playoff profits

blocker

How much money does an NHL franchise get by making the playoffs?  How much do they make per playoff game?    How much does a 7 game series profit them over a four game series? 

Anyone know?

@blocker  I think a good deal of that depends on the particular specifics of the ownership group. Some teams outright own the arena, the concessions the money from parking...other teams rent the arena and don't profit from concessions, or it's split up, some of the money going to management and some going to the particular city coffers. Every team has a different split in these types of scenarios, so the profit margins will be split up, depending on how things are drawn up. Obviously a 4 game series does not bring in the type of money that a 7 gamer would, but it guarantees you money in the following round, if you are on the winning side of course.

@blocker

Hard to say, but I would bet to a franchise that gets only 80-90% of seats filled in the regular season, getting at least 2 more home games at inflated ticket prices and a guaranteed sellout, it's huge to the bottom line. I would bet that to a team like the Isles or the 'Yotes, getting to Round 2 is the difference between red ink and black

• 3 weeks later...

It'd be interesting to delve into that.  I might do a little googling tonight.

The biggest problem is blocker that you will only see the "tax records" and not any real numbers. If you ever were able to show what the teams really make the Owners would never be able to lock out the players again........... :angry:

Many years ago, our organization was producing some quality hockey players.  So, I looked into the possibility of creating a junior team.  I had a hard, hard time getting a handle on the costs and revenue of the different teams I contacted.  Talk about playing with cards close to the vest.   I never did get a real accounting of the plus and minuses.  In the end, we decided against it because of the obvious costs of travel. 

You're right.  Owners will never tell you the truth. 

• 7 months later...

The biggest problem is blocker that you will only see the "tax records" and not any real numbers. If you ever were able to show what the teams really make the Owners would never be able to lock out the players again........... :angry:

I imagine the Owners can and will lock the players out again regardless of what number is reported. That's the glaring problem with them owning the stadiums and not the respective cities.

Archived