The Hockey Fights Thread

Yorick

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bigger they are the harder they fall....looks like the MMA training is helping!!!

Mahon had 19 fights before that one?? Looks like a ten year old trying to learn how to hide from a punch. Has he ever won any? Lol

Mahon had 19 fights before that one?? Looks like a ten year old trying to learn how to hide from a punch. Has he ever won any? Lol

It looked like it was his first ever. David versus Goliath before it starts kind of.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A very nice effort from the Chief. That was the man/beast Eric Carins he was knocking for a loop, not a push over by ANY stretch of the imagination. Eric used to bully my Spitfires to no end when he was with the Detroit Jr. Wings of the OHL...we had no answer for him...he was just a deadly fighter.

I know this is dated but just as well a nice KO by Morin none the less....enjoy...can't wait till he is a Flyer

• 5 weeks later...

I've posted this once before, best fight I have ever seen live and in person. Ryan Vanderbuche who went on the fight for Chicago....and the Spits Tom Sullivan, who just happened to be the Michigan Golden Gloves champion for 1991. Watch how the refs go to move in, and the guys start a flurry to stop them from intevening. Over a minute is a lifetime for hockey fight, these guys were gasping for breathe while throwing outright bombs right till the end. You just knew, as a fan, you were seeing something very special....great times!!

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=ryan+verbeek+spitfires+ohl&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

• 1 month later...

I watched this one on ITV in Edmonton (back when independent TV stations carried NHL games) and it turned out to be a wild one. It set a record for the most penalties called in a game (86) with a total of 356 PIM for the game. This was a nasty game, with fights and some real cheap shots. Marty McSorley goaded Messier into a fight, and went with Steve Smith twice, though he repeatedly refused to fight Dave Brown. Kelly Buchberger fought 2 players at once and had his ass kicked by each. Dave Brown absolutely dropped one player with a punch the guy didn't see coming. Jari Kurri took a crosscheck to the head from Brian Benning, of all people, and Glenn Anderson was fined a whopping $500 fine for a brutal sucker punch to Tomas Sandstrom with a taped fist:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

EDIT - Messier was not really in a position to fight McSorley that night, and was looking to tie up and end things. It should be noted that earlier in 1984, when McSorley was with the Penguins, he and Messier fought twice. McSorley left each fight with large cuts requiring stitches. Messier could fight.

In 2004, the Thrashers visited Edmonton on a cold winter night. The results were a brawl, a goalie fight, and something I hadn't seen before or since: a player standing in the wrong bench fighting a guy on the ice:

@Samifan

My favorite part of that is the 2 second cutaway to Mike Keenan and Hexy watching the brawl on TV. ..legend has it Keenan literally locked Hexy in the room

Sorry I am replying to this about a year late but speaking of Hexy who could ever forget this?  I know you know the story behind this but for those that dont, we were about to be eliminated by the Habs and Hexy decided it was as good a time as any to exact some revenge on Chellios for a very dirty hit on Brian Propp that left him in a pool of blood inside his helmet and out for the series.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/29/2016 at 4:55 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Mic'd up fights.......

Don't agree with the premise of this article, but a great read. It's called "10 knuckle draggers the NHL can do without. Radko Gudas good for #7!!!  WOooOOOO!  LOL

http://www.goliath.com/sports/last-of-the-knuckle-draggers-10-players-the-nhl-can-do-without/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=GO_OBN_US_MOBI&cus_widget=0083749d58ac42901cad73573f1fbf0db8&utm_content=nhl_premium_2017

Atta boy Zack, some Spits love!!   Kassian is a powder keg, and we are very proud of that. 

@jammer2

I agree. Great read, however, some of those names, while SURELY falling into the agitator and/or goon category, IMO, just don't belong on this list.

Zac Rinaldo, Jared Boll, Tanner Glass, Cody MacCleod...those guys I believe shouldn't really be on an NHL ice sheet simply because ALL THEY DO is rough it up and take dumb penalties...with precious little else, if anything, to offer.

Ryan Garbutt and Zack Kassian? Those guys are borderline. They've had their share of stupidity on the ice, but also have contributed to their teams in some other measures.

Radko Gudas? Nope. He is simply a throwback type defender from the days when defensemen took NO crap from forwards bothering their goalies or "candy assed" (hehe...The Rock says!) forwards who think they are just gonna waltz into the offensive zone and come out smelling like roses.

Mark Borowiecki is in the same vein.

Sure, those two guys can trace their ancestry almost directly to Cro-Magnon man, but they serve a very good deterring purpose and even contribute a bit to their team's transition game. I won't make out either to be saints by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe both are more victims of today's, "Hey, watch how you touch players!" NHL than either being legit 'dirty goon players'.

Steve Ott and Ryan Reaves?

I'll be the first to tell you...I really don't like those guys. 

Both are cement headed bully goons who seem to prefer picking fights with guys much smaller than they are while avoiding the heavyweights for the most part.....both are extreme agitators who can really derail the opposition's game plan.....both have been known for the very questionable play or two (Ott maybe  five or six..lol)....but still, I think they can, and do, play hockey when they need to, or whenever they feel their jobs as Ice A-holes is done to the team's satisfaction.

Those two are the classic "hate'm when they play against you, love'em (maybe) if they play FOR you".

They piss off the opposition and sometimes teammates alike.....but dammit, and I hate to admit it, they can play hockey.

Both very very solid HOCKEY bottom six guys and yea, they should still be in the NHL.......for now...maybe...perhaps...umm, yea. Ok...they can stay...sorta.... uh huh. Yep.  :VeryCool:

13 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Steve Ott and Ryan Reaves?

I DREAD having Ryan Reaves on the Penguins. I doubt the Flyers dress a "goon" type player this year, so every time we play the Pens, either Simmonds or Gudas will have to fight Reaves....pffft. Trading Simmonds for Reaves is a huge Pens win, same as taking a top 6 dman off the ice....varying degrees, but both will be wins for the Pens in those trade offs. Maybe that had a bit to do with the Pens interest, who knows?

5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I DREAD having Ryan Reaves on the Penguins. I doubt the Flyers dress a "goon" type player this year, so every time we play the Pens, either Simmonds or Gudas will have to fight Reaves....pffft. Trading Simmonds for Reaves is a huge Pens win, same as taking a top 6 dman off the ice....varying degrees, but both will be wins for the Pens in those trade offs. Maybe that had a bit to do with the Pens interest, who knows?

Or Simmonds can ignore him, let him take the stupid penalty, score on the pp and beat the Pens. Then Reaves doesn't dress the next time they play. 

The goon is going the way of the dodo bird...I won't miss them at all. Guys like Simmonds who can play hockey at a high standard AND fight..well those are some of my favorite players.

Archived