are all terrible, but look at them go!

The Flyers were outclassed in so many situations, it was only above-class goaltending that got them that far. They ultimately buckled, but the flyers don't make the finals with a "better" goalie. They lose game six against Boston with anyone other than Leighton, guy had it going on at exactly the right time.

• Like 1

I don't know if it'd work out like that.

Yeah i know. No one has yet to do what Leighton did with his 3 shutouts in one playoff series versus Montreal.

And it was Boosh who won the game in OT to get them into the playoffs, that is Boosh above in my avatar (in case noone knows what that is) celebrating after making the win stop in OT on Olli Jokinen in the most famous OT win in Flyers history.

Boosh beating one of the best OT goalie in the league at the time Lundqvist. 

True. That was some of the best cobbled together goaltending I've ever seen. These guys are all terrible, but look at them go!

The Flyers were outclassed in so many situations, it was only above-class goaltending that got them that far. They ultimately buckled, but the flyers don't make the finals with a "better" goalie. They lose game six against Boston with anyone other than Leighton, guy had it going on at exactly the right time.

Boosh was good, but ruined by Philly. Just not a great goalie.

Agreed on the rest. No way should that post season have even been possible. It's also my favorite Flyers post season, period.

It's also my favorite Flyers post season, period.

Yes my guy was in knots with that shootout loser goes home versus the Rags already know Flyers weren't good in the shootout....but i was excited as hell after getting in man that was gut wrenching Giroux with the game winner versus one of the best in the leagues....outstanding.

May have been different if Leighton had told someone he was hurt....but Johan Backlund i'm afraid wouldn't have fared any better.

It's also my favorite Flyers post season, period.

Whole post season, yes, but that 03-04 series against Toronto is still the single best playoff series I've ever seen. Was a complete war. Go Esche and Burke!

Whole post season, yes, but that 03-04 series against Toronto is still the single best playoff series I've ever seen. Was a complete war. Go Esche and Burke!

Geebus, that was ten years ago. I'm freaking ancient.

• Like 2

Boosh was good, but ruined by Philly. Just not a great goalie.

Agreed on the rest. No way should that post season have even been possible. It's also my favorite Flyers post season, period.

Boosh was his own worst enemy. He was a mentally fragile goaltender his first go round in Philadelphia and his agent at the time (Tom Laidlaw) certainly didn't help matters by trying to strong arm the Flyers into a new contract after Boosh's playoff run during the 2000 playoffs. By the time a deal was in place, Boosh missed most of training camp, lost the starter's position to Cechmanek and was never the same after that. He whined, he wasn't prepared to play when called upon and when he did, he wasn't very good (his numbers for the 99 - 00 season were 20 - 10 - 3, 1.91 GAA, .918 Save Percentage; his numbers for the 00 - 01 season were 8 - 12 - 5, 3.27 GAA, .876 Save Percentage and his numbers for the 01 - 02 season were 18 - 16 - 4, 2.41 GAA, .903 Save Percentage). 

I honestly don't understand who the Flyers ruined him. If anything, I place the blame on Boosh's agent. Laidlaw hamstrung Boosh by having him hold out for a big contract. Ultimately, they signed the contract the Flyers offered but it was at a big cost to Boosh. He missed out on training camp, he showed up out of shape and was in no position to claim the starter's role. Laidlaw ruined Boosh. 

I honestly don't understand who the Flyers ruined him. If anything, I place the blame on Boosh's agent. Laidlaw hamstrung Boosh by having him hold out for a big contract. Ultimately, they signed the contract the Flyers offered but it was at a big cost to Boosh. He missed out on training camp, he showed up out of shape and was in no position to claim the starter's role. Laidlaw ruined Boosh. 

boucher ruined boucher.  especially the first half of his career, he had serious skating and angle problems.  he tended to lock into his set position with his weight back on his skates, making play-following adjustments slow and awkward, and to compensate he'd stay overly deep in his net.  he saw the puck well, and had good raw reactions, but that flaw in his technique tended to put him behind the play and allowed a lot of pucks to get around him.

no one ruined boucher, he was a backup level talent who fell to a backup level spot on the depth charts of whatever team he was with at the moment.

• Like 1