Poll: Most memorable moment in Buffalo Sabres History

yave1964

Greatest moment in Sabre team history  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest moment in Buffalo sabre history?

• Dominic Hasek six vezina's
    • Tom Barrasso Calder and Vezina in same year
    • Stanley Cup final in 1974-75 against Flyers
    • Brad May goal in 1992--93 playoffs against Bruins May Day!!
    • Gil Perrault drafted as face of franchise
    • 1999 Stanley Cup finalist against Stars
    • 2006-07 Presidents trophy and thrilling playoff run led by Drury/Briere

I am going to be doing these usually Monday Wednesday and Friday but i will be busy the first part of the week so i am knocking one out today. This installment is the Buffalo Sabre organization.

In no particular order:

DOMINIC HASEK WINS SIX VEZINAS STARRING IN NET FOR BUFFALO

The Blackhawks had Eddie Belfour in net and no need for the early twenties goalie with the strange style in net so they dealt him to the Sabres for Eric Daze, hoping that Daze would help put them over the top. While Daze went on to have a nice career it was nothing compared to the marvelous play of Hasek in what has to be considered one of the biggest heists of all time. Hasek won six Vezina trophies and even back to back Hart Trophies (the only goalie ever to do so), no offense to Roy or anyone else, Hasek was the greatest goalie of his time period.

GIL PERREAULT DRAFTED AS FACE OF THE FRANCHISE

The spinning of a roullette wheel gave the expansion Sabres the first pick in the draft in 1970-71 and they nailed it, taking Gil Perreault with the pick. Grace and skill on the ice he became the all time best player in team history.

1999 STANLEY CUP FINALS

220px-BuffaloSabres1980s.png

The Sabres led by Hasek made the cup finals in 1998-99 and lost a tough fought series to Brett Hull and the Stars on a controversial in the crease goal which was allowed in overtime of game six. It should not take anything away from the fact that his was a fine Sabre club that played its hearts out

1974-75 SABRES MAKE STANLEY CUP FINALS AGAINST FLYERS

For the first time ever two non original six clubs made the finals that year, the Sabres led by the French connection like of Martin, Robert and Perreault as well as solid players like Danny Gare and Jerry Korab gave the Flyers a tough time before bowing out in a series known for the fog game and a bat getting swatted down in the ice.

225px-Rick_Martin_Buffalo_Sabres.jpgRick Martin

TOM BARRASSO WINS CALDER AND VEZINA AS EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD!

Barrasso was thrown into the fire just months after graduating high school and proved Scotty Bowman right in putting his faith in the eighteen year old who went 26-12-3 to win the Vezina and Calder in the same season, the only goalie to ever do so.

2006-07 PRESIDENTS TROPHY AND DEEP FUN PLAYOFF RUN

The Sabres had a great year in 2006-07 winning the Presidents trophy with 113 points, led by career years from Briere and Drury and the stellar netminding of Ryan Miller, the team ran over the Islanders and Rangers on tons of overtime heroics and stellar play before bowing out in the conference finals against the Senators.

MAYDAY!! BRAD MAY OVERTIME GOAL IN 1992-93 PLAYOFFS ADVANCE SABRES PAST HATED BRUINS

The Sabres had lost so regularly to the hated Bruins that it was beyond pathetic. In the previous 11 seasons SIX TIMES they had been eliminated by the Bruins in the playoffs. Then came 1992-93 when the Sabres finally broke the curse.  Brad May on a nifty pass from Pat Lafontaine in overtime of game 4 went around Ray Bourque like he was Wayne Gretzky and scored the winner sending the sabres into the next round and Rick Jeanneret into orgiastic glee as he screamed MAY DAY! over and over. A great call, one of the greatest ever of a great goal.

I am sure i missed a few but that is my list. Any thoughts?

Brett fricken Hull

I actually voted for the 1998-99 team. They were a lot of fun, as a Wing fan, I was more worried about them than anyone in the East stopping our threepeat (I kind of overlooked those damn Avalanche and Dallas Stars). Hasek in his prime was a sight to behold. The rest of the team was rather pedestrian, there were several other incantations of the Sabres that if Hasek had been in net instead of an average netminder they would have won a cup. The 2007 Presidents Trophy team comes to mind. I cannot remember their goalies name from that team, Killer, something like that.....

The Sabres made probably one of the best trades ever when the got Hasek from the Hawks.  Probably one of the best flopping goalies ever.

I remember that trade like it was yesterday. It was made cause the Hawks thought Jimmy Waite was the "next one".....how far off they were, traded away a HOF'er for a total bum.

• 1 month later...

People in Buffalo still talk about No Goal on a weekly basis. Nothing else comes close.

They do still hate the Flyers because of 1975 though...

Nobody who ever says or thought "what if Leighton had stopped Kane" should ever make fun of No Goal just becauee it was game six.

That run also includes recognition of Hasek.

• 3 weeks later...

Those finals were no bigger than the 75 finals, and the team that won the President's Cup was far better than the team in 99.  But you should be fair about this.  If it happened to your team would you not complain?   Such a big deal was made that yaer with the crease rule, and they decide to not honor it in a Cup winning moment?  I am telling you this, it was almost 3 in the morning in the East.  And dont tell me that did not play into it.  The refs were tired and so were the players.  They wanted the game over.  But so much was at stake.  Dallas was terrified of a game 7 vs a team that was lights out on the road and had Hasek in goal.  It was robbery.  I remember Patrick hit a post in the third OT.  It very well could have been ours. Dallas fans did not deserve it as Buffalo fans are ten times bigger hockey fans than Dallas. .Just like Colorado having a Cup that belonged in Quebec City

Junkie, that was a lucid argument and I get it. There is nothing quite so painful in sports as the word 'almost'. It sucks.

Archived