The Hockey Fights Thread

Yorick

10 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I DREAD having Ryan Reaves on the Penguins. I doubt the Flyers dress a "goon" type player this year, so every time we play the Pens, either Simmonds or Gudas will have to fight Reaves....pffft. Trading Simmonds for Reaves is a huge Pens win, same as taking a top 6 dman off the ice....varying degrees, but both will be wins for the Pens in those trade offs. Maybe that had a bit to do with the Pens interest, who knows?

That's how I felt when the Wild played the Blues over the last couple seasons...and even into the playoffs.

Reaves would start something with a guy like Charlie Coyle or Nino Niederreiter....both big boys too, but not near the class of goon Reaves is....and if both go off, the trade off of Reaves for Coyle or Reaves for Nino was a win for the Blues.

But therein lies the reason I think guys like Reaves, Ott, and the borderline guys Kassian and Garbutt have in the NHL: they CAN play hockey, but are also damned good as irritants or canceling out another team's better player.

Believe me, I vomited just a bit when I typed that last line, but it's true.  :Isaidnow:

As for the Flyers and Pens, yep, you best believe Reaves will try and get guys like Gudas, Simmonds, maybe even Giroux off the ice.....although, WHY the Pens would have Reaves on the ice when Giroux or even Simmonds is out there may be questionable.....Both Giroux and his line, or Simmonds and his line can burn Reaves' line, then all the goonery in the world won't help them, no? :VeryCool:

EDIT:

Look at this too:

If guys on the Flyers like that slug Dale Weise or Brandon Manning REALLY want to make themselves useful, they can get in there and take the brunt of the Pens' goonery.

IMO, those two don't offer much, but they have been known to be PIMs machines at different points. So there ya go.

Simmonds and Gudas don't have to deal with ALL the nonsense themselves.

Get some use out of Weise and Manning!  :ahappy:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Or Simmonds can ignore him, let him take the stupid penalty, score on the pp and beat the Pens. Then Reaves doesn't dress the next time they play. 

That would be the perfect scenario....BUT the way I see it going down, Reaves taking some questionable liberties with smaller Flyer players to get a reaction....Simmonds is kind of like an alpha male in that regard, he will not let stuff like that happen, especially in Philly. You gotta be smart, agreed....but you also have to possess some backbone, so it will be a tough line to straddle with Reaves IMHO.

Maybe the Flyers sacrifice a single roster spot for the division rival and call up Ghoulbourne. Is he still with the team??  He only had one goal in 24 games for Leigh Valley and ended up playing for the Reading Royals at the end of the year. What a waste of a pick....pffft Homer!! That would be something, called up from the ECHL to play for the Flyers...LOL! 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You are likely to get your fights in this series now.  After the nice hit by Wilson and the dirty filthy goal the stinking refs allowed  to Vegas to tie the game at 4.  That was BS.  It gave Vegas game one

Archived