Rate your teams Defense: Player Strengths/Weaknesses

J0e Th0rnton

@flyercanuck  When he signed the new deal, one of the first thing I thought was "they should pair him with Robidas"...LOL! It would give him the freedom to explore the offensive rush part of this game, as Robidas would hold down the fort if Gardiner strays from his position. There will be a lot of bumps in the road, but Garndier has to much talent to let him become someone else's project. Eventually, he will have to prove he can be counted on in his own end...that is very much up in the air right now.

@Commander Clueless

Shouldn't Gardiner and his shiny new contract play with someone who can play D? Cause he's not very good at it either. Don't get me wrong he oozes potential offensively, but I'd pair him with Robidas I think.

What, and have the Leafs actually play defense? Are you insane?

SOMEone's got to play with Franson, and it's probably going to be one of the young guys. I don't particularly want Rielly with someone who can't play defense either. :P

Like I said, I was really hoping to have someone more defensively oriented in Franson's spot. I feel like the kids need that sheltering.

I just took a stab, really.

@J0e Th0rnton

Ok, I guessed I missed that. It's nice to have options with a guy like Burns - you could dress 7 D and move him up to forward if needed. I'm pretty much amazed that you can count the number of players who have/can play both D and forward over the years on one hand. Versatility like that is a marketable commodity, especially in today's game. 

I'm looking forward to following Goldobin's progress as a Shark (thrilled that he went to SJ), so be sure to keep me posted on anything new with him  :)

You wanted new:)

Wilson just stated Goldobin has a good chance at jumping straight to the nhl due to his smarts at prospect camp

You wanted new:)

Wilson just stated Goldobin has a good chance at jumping straight to the nhl due to his smarts at prospect camp

Until he goes minus 5 and is the goat on all 5 for his terrible defensive play.;)

Thanks for the news. I knew he was very skilled but the "smarts" is new to me. It suggests he is coachable, for one thing.

Thanks again J0e

Until he goes minus 5 and is the goat on all 5 for his terrible defensive play. ;)

Thanks for the news. I knew he was very skilled but the "smarts" is new to me. It suggests he is coachable, for one thing.

Thanks again J0e

I still think his defensive play is unknown. Sarnia sucked. He was the ONLY scorer on that team and the coaches overplayed him to the point of exhaustion trying to score. Almost always playing a come from behind game.

I still think his defensive play is unknown. Sarnia sucked. He was the ONLY scorer on that team and the coaches overplayed him to the point of exhaustion trying to score. Almost always playing a come from behind game.

That latter part may be true, but I think Nikolay's basic disinterest in things going on on his team's side of center was pretty much self evident. The body language of that is not something easily hidden.

Still, I'm encouraged by your optimism. And the Sharks clearly have a steal if they can round his game out because his offensive skill is all world.