POLL: MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT IN PHOENIX COYOTE HISTORY

yave1964

Greatest moment in Coyote history  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest moment in Coyote History?

• Making it to the Western Conference final in 2012
    • Defeating the Champion Blackhawks in 6 games for first ever post season victory
    • Brian Boucher- 5 consecutive shutouts!!
    • Wayne Gretzky becomes owner/Coach/Managing partner/Peanut Vendor
    • Shane Doan the last of the original 'Yotes still going and going and going
    • Other

Part 2 of 30, running one of these for each of the 30 teams in the NHL, trying to knock off a few easy ones first to get my sea legs.

When doing the Phoenix Coyotes I decided not to do the Jets of either the NHL or the WHA, the WHA incantation winning back to back cups with Bobby Hull and the Swedes would have been a no brainer but that belongs to another time and place. So this is strictly the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes i am doing here.

The Coyotes have not had the most success in the league since moving to the desert from the frozen tundra of Winnipeg. In fact until 2012, they had not won a single post season series and are constantly being rumored to be on the move. Here are, in no order, my choices for the top moments in 'Yotes history.

WAYNE GRETZKY RIDES IN AND SAVES THE DAY.

The team was stumbling and bumbling and in trouble. On May 26, 2000, soon-to-be owner Steve Ellman announced that Wayne Gretzky would join the new Coyotes ownership group under Los Arcos Sports, LLC. Gretzky became the managing partner in charge of hockey operations. More importantly, he lent his name and visibility to a fledgling market in search of a bigger fan base and a new home in Scottsdale.

SHANE DOAN CONTINUES AS 'MR. COYOTE.'

Not a consistent all star but a character guy who leaves it on the ice every night and never seems to take a shift off. He came to Arizona with the franchise and is still there. Simply a class act.

COYOTES MAKE IT TO WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS IN 2012

In the crowning achievement to the franchise's best season to date -- one in which the team won its first division title and coach Dave Tippett won the Jack Adams Award -- the Coyotes eliminated the Nashville Predators in five games to reach their first conference final in 2012.

COYOTES DEFEAT CHAMPION BLACKHAWKS IN SIX GAMES TO ADVANCE

Hard to believe the organization had never won a series, not a single one. Raffi Torres set the tone with an absolutely filthy hit on Hossa and the cheap hits from both teams defined the series as well as the stellar netminding of Mike Smith as the Coyotes advanced past the Hawks in six games.

BRIAN BOUCHER HAS FIVE CONSECUTIVE SHUTOUTS!!

On Jan. 9, 2004, Boucher set an NHL modern-era record with his fifth consecutive shutout, making 21 saves in a 2-0 win at Minnesota. In the previous games, he shut out L.A., Dallas, Carolina and Washington. Boucher also eclipsed another NHL modern-era record in the Minnesota game when he surpassed Bill Durnan's scoreless sequence of 309 minutes and 21 seconds (set in 1948-49). Boucher's shutout sequence ended at 332:01 when he allowed a goal at 6:16 of the first period against Atlanta on Jan. 11.

boucher.jpg

My wife's all time favorite non Red Wing. She roots for the underdog,

• Like 1

I voted for Boucher, my wife LOVED the guy, she watches almost as much hockey as I do, she considers him the everyman of the sport, almost like a guy who showed up to watch a game and the team was forced to ask him to play in goal that night due to injuries and no better option. When he defeated Lundqvist in the shootout in 2010 to take the last playoff spot away from the Rangers, I pretty much guarantee that she was yelling as loud as any of you Flyer fans. Of course she pronounces his name like Adam Sandler did in the waterboy when he played Bobby Boucher........

• Like 1

Shouldn't this be in the shortest book ever written thread?  LOL, when an ex-player coming in as a coach is the highlight....geez. I guess it would be their trip to the conference finals.

• Like 2

Shouldn't this be in the shortest book ever written thread?  LOL, when an ex-player coming in as a coach is the highlight....geez. I guess it would be their trip to the conference finals.

LOL!! I have been trying to knock out a few easy ones to get the ball rolling, turns out when they are this boring and bad finding highlights is more difficult than it would be for some good teams.

I am only going back to 1967, you and some of the guys might have some Howie Morentz stories and the Rocket Richard riot might be known to some of us but not all, so the expansion era is going to be my cutoff. HF says I might need to throw some pre 1967 highlights in for the Leafs, lol.

I have a few additions.

Darian Hatcher breaking Jeremy Roenicks Jaw

Shane Doan scoring his first Hattrick after 1161 games.

Mikes Smiths goal with 0.1 sec left as the Coyotee's swept the Red Wings season series.   ;) 

Most memorable moment was their announcing the move from Winnipeg. It's been completely forgettable ever since.

Seriously, the most memorable thing about them is their ownership issues. Nothing on ice even comes remotely to mind.

@yave1964

LOL!! I have been trying to knock out a few easy ones to get the ball rolling, turns out when they are this boring and bad finding highlights is more difficult than it would be for some good teams.

I am only going back to 1967, you and some of the guys might have some Howie Morentz stories and the Rocket Richard riot might be known to some of us but not all, so the expansion era is going to be my cutoff. HF says I might need to throw some pre 1967 highlights in for the Leafs, lol.

LMAO....friggin Howie Morenz....I'm almost 50, not almost 100!!!  I totally understand though, some of these team will be challenging finding some highlights that stand out.

I cant wait until you do the Florida Panthers: "Remember that time when we actually got 500 people in the stands? Ahhhhhh yes, good times."

Yah for them I think might be "remember that time we threw plastic rats on the ice everytime we scored, then beat the Flyers to close down the Spectrum in the playoffs". Ouch.

Posted · Hidden by hf101, July 20, 2014 - NSFW
Hidden by hf101, July 20, 2014 - NSFW

Yah for them I think might be "remember that time we threw plastic rats on the ice everytime we scored, then beat the Flyers to close down the Spectrum in the playoffs". Ouch.

I'm going to go with *the* Florida Panthers fan.  NSFW.

http://view.break.com/689397

Geez, that's not a "Ouch"....that is a damn repeated knife to the gut...and then twisted to the left and right until you're disemboweled. The ***** Panthers took us out, in our own arena....an arena where Cups were won. You don't expect to close out a building with Lord Stanley, but damn....don't lose to a friggin Florida team....Good LORD.

• Like 1

Geez, that's not a "Ouch"....that is a damn repeated knife to the gut...and then twisted to the left and right until you're disemboweled. The ***** Panthers took us out, in our own arena....an arena where Cups were won. You don't expect to close out a building with Lord Stanley, but damn....don't lose to a friggin Florida team....Good LORD.

Now thats the words of a brother feeling my pain! I remember leaving the building after that double OT loss, my dad saying something about what day the next series would start....I shook my head and said "I think you just saw the last game at the Spectrum". ****

Edited by sarsippius
  • Like 1